Westmoreland @ Trousdale County

GBO52

On 10/21/2023 at 2:58 PM, BCB~MVP said:

Overall record is the first tie breaker, and all 3 would be 5-5. I think the next goes to opponents records and Montereys opponents have more wins. Monterey is in the playoffs, seed to be decided. For TC and Westy, playoffs are NOW!

Next tie breaker goes to number of opponents .500 or better, next would be number of wins over those opponents. Either way, TC has to win or they are out, our only hope for anything else was if Westmoreland lost to Portland. 

On 10/21/2023 at 7:13 PM, OldFootballPlayer said:

I could have made a clerical or mathematical error, but I counted Westmoreland’s opponents (to date) have won 53 games and Monterey’s opponents have won 51 games. However, even if I am right for now, we don’t know how many games each team’s opponents will win this week. If Westmoreland’s opponents do have more wins after this week’s games, Westmoreland beats TC, and SC beats Monterey, then Westmoreland beats out Monterey for third place. Then, applying the first tie breaker for fourth place, TC wins because with equal records, the first tie breaker is did one of the teams tied beat all the other teams tied. Since there would be only two teams tied for fourth place, and TC beat the other team tied for fourth place, TC wins the tie for fourth place even if they lose to Westmoreland.

This stuff can be confusing, and can get to be a little complex. Therefore, I wouldn’t bet the farm that my analysis above is correct, but as an Old Yellow Jacket, I just hope the playoff streak continues.

Believe the tie breaker after overall record is the number of opponents .500 or better and not the amount of games won by opponents. Then the tie breaker that comes next would be number of wins over those opponents. 

5 hours ago, Cam615 said:

Believe the tie breaker after overall record is the number of opponents .500 or better and not the amount of games won by opponents. Then the tie breaker that comes next would be number of wins over those opponents. 

You are correct. I skipped down to the fifth tie breaker, because if I counted everything correctly and Westmoreland defeats TC, and SC defeats Monterey, neither team wins the first tie breaker (I.e., one team defeated all the other teams tied for third place). Then neither team wins the second tie breaker (I.e., team with most victories - all three teams would have 5 victories. Westmoreland and Monterey would still be tied after the third tie breaker (I.e., team that plays the most teams with .500 or better records). Westmoreland and Monterey would both have played 8 teams with records of .500 or better. TC drops out because they only played 7 teams with .500 or better records. Westmoreland and Monterey would tie on the fourth tie breaker (I.e., the team with the most wins over teams with .500 or better records). Both teams’ total for tie breaker 4 would be 3. Westmoreland would win tie breaker 5 (I.e., the team whose opponents won the most games) - 53 to 51. Therefore, Westmoreland wins third place in the region and TC wins fourth place because TC wins the first tie breaker over Monterey by defeating Monterey in head-to-head competition during the regular season. All of the above assumes Westmoreland defeats TC and SC defeats Monterey. If TC defeats Westmoreland, TC finishes in third place and Monterey finishes in fourth place regardless of who wins the SC - Monterey game.

I don’t guarantee that all of the above is accurate. If you see an error, please point it out to me.

6 hours ago, 3rdandLong said:

Should be easy to coach him up in a couple of days. 

Apparently he doesn’t he found his stride today during practice. He played in California but when they moved down his grades weren’t good so his dad said he couldn’t play until he got them up. Best news is, he’s just a junior.