Bearden Bulldogs 2024

JournalEntry

27 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I was going to say this just to offer some hope to the Cat fans, but yeah, father time is undefeated. 

Well more like everything runs in cycles and there are no guarantees. Riverdale dominated for the better part of 15 years in the 90s and 00s and hasn't been back to the title game since. 

20 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Well more like everything runs in cycles and there are no guarantees. Riverdale dominated for the better part of 15 years in the 90s and 00s and hasn't been back to the title game since. 

Riverdale seemed to pick up some steam last year. But sorry Dawgs fans, yall can get back to Bearden talk. Apologies for intruding.

13 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Riverdale seemed to pick up some steam last year. But sorry Dawgs fans, yall can get back to Bearden talk. Apologies for intruding.

Riverdale and OR had some classic battles.  Some real heartbreakers along the way for OR.  Probably cost us a couple gold balls.  Locke, Dukes, Griffin, Peebles, man they had some dudes.  

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Riverdale and OR had some classic battles.  Some real heartbreakers along the way for OR.  Probably cost us a couple gold balls.  Locke, Dukes, Griffin, Peebles, man they had some dudes.  

No doubt. Loaded would be an understatement. Fernando Bryant was another. That game in ‘95 (my JR year) was a real heartbreaker - 10-7. I remember Gipson got loose on a QB rollout and I thought he was gone, and I look up and here comes this white streak, and none other than Gerald Griffin. I thought Mike G was for sure gone. Man, GG could fly.

Edited by SweetScience

17 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Last year was probably the first season I would def agree with that. All the growth in Middle and East TN is starting to show when it comes to parity. 6A has never been stronger

Oakland is blessed with a great coaching staff but is also blessed with a great feeder system. MS, Fresh and JV have lost very few games the last 5 years

Nothing lasts forever. 6A is more balanced than ever and while Oakland may continue to win alot of games, it's my belief we are near the end of the Creasy era.

88 and 89 were the first meetings bewteen the 2 and there have only been 6 meetings total. If it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale, Gaddis might have a few more titles to his name.

I'd much rather have a home and home with a program steeped in tradition like OR than travel out of state

Yea I was wrong on the 70s. Oakland for sure has a great program. I would think it is hard for you all to find someone willing to schedule a home and home due to your success. That is why you have to go out of state for games.

13 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Yea I was wrong on the 70s. Oakland for sure has a great program. I would think it is hard for you all to find someone willing to schedule a home and home due to your success. That is why you have to go out of state for games.

Sheriff, I believe we played Murfreesboro Central in those days. Oakland & Riverdale didn’t become schools till later on.

30 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

No doubt. Loaded would be an understatement. Fernando Bryant was another. That game in ‘95 (my JR year) was a real heartbreaker - 10-7. I remember Gipson got loose on a QB rollout and I thought he was gone, and I look up and here comes this white streak, and none other than Gerald Griffin. I thought Mike G was for sure gone. Man, GG could fly.

That was a heartbreaker.  We played DB in hoops that day in a Christmas Tournament in the old gym.  We had 1st and goal at the end, had a guy wide open on a rollout.  I think it was AP tossed it and it was tipped by a lb and a dl caught it laying on the ground on his back, game over.