Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

2 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

Then you don’t understand football recruiting. 80% of playing D1 football is genetics. 2 identical players with same stats, 5’11” the other 6’4” and the kid whose 6’4” is a 3 or 4 star. The 5’11” kid is praying a D3 or D2 school takes a chance on him. 

Telling a former high school coach who had kids go D1 that I don’t understand football recruiting, ok buddy.  You probably think DB is doing things right also:lol:

I guess Baker Mayfield, Doug Flutie, Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, or Bryce Young were too small to play D1 QB (all are 5’11 or smaller and started over taller QB’s in college) and play in the NFL.  Or a Local player like Cade Ballard who started for Army at QB Last year or Cameron Hite who is the starting TE at Wake Forest who I saw bust their tails to get to D1 in their nutrition plan, lifting, and speed training.  Hard work trumps talent when talent doesn’t work hard.  

13 hours ago, Swipes said:

Telling a former high school coach who had kids go D1 that I don’t understand football recruiting, ok buddy.  You probably think DB is doing things right also:lol:

I guess Baker Mayfield, Doug Flutie, Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, or Bryce Young were too small to play D1 QB (all are 5’11 or smaller and started over taller QB’s in college) and play in the NFL.  Or a Local player like Cade Ballard who started for Army at QB Last year or Cameron Hite who is the starting TE at Wake Forest who I saw bust their tails to get to D1 in their nutrition plan, lifting, and speed training.  Hard work trumps talent when talent doesn’t work hard.  

I think we all would agree you mentioned exceptions not the norm. The most recent statistics I can find: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-11-07/how-big-average-college-football-player-breaking-down-size?amp

The purpose of high school sports is not college or professional sports. The vast majority will not be able to participate: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/2/27/football-probability-of-competing-beyond-high-school.aspx

This data is pre- transfer portal, I’m certain that’s reduced the odds. Finally, with TN promise and lottery money basically anyone can go to college without an athletic scholarship. Most kids would be better off financially than playing at a lower level school and taking on debt rather than a local community college. 

Just my thoughts. I respect your opinion. 

11 hours ago, EastTNfootballFan111 said:

I think we all would agree you mentioned exceptions not the norm. The most recent statistics I can find: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-11-07/how-big-average-college-football-player-breaking-down-size?amp

The purpose of high school sports is not college or professional sports. The vast majority will not be able to participate: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/2/27/football-probability-of-competing-beyond-high-school.aspx

This data is pre- transfer portal, I’m certain that’s reduced the odds. Finally, with TN promise and lottery money basically anyone can go to college without an athletic scholarship. Most kids would be better off financially than playing at a lower level school and taking on debt rather than a local community college. 

Just my thoughts. I respect your opinion. 

Not having to be 6'4 and playing QB has shifted over the years with the offenses people run these days. (Even the stats you linked have the average QB at 6'2)  You also don't have to be 6'5 and 340lbs to play offensive line now like you use to be in the Power I era of football.  I agree I named exceptions but to think if you 5'11 you can't go play D1 football is crazy.  I never said genetics didn't play a factor but have seen kids work their tail off to make it D1 and actually start that didn't have superior genetics.  I've also seen 6'6 340lb Oline that have the size for D1 football and be recruited but are soft as Charmin and never sniffed playing time.  The point i've just been trying to make is that hard work and believing in yourself can get you to the D1 level and its not all about being super tall or just a big body person. (Baker Mayfield or Stetson Bennet are great example as a Walk On to lead great teams in their college career)

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.  I was one of those 5'9 205lb MLB that ran a 4.7 and had offers to go play at the Carson Newmans, Tusculum College, Maryville's and other D2 and D3 schools but also was a realist that there were no 5'9 205lb MLB in the NFL and decided to attend UT (Had academic scholarships that eneded up cover everything except 10k over my 4 years.  Won quite a few intramural championships playing with former teammates and with former players that I had played against in High school. ) instead of having to pay back a smaller school probably quadruple that If chose to play at a D2 or D3 school.

32 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Not having to be 6'4 and playing QB has shifted over the years with the offenses people run these days. (Even the stats you linked have the average QB at 6'2)  You also don't have to be 6'5 and 340lbs to play offensive line now like you use to be in the Power I era of football.  I agree I named exceptions but to think if you 5'11 you can't go play D1 football is crazy.  I never said genetics didn't play a factor but have seen kids work their tail off to make it D1 and actually start that didn't have superior genetics.  I've also seen 6'6 340lb Oline that have the size for D1 football and be recruited but are soft as Charmin and never sniffed playing time.  The point i've just been trying to make is that hard work and believing in yourself can get you to the D1 level and its not all about being super tall or just a big body person. (Baker Mayfield or Stetson Bennet are great example as a Walk On to lead great teams in their college career)

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.  I was one of those 5'9 205lb MLB that ran a 4.7 and had offers to go play at the Carson Newmans, Tusculum College, Maryville's and other D2 and D3 schools but also was a realist that there were no 5'9 205lb MLB in the NFL and decided to attend UT (Had academic scholarships that eneded up cover everything except 10k over my 4 years.  Won quite a few intramural championships playing with former teammates and with former players that I had played against in High school. ) instead of having to pay back a smaller school probably quadruple that If chose to play at a D2 or D3 school.

Good thoughts. Do you think the new private school they are building off exit 57 will impact tri-cities football? 

15 minutes ago, EastTNfootballFan111 said:

Good thoughts. Do you think the new private school they are building off exit 57 will impact tri-cities football? 

I definitely  think it could if they hire the right coach and build some nice facilities to attract athletes from all over the Tri-Cities.  I think the bigger impact will be the School Voucher Program Governor Lee is trying to implement statewide that would allow 20,000 students who would get taxpayer money next school year to attend a private or home school.  He has also called for all K-12 students to be eligible for vouchers beginning in 2025. Lee’s Education Freedom Scholarship Act, offering $7,075 annually for each participant.

2 hours ago, EastTNfootballFan111 said:

Depends on what you mean by "impact".      If that means could the new private siphon off some students from the local publics then yes, that could happen.      But if you mean will that impact the Tri-cities teams in the playoffs.... I dunno know, most of the time Tri-cities is one-and-done anyway, not sure how you could really negatively impact that.

7 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Depends on what you mean by "impact".      If that means could the new private siphon off some students from the local publics then yes, that could happen.      But if you mean will that impact the Tri-cities teams in the playoffs.... I dunno know, most of the time Tri-cities is one-and-done anyway, not sure how you could really negatively impact that.

Occasionally there's a Tri-Cities team that puts together a good season and makes a little noise in the playoffs. The two DB'S, David Crockett, not so much Science Hill.  Not including Betsy and Greeneville because they're a threat every year. But it could change the chances of these teams even making the playoffs or having losing records more times than not. The four teams I mentioned rely solely on talent. The top talent from those teams will likely move over to the new private school (if they're smart). In the grand scope of things, it really won't change much. Not much difference in getting beat in the first round or not even making the playoffs. My biggest question is, who will they hire as head coach? Ballard? Quarles? Witten? Spradlen? Witten and Spradlen would be easy pickens' because of the money. I'm not sure if Ballard and Quarles want to coach High school anymore. My money is on Witten. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

On 12/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, Swipes said:

Yes, both play where the TSSAA assigns them like most schools and they are no longer playing up a classification like they use to before the TSSAA went to 6 classifications.  Greeneville has played Alcoa after going to 6 classifications and are 1-1 against them.  Maryville is a different animal with 1,718 students.  My point still stand and when you have a larger school populations (2,503 for DB) then the probability of having more athletes is higher. (Its probability). If Greeneville or Betsy had 2,500 students with their coaching staffs I bet they would be competing for championships in 6a 

I agree 100%

4 hours ago, Lawman1 said:

I agree 100%

It’s actually interesting to see most of the largest 6A schools are  ok at football, not great. I think the types of students and general population of the region matter more than the number. 

Riverdale High School 2011 6A
280 Bearden High School 2017 6A
281 Rossview High School 2033 6A
282 Antioch High School 2058 6A
283 Arlington High School 2065 6A
284 Jefferson Co. High School 2066 6A
285 LaVergne High School 2077 6A
286 Independence High School 2090 6A
287 Farragut High School 2100 6A
288 Hardin Valley Academy 2127 6A
289 Cordova High School 2133 6A
290 Cookeville High School 2192 6A
291 Blackman High School 2199 6A
292 Smyrna High School 2205 6A
293 Rockvale High School 2255 6A
294 Science Hill High School 2380 6A
295 Stewarts Creek High School 2397 6A
296 Dobyns Bennett High School 2503 6A
297 Bartlett High School 2782 6A
298 Collierville High School 2827 6A

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EastTNfootballFan111 said:

It’s actually interesting to see most of the largest 6A schools are  ok at football, not great. I think the types of students and general population of the region matter more than the number. 

Riverdale High School 2011 6A
280 Bearden High School 2017 6A
281 Rossview High School 2033 6A
282 Antioch High School 2058 6A
283 Arlington High School 2065 6A
284 Jefferson Co. High School 2066 6A
285 LaVergne High School 2077 6A
286 Independence High School 2090 6A
287 Farragut High School 2100 6A
288 Hardin Valley Academy 2127 6A
289 Cordova High School 2133 6A
290 Cookeville High School 2192 6A
291 Blackman High School 2199 6A
292 Smyrna High School 2205 6A
293 Rockvale High School 2255 6A
294 Science Hill High School 2380 6A
295 Stewarts Creek High School 2397 6A
296 Dobyns Bennett High School 2503 6A
297 Bartlett High School 2782 6A
298 Collierville High School 2827 6A

You are 100% correct. Example: Alcoa with 680 students would beat any of those teams on your list year in and year out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 11:52 AM, blazer1set said:

I think it depends on where they position themselves.  If the immediately (not happening) had to play with the biggest and best of private schools, it is doomed to fail.  If they position themselves in with the smaller schools at the beginning where the road to a state championship is easier by comparison, then yeah I can see them draining the schools in the area.  Let's take a Unicoi County athlete.  Great athlete, he's a football player, he is going to be really good.  That's great, but if he is ever looking for a state championship that road is done in the 3rd round against Alcoa.  Same thing with those DB kids, West Ridge, Boone, Crockett, etc.  The only two schools in the area who have a fighting chance are Greeneville and Elizabethton in 4A, and heck that comes into question if a certain school decides to move up into 4A next go around.  I really don't know much about the private school divisions, but it feels like you could throw together a Tri-Cities All Star private school and win a state championship.

Look at what Jason Witten did down in Texas.  Took him 3 years and sure, his name didn't hurt anything, but he got the athletes and I think the closest game he had this year was a 30 point win.  I would think you could put together a team from our area that would be unreal.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:41 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

Occasionally there's a Tri-Cities team that puts together a good season and makes a little noise in the playoffs. The two DB'S, David Crockett, not so much Science Hill.  Not including Betsy and Greeneville because they're a threat every year. But it could change the chances of these teams even making the playoffs or having losing records more times than not. The four teams I mentioned rely solely on talent. The top talent from those teams will likely move over to the new private school (if they're smart). In the grand scope of things, it really won't change much. Not much difference in getting beat in the first round or not even making the playoffs. My biggest question is, who will they hire as head coach? Ballard? Quarles? Witten? Spradlen? Witten and Spradlen would be easy pickens' because of the money. I'm not sure if Ballard and Quarles want to coach High school anymore. My money is on Witten. 

Well right now you have Jeremy Bosken as the head football coach there.  Lakeway went through a few head coaches but it looks like they got a fit right now and they had a fairly decent crew to play football.  I always thought that Lakeway was going to have a tougher time because there were so many other private and public schools competing for players in that area.  TriCities Christian Academy, though, seems like it could just suck up kids, especially if they are willing to pay tuition for students who want to attend.  

That location is just a killer.  You can grab students from DB, SH, WR, Boone, Crockett, TN High pretty dang easy.  Come here, win championships, be awesome.  Biggest thing will always be if they are winning championships but also if your child is able to get recruited.  If they can establish that, bye bye best athletes.

Not sure about a coach change, but I see it coming just because of the way Lakeway was with their first few years.  You'd really have to throw money at the coaches to get them there.  I also think you'd have to at least establish a few years of varsity football and people coming in.  I think it would be interesting to see how many students they want in their school.  If we are talking about grabbing 1000 9-12 graders from our area, you have a good chance to see a few teams drop in classification.