Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

It is sad to see what DeeBee has become. They are a shell of what they used to be. JoJo is struggling and to be 1-5 against Scienceless Hill GrassHoppers should be absolutely unacceptable for the Pal's Boys faithful.

Looking at their results from 2023, boy that is brutal. Lost to one of the worst Fairygut teams ever. They ran scared from Greeneville at the first option to call the game. They lost to Besty at home too. 5-5 for Pal's gang should be unacceptable, but it is funny how their success has stalled since they now have to play competition before the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs now. 

For years they played all the direction schools they could find, as well as the lower level upper East TN teams, and when it came time to for the playoffs they had not really been tested, so they would get thumped when they came down off the mountain in Kingsport. The telling fact in all of this is that they have never won a state championship.

9 hours ago, FootballFan888 said:

It is sad to see what DeeBee has become. They are a shell of what they used to be. JoJo is struggling and to be 1-5 against Scienceless Hill GrassHoppers should be absolutely unacceptable for the Pal's Boys faithful.

Looking at their results from 2023, boy that is brutal. Lost to one of the worst Fairygut teams ever. They ran scared from Greeneville at the first option to call the game. They lost to Besty at home too. 5-5 for Pal's gang should be unacceptable, but it is funny how their success has stalled since they now have to play competition before the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs now. 

For years they played all the direction schools they could find, as well as the lower level upper East TN teams, and when it came time to for the playoffs they had not really been tested, so they would get thumped when they came down off the mountain in Kingsport. The telling fact in all of this is that they have never won a state championship.

I would agree with those first two paragraphs. You lost me on paragraph three. You can trace DB's downfall to the loss of Darrell Watson as Defensive Coordinator. You can almost trace it to the day. Watson was almost always able to hold the other team at bay until Clark could call enough plays to win the game. I can't remember the exact years of the Big East Conference, somewhere between 2000-2010 maybe. If you remember it was made up of Knoxville area schools along with DB and Science Hill. I can remember when that conference was started people saying DB's days of winning were over. DB won that conference every year except one. They also made it to the semi-finals twice during those years. So DB hasn't been a team that always loaded up on cupcakes. 

It's really simple to fix the problem. Replace "most" of the coaching staff with qualified coaches that know how to build a winning program. Build a little league program that develops players when they are young. Get rid of all those little league coaches that are fantasizing they're in the NFL. There is talent in Kingsport. It's not being developed. 

20 hours ago, FootballFan888 said:

With regards to Greeneville & Betsy, those 2 are going to stomp all NET teams 90-something % of the time, so you can't single out DB only.              But your overall point is well taken.              I still maintain that NET 5A & 6A will never in the foreseeable future get past the Knox County line in the post season.          Over the last 10 years here are Elizabethton & Greeneville's losses to local teams (excluding each other):

Elizabethton
2022 lost to Science Hill
2017 lost to Boone
2017 lost to Science Hill
2016 lost to Science Hill
2015 lost to Science Hill
2014 lost to Science Hill

Greeneville 
2020 lost to Boone
2020 lost to Science Hill

58 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

With regards to Greeneville & Betsy, those 2 are going to stomp all NET teams 90-something % of the time, so you can't single out DB only.              But your overall point is well taken.              I still maintain that NET 5A & 6A will never in the foreseeable future get past the Knox County line in the post season.          Over the last 10 years here are Elizabethton & Greeneville's losses to local teams (excluding each other):

Elizabethton
2022 lost to Science Hill
2017 lost to Boone
2017 lost to Science Hill
2016 lost to Science Hill
2015 lost to Science Hill
2014 lost to Science Hill

Greeneville 
2020 lost to Boone
2020 lost to Science Hill

I'll tell you what's scary.  Somewhere there was the TA Dugger 8th grade team posted from winning, well everything.  Holy crap Elizabethton has a ridiculously big looking crew coming in.  Give them a couple of years and yeah.... 2026-2028 you could be looking at an unreal Betsy crew.  

14 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I'll tell you what's scary.  Somewhere there was the TA Dugger 8th grade team posted from winning, well everything.  Holy crap Elizabethton has a ridiculously big looking crew coming in.  Give them a couple of years and yeah.... 2026-2028 you could be looking at an unreal Betsy crew.  

They're building them over in Elizabethton. Same thing in Greeneville. Boone, DB and Science Hill sits there and waits for a good group to come along. So every 5 or 6 years they have a bunch of good athletes that are half coached. 

39 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

They're building them over in Elizabethton. Same thing in Greeneville. Boone, DB and Science Hill sits there and waits for a good group to come along. So every 5 or 6 years they have a bunch of good athletes that are half coached. 

It wouldn't answer everything but how many of those DB SH DB-2 kids are going to different schools?  Also, when you have the Carter County and Greene County All-Stars it makes a difference.  Hard to say what a difference it would make, but I thought a few years ago if those SH kids had transferred to Crockett you'd have had a group that could have possibly made it to State after a year where they went 12-1.  6A is just the worst for going far, kind of like 3A up here.  

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

Definitely a big and good looking crew along with the middle schoolers coming up to GHS.  Greeneville middle won the championship against TA Dugger 22-16 in a battle to finish 8-0.

13 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Definitely a big and good looking crew along with the middle schoolers coming up to GHS.  Greeneville middle won the championship against TA Dugger 22-16 in a battle to finish 8-0.

We need you all to share the meal plans we got going on out there.  I just remember looking at TA Dugger and they looked like 10th graders, those will be some great games in years to come.

We need you all to share the meal plans we got going on out there.  I just remember looking at TA Dugger and they looked like 10th graders, those will be some great games in years to come.

Should definitely be some good battles over the next 4 years!  I believe both high schools coaching staffs do a lot from the pee-wee up and talk to the parents about meal planning, hydration, etc.  These young kids grow up wanting to be like the Greene Devils or Cyclones before them (most are wearing their pee-wee jersey's at game and some middle schoolers are ball boys for GHS).  The high school kids also giver back to those future devils with hosting camps, going to their games on a Saturday even though they could be doing a lot of other things, taking pictures with them after a Friday night game, etc.  It just breeds a winning culture.  I believe it can be done at the bigger schools in NE Tennessee but it has to be started from the ground up when they are 6 years old so those kids dream of playing for those schools and not wanting to go somewhere else or play another sport. 

Edited by Swipes

It wouldn't answer everything but how many of those DB SH DB-2 kids are going to different schools?  Also, when you have the Carter County and Greene County All-Stars it makes a difference.  Hard to say what a difference it would make, but I thought a few years ago if those SH kids had transferred to Crockett you'd have had a group that could have possibly made it to State after a year where they went 12-1.  6A is just the worst for going far, kind of like 3A up here.  

Those were a couple of really good Crockett teams, then the talent level dropped off a cliff and they went back to the same ole mediocrity