Lipscomb Academy

BelmontRebel

17 minutes ago, Smokey2Go said:

You're missing the point - Just because the TSSAA is a volunteer organization doesn't mean Lipscomb (or any school) leaves their Constitutional rights at the door.  TSSAA is a "government actor" and as such CANNOT violate any of Constitutional rights of it's members.  PERIOD.

You're incorrectly referencing the 1st Ammendment ruling - a voluntary agency can make their own rules on recruitment.  Do your homework and read the decision(s).

I think this is partially correct and agree that TSSAA being a voluntary organization does not mean it can create any rules it wants. But, the TSSAA can certainly create some rules that restrict member school's "First Amendment Rights."

I am not Constitutional Law scholar--but I think the two BA v TSSAA cases say this:

531 U.S. 288 (2001) - The US SC held that the TSSAA was a state actor in certain respects despite being a private organization--so the TSSAA has certain responsibilities as a "state actor". 

551 U.S. 291 (2007) - The US SC held that TSSAA's enforcement of anti-recruiting rule, which prohibited high schools from using undue influence to recruit middle school students for athletic programs, did not violate First Amendment rights of BA when BA's  coach sent letter inviting some middle school students to attend spring practice sessions.  

15 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Then why is BA still a member school in the T$$AA. They are back in the organization that violated their constitutional rights. They should have just stayed with a regional/national schedule and said we will continue doing what we want. In the long run T$$AA won.

I cannot answer your question however my guess would be the expense of maintaining a regional/national schedule.  BA, in the past, threatened to drop to DII-2A because they had difficulties in finding local, out of region games to fill out a 10-11 game schedule. 

3 hours ago, JRB said:

I cannot answer your question however my guess would be the expense of maintaining a regional/national schedule.  BA, in the past, threatened to drop to DII-2A because they had difficulties in finding local, out of region games to fill out a 10-11 game schedule. 

Brentwood academy shouldn’t have any problem scheduling anymore. Antioch, Fayetteville, Gordonsville and maybe MJCA for homecoming. That right there is 2 Ws. No way a 5 star Qb is 1-9 about to be 1-10. Qb family brought in 4-5 athletes and forgot to bring in a OC, DC, head coach and lineman. It’s like UT under Pruitt, giving out bags of money and not winning. 

Maybe LA should give back those past two championships. Did Trent leave them at the school? CPA doesn’t cheat, give it to them. Drop back to AA and start rebuilding. Maybe even hire BAs coach when he gets fired. Maybe mawae to BA. 

ba did finish above la but didn’t get the W. Maybe they should just play again in the 5 star NIL bowl sponsered by the church of c

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChatterBox99 said:

Brentwood academy shouldn’t have any problem scheduling anymore. Antioch, Fayetteville, Gordonsville and maybe MJCA for homecoming. That right there is 2 Ws. No way a 5 star Qb is 1-9 about to be 1-10. Qb family brought in 4-5 athletes and forgot to bring in a OC, DC, head coach and lineman. It’s like UT under Pruitt, giving out bags of money and not winning. 

Maybe LA should give back those past two championships. Did Trent leave them at the school? CPA doesn’t cheat, give it to them. Drop back to AA and start rebuilding. Maybe even hire BAs coach when he gets fired. Maybe mawae to BA. 

ba did finish above la but didn’t get the W. Maybe they should just play again in the 5 star NIL bowl sponsered by the church of c

LA  could maybe get Boyd Buch to play them here.  We could call it Lookout Mtn coc bowl

21 minutes ago, Hadmatter said:

How Alcoa & Maryville go unpunished each year baffles me 

They have open zoning there.  Several counties over here do not sure about Middle Tn. I think the decision has to be made by your freshman year.  I suppose obvious answer is to not get careless and sloppy with text. Don’t make the wrong people mad.  Make sure you cover all tracks.  If you get caught then do the time for the crime and don’t whine if you are guilty.  

25 minutes ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

They have open zoning there.  Several counties over here do not sure about Middle Tn. I think the decision has to be made by your freshman year.  I suppose obvious answer is to not get careless and sloppy with text. Don’t make the wrong people mad.  Make sure you cover all tracks.  If you get caught then do the time for the crime and don’t whine if you are guilty.  

All of Davidson County is open zone.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hadmatter said:

How Alcoa & Maryville go unpunished each year baffles me 

Maryville and Alcoa's main benefit is from the other schools around there are a dumpster fire. Do you want your kid to go to a school who have never won more than they have lost for over 15 years and the other 25 years. Do you want your kid to play for a team that's facilities look like ole Jim Clayton's double wide s***box that was dropped off beside the ticket stand or would you want to go to a place most small colleges would be jealous of.

14 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Maryville and Alcoa's main benefit is from the other schools around there are a dumpster fire. Do you want your kid to go to a school who have never won more than they have lost for over 15 years and the other 25 years. Do you want your kid to play for a team that's facilities look like ole Jim Clayton's double wide s***box that was dropped off beside the ticket stand or would you want to go to a place most small colleges would be jealous of.

I have a friend in Clarksville who says that is the same situation 

On 10/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

I’m curious, who has the responsibility at a school to verify if a player that moved to your town is living with their “family unit?”  If you are a coach or administrator of a school, meet the parents at an orientation and complete paperwork for where they are living - are you suppose to verify one random night that all parents and siblings are at the dinner table?  We might need some clarity on that.

I'me aware this has been done by quite a few programs when they were concerned about the possibility of being in violation, so yes...

On 10/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, FBfan26 said:

I’m feeling like this will be a catch 22. If the Tssaa don’t add Lipscomb back I think that will end up starting the push for privates to leave. Also the rules are the rules but if you go the kids route “Them saying the had nothing to do with it” what do you do? Fine the school again and suspend the coaches? Take away money?  You know how many schools would be cool suspending the coaching to get a 5star QB lol

haha  y'all gonna take your ball and go home?   good.  But it will only be y'all.  The rest of the privates that have been following the rules will be glad to stay and have a better chance of winning.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:28 PM, DocHoliday1963 said:

How can the TSSAA allow any D1 school apply demands or penalties to any D2 school? D1 kicked D2 schools out from playing together. They should not have rights and privileges to pass judgement on any private school. 

the entitlement here is a unique, special thing of beauty.