Round 2: Oneida @ York

Spike016

5 minutes ago, pujo said:

Time to go watch my 1st grand child play his 1st basketball game, should be a hoot.Ugly stuff but they have to start somewhere.

Me to. Not my first but my second. Regardless tipoff is at noon lol. My first plays at 2:00. Enjoy!

Edited by crow

1 hour ago, crow said:

It was a school decision not to play up. There were some that wanted it but ultimately the decision makers decided not to. 

They wouldn’t make the playoffs in 3A either. Moving up would have been somewhat comical. They struggled in 1A to compete once they got out of the local area. In 2A they won’t be able to compete in their region, but somehow moving to 3A would have been a good move? Even thinking about it is pretty idiotic. 

Just now, TSSAAfootball said:

They wouldn’t make the playoffs in 3A either. Moving up would have been somewhat comical. They struggled in 1A to compete once they got out of the local area. In 2A they won’t be able to compete in their region, but somehow moving to 3A would have been a good move? Even thinking about it is pretty idiotic. 

Look at the two regions. They would match better in 3A. 

Just now, crow said:

Look at the two regions. They would match better in 3A. 

Yes cause that’s the worst region in 3A basketball but they still wouldn’t make the playoffs. You don’t go from playing Wartburg and Oliver Springs to playing Gibbs and Clinton. And then imagine who they would play first round of playoffs if everyone on AC, Gibbs , and Clinton suddenly quit. That’s even assuming they beat Scott. You don’t move up 2 divisions in one year when you aren’t exactly an elite team in the single A division. Yes they beat Oz, Wartburg, etc but they would get destroyed in 3A. They would win 5 or 6 games a year. 

1 minute ago, TSSAAfootball said:

Yes cause that’s the worst region in 3A basketball but they still wouldn’t make the playoffs. You don’t go from playing Wartburg and Oliver Springs to playing Gibbs and Clinton. And then imagine who they would play first round of playoffs if everyone on AC, Gibbs , and Clinton suddenly quit. That’s even assuming they beat Scott. You don’t move up 2 divisions in one year when you aren’t exactly an elite team in the single A division. Yes they beat Oz, Wartburg, etc but they would get destroyed in 3A. They would win 5 or 6 games a year. 

How many do you think they’ll win in their new district? I didn’t say they were hosting sectionals or going to state in either. I think they would’ve likely done as good in 3A as in 2A. I don’t particularly think they’ll excel in either and I feel they would’ve more competitive in 3A than 2A in their district depending which district they landed in. You don’t agree? OK, that’s fine. You’re free to have an opinion just like everyone else. I can assure you those that hold the same opinion as me know far more basketball than either of us ever will though. I’m not a big basketball fan, but I do have close friends and contacts that are absolutely basketball minds. They told me their thoughts on both scenarios, I’m just listening to those that know more than either of us. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, crow said:

How many do you think they’ll win in their new district? I didn’t say they were hosting sectionals or going to state in either. I think they would’ve likely done as good in 3A as in 2A. I don’t particularly think they’ll excel in either and I feel they would’ve more competitive in 3A than 2A in their district depending which district they landed in. You don’t agree? OK, that’s fine. You’re free to have an opinion just like everyone else. I can assure you those that hold the same opinion as me know far more basketball than either of us ever will though. I’m not a big basketball fan, but I do have close friends and contacts that are absolutely basketball minds. They told me their thoughts on both scenarios, I’m just listening to those that know more than either of us. 

Well if they were thinking of seriously moving up 2 divisions in one year then they are idiots. They would have been laughed out of every gym in TN. 

24 minutes ago, TSSAAfootball said:

Well if they were thinking of seriously moving up 2 divisions in one year then they are idiots. They would have been laughed out of every gym in TN. 

Well everyone can’t be an expert at everything like you. Maybe you need a whistle :lol:

14 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

I don't think that is the rule in NFHS. I believe their rule is both feet have to be before the "neutral zone". 

I was there watching it live and Oneida's entire crowd was right down the line from that play and nobody from Oneida objected to the call. It was pretty obvious. He definitely threw it over the line of scrimmage. Ball was spotted right before the 34 and he definitely threw it past the 34 closer to the 35 for sure.

But it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. That game was over before the end of the 1st quarter.

Last post on this one for me but I did want to clarify something. I posted that the refs made an incorrect call on the pass play. I said that based on my incorrect understanding of the rule. I thought the rule was the same as college where any part of the body could be in or behind the neutral zone. The Oneida QB did have a foot in or behind the neutral zone but one was clearly beyond. After checking NFHS rules the short version is both feet must be in or behind the neutral zone so absolutely the correct call was made. I’m only posting to share what I found about the rule for those that may not have known the rule. Here’s a quote of the entire rule:

ART. 1 . . . It is a legal forward pass, if during a scrimmage down and before team possession has changed, a player of A throws the ball with both feet of the passer in or behind the neutral zone when the ball is released. Only one forward pass may be thrown during the down.

Link to the 2021 rule book I found online. I did not find a more recent version so keep that in mind. 

https://dt5602vnjxv0c.cloudfront.net/portals/50139/docs/2021 nfhs football rules book.pdf

I called the stripes out so I’ll admit I was wrong and give them credit where it’s due. Absolutely a good call. 

Edited by crow
  • Like 1