D2-A 2nd Round

CougarDadx2

On 11/4/2023 at 8:40 AM, CougarDadx2 said:

Here we go! Round #2, some great games this week!

JC at CA: Even with loss of their leading scorer, JC will come to play, but the CA ground pounding may be too much. I'll take CA in this one

FACS at MTCS: FACS is pretty balanced with a stable of running backs behind the senior, and almost 1,000 in the air. The MTCS D line will be the difference maker here, and Wilson is healthy at RB. Oh, and I am a homer, so yea, MTCS wins.

NC at Trinity: This one is going to be a great game. Like last week it depends on which NC team shows up (the real one showed up in the Boro). Trinity is a disciplined, balanced, machine. This is my upset pick - NC. (sorry Reitz, something here makes me nervous for you guys)

DCA at FC: Same results as earlier in the season. If DCA can hold Wolcott to < 150 yds. they might have a chance. But naw, that aint happening. I got FC in this one.

Watched a lot of NFHS this week and there’s just some interesting points for these games. 

JC vs CA - JC can throw the ball around and CA has trouble defending the pass. Also, JC is pretty good at defending the run so who knows what happens? If CA doesn’t defend the pass better than they have against passing teams JC can win this game. 

FACS vs MTCS - the hidden ball offense of MTCS is almost impossible to defend. FACS can throw it around a bit. MTCS should win this one if they play well. 

NC vs Trinity - Watched the broadcast that Reitz did. Seemed like Trinity got very little pressure on the JC QB and had some busts in coverage. NC QB Curtis will extend almost every play with his legs and you have to stay in coverage the entire play because of his arm talent and desire to throw the deep ball. If NC is finally healthy they will be a very tough out but Trinity has that ball control offense that will keep Curtis on the sideline. Super interested in this game. 

DCA at FCS - My sons game so I won’t pick it.  These teams met at the same time last year with DCA losing the early season matchup just the same way. Last years playoff game saw DCA miss a game winning FG, turn it over on the 20 yard line, and have a PAT blocked. To beat the defending champs will take DCAs best game but they have a QB with 2,000 yards and 34 TDs, a 1,000 yard RB, and 3 WRs with 600+ yards each then you throw in Sneed who is just a freak athlete (3/4 of their 4 x 100 region relay team). If you turn on the film and watch him run your have no clue he’s a legit 6’6” 235 lb man child. It FCS can pressure the DCA QB it’s going to be very difficult for DCA to be competitive. FCS dominated the first matchup at the line of scrimmage until Sneed slid down to the line. DCA is 100% healthy for the first time all season and the young DL/OL have grown up this season. 

Best of luck to all the teams and safe travels. 

3 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Watched a lot of NFHS this week and there’s just some interesting points for these games. 

JC vs CA - JC can throw the ball around and CA has trouble defending the pass. Also, JC is pretty good at defending the run so who knows what happens? If CA doesn’t defend the pass better than they have against passing teams JC can win this game. 

FACS vs MTCS - the hidden ball offense of MTCS is almost impossible to defend. FACS can throw it around a bit. MTCS should win this one if they play well. 

NC vs Trinity - Watched the broadcast that Reitz did. Seemed like Trinity got very little pressure on the JC QB and had some busts in coverage. NC QB Curtis will extend almost every play with his legs and you have to stay in coverage the entire play because of his arm talent and desire to throw the deep ball. If NC is finally healthy they will be a very tough out but Trinity has that ball control offense that will keep Curtis on the sideline. Super interested in this game. 

DCA at FCS - My sons game so I won’t pick it.  These teams met at the same time last year with DCA losing the early season matchup just the same way. Last years playoff game saw DCA miss a game winning FG, turn it over on the 20 yard line, and have a PAT blocked. To beat the defending champs will take DCAs best game but they have a QB with 2,000 yards and 34 TDs, a 1,000 yard RB, and 3 WRs with 600+ yards each then you throw in Sneed who is just a freak athlete (3/4 of their 4 x 100 region relay team). If you turn on the film and watch him run your have no clue he’s a legit 6’6” 235 lb man child. It FCS can pressure the DCA QB it’s going to be very difficult for DCA to be competitive. FCS dominated the first matchup at the line of scrimmage until Sneed slid down to the line. DCA is 100% healthy for the first time all season and the young DL/OL have grown up this season. 

Best of luck to all the teams and safe travels. 

In regards to your observations about TCA pass defense, our DL got very good pressure on the JCS qb, especially in the second half. Technically two blown coverages for scores by JCS. One the first JCS score our db tripped while chasing #23. Could he have caught him? We will never know. The second td reception was a definate bust. Outside of the 2  TD catches by JCS, the TCA pass rush and coverage limited Jackson Christian  to a grand total of 12 yards on 4 receptions according to JCS statistics. I'd say that was pretty fair coverage. Hope your kid plays well and has an injury free game.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, WestTNBuc said:

I will be interested in seeing the running game CA has against the defense of JC. They have been a tough group all year holding most of their opponents to lower yards and scoring than what they regularly produce. They are quick to the ball and have some kids that really get after it.

The TCA score, giving up 24 in the second half, was a bi-product of losing Mosley and losing 2 fumbles on back to back series, giving TCA the ball on their side of the field and an accidental onside kick that TCA recovered. TCA's RB is a load though and had around 170 yards on 52 carries. I don't think he had a run over 7-8 yards with an average of a little over 3 yards per carry. Maybe CA replicates that scheme, maybe they can't. My guess is that with a few weeks of prep and a game under their belt without Mosely, the offense will be better prepared. 

What's CA defense like? Do they have anyone on the outside that can make the passing game a threat? Any size up front?

CA's defense is very solid. They have held their opponents to less than 20 points multiple times. CA O-line is very big too and is probably one of the biggest lines in DII-A. Offensively, watch out for #3, #1, and #2. Defensively, watch out for #7, #11, #3, and #2. CA defense puts their faster guys on the line and likes to pressure the QB

On 11/9/2023 at 3:54 AM, ReitzFan said:

Just to make sure everyone knows,  but the Nashville Christian School at Trinity Christian Academy game on Friday will have a FREE live videostream available. No ridiculous  NFHS charges! The broadcast will begin with the pregame show at 6:30pm central time. The broadcast link is  https://www.facebook.com/TrinityChristianLions. Hope you enjoy the broadcast. 

A friendly bump

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Our teams have gone separate ways since the old 15A "usually meet twice a season" days Reitz, but I'm still a distant fan...best of luck to you and your Lions!

Trader, I still follow Scotts Hill and  cheer them on as well!  Hope they have a great year in all sports!  Wonderful people over there.  

Edited by Intense