Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

31 minutes ago, indians1987 said:

Will the powers that be at D-B contemplate a change in the football program or continue with the same lackluster performance from the coaching staff? Its my opinion that we have enough athletes to compete with the Knoxville schools but not the coaching staff to do it.

DB is a subset of what has been discussed here:    

To your point, I agree that in some years DB has the athletes to take it all the way.    2011 & 2012 comes to mind but those closer to the program could maybe point to other seasons as well.     And here's the unknown factor but I am going to take a stab at it anyway...   If DB ever got serious about championship football you would find there are fantastically genetically gifted athletes roaming the halls who would start to play.      I mean come on, out of 2500 students you can't tell me there aren't some great athletes who never step foot on the field.      The bad news is that it is very unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.   If there is any good news it's that the other five 5A/6A Tri-cities teams are in the same boat, most will be one-and-done when the playoffs start year after year, and if anyone happens to get a win in the 1st round the Knox County line is a barrier that will not be crossed.

It appears most of the last eleven years at DB hasn't gone well as it's past. The last coach had some good teams for most of twenty years but the last five just went to pot. I remember when they were looking for the last coach they said we're going on a national search only to hire somebody in their own backyard. When you do stuff like that then your running a good ole boy's system. What looks worse than the record over the last eleven seasons is that the neighbor from Johnson City has beat you 10 times in 11 games and right now has a 5 game winning streak. Next years seniors would have been in the 6th grade the last time DB won that game. How embarrassing that has to be to the fans at DB. This is what happens when you let the wrong people in charge of your program and I fear the same could happen to ours unless a stand is taken to prevent it.

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It appears most of the last eleven years at DB hasn't gone well as it's past. The last coach had some good teams for most of twenty years but the last five just went to pot. I remember when they were looking for the last coach they said we're going on a national search only to hire somebody in their own backyard. When you do stuff like that then your running a good ole boy's system. What looks worse than the record over the last eleven seasons is that the neighbor from Johnson City has beat you 10 times in 11 games and right now has a 5 game winning streak. Next years seniors would have been in the 6th grade the last time DB won that game. How embarrassing that has to be to the fans at DB. This is what happens when you let the wrong people in charge of your program and I fear the same could happen to ours unless a stand is taken to prevent it.

"The last coach" had success due to a great defensive coordinator named Darrell Watson. Don't believe me, compare his record with Watson and without Watson. Those last five was without Watson. Watson could always keep the other team at bay long enough for Clark to get his act together and call a few plays. The national search was a farce. It was decided who would take over before Clark ever made the announcement. I don't have anything against Christian, but he's obviously not head coach material. He was a good line coach. It only gets worse from here. He'll hang on until he strings about three losing seasons together and runs out of excuses. The Science Hill thing is mostly due to it being Science Hills Super Bowl. The game being at the end of the season, Science Hill looks forward to it and DB just wants to get it over with, go play their one playoff game and hang up the cleats. Before Science Hill went on this ten-year run DB had beat them 18 times in a row. But they also had Darrell Watson for those 18 games. The program is rotten to the core. It will take a lot more than a head coach to fix it. 

This is an opinion piece. 

9 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

"The last coach" had success due to a great defensive coordinator named Darrell Watson. Don't believe me, compare his record with Watson and without Watson. Those last five was without Watson. Watson could always keep the other team at bay long enough for Clark to get his act together and call a few plays. The national search was a farce. It was decided who would take over before Clark ever made the announcement. I don't have anything against Christian, but he's obviously not head coach material. He was a good line coach. It only gets worse from here. He'll hang on until he strings about three losing seasons together and runs out of excuses. The Science Hill thing is mostly due to it being Science Hills Super Bowl. The game being at the end of the season, Science Hill looks forward to it and DB just wants to get it over with, go play their one playoff game and hang up the cleats. Before Science Hill went on this ten-year run DB had beat them 18 times in a row. But they also had Darrell Watson for those 18 games. The program is rotten to the core. It will take a lot more than a head coach to fix it. 

This is an opinion piece. 

It's obvious their not a good football program any longer and haven't been in a while. The records speak for themself but what you have mentioned sure tells anyone exactly why. There are some programs that you can't run the coach off with a blow torch because the headman won't pull the trigger and lets the coach hang around so long he completely destroies the program. The one thing that keeps the hopes up with Maryville is this was a rebuilding year and the coaches did a remarkable job in doing so losing 17 starters from the year before and actually 18 losing LaDue at the start of the 3rd quarter in the first game. The bad side of the coin was that we were in every game we lost during the season, all with in 7 points or less. Had we won those games Maryville would have got the respect they deserved on such a rebuilding job. Most of those loses were to either poor defensive scheme, bad play calls and one game totally mismanaged. It will be a good winter for us to work those bugs out especially being so close in all those season losses.

35 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It's obvious their not a good football program any longer and haven't been in a while. The records speak for themself but what you have mentioned sure tells anyone exactly why. There are some programs that you can't run the coach off with a blow torch because the headman won't pull the trigger and lets the coach hang around so long he completely destroies the program. The one thing that keeps the hopes up with Maryville is this was a rebuilding year and the coaches did a remarkable job in doing so losing 17 starters from the year before and actually 18 losing LaDue at the start of the 3rd quarter in the first game. The bad side of the coin was that we were in every game we lost during the season, all with in 7 points or less. Had we won those games Maryville would have got the respect they deserved on such a rebuilding job. Most of those loses were to either poor defensive scheme, bad play calls and one game totally mismanaged. It will be a good winter for us to work those bugs out especially being so close in all those season losses.

I laugh at those that say Maryville's days of dominating are over. 

39 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I laugh at those that say Maryville's days of dominating are over. 

Biggest thing that has hurt the football is that they allowed the school to get out of hand on enrollment and now they can't accept tuition students. That's our leaders for us. If a family lives in the county and wants to go to Maryville they either move into the city or they can't go there. It will be like that for a few more years until new school is built. Other thing that hurts no one talks about is that the 9th grade goes to a different school half mile away at the junior high. Because of that the 9th grade can't compete in spring practice. We had a bunch of 9th graders come on during the season. Had Derek had those kids to work with in the spring he would have been in a better position at the first of the year.

15 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Biggest thing that has hurt the football is that they allowed the school to get out of hand on enrollment and now they can't accept tuition students. That's our leaders for us. If a family lives in the county and wants to go to Maryville they either move into the city or they can't go there. It will be like that for a few more years until new school is built. Other thing that hurts no one talks about is that the 9th grade goes to a different school half mile away at the junior high. Because of that the 9th grade can't compete in spring practice. We had a bunch of 9th graders come on during the season. Had Derek had those kids to work with in the spring he would have been in a better position at the first of the year.

Not being funny, but I'd love to know how everyone in the area could control enrollment.  Knoxville too.  Everytime I turn around there's a new house built on an empty lot.  Who's responsbile for that in maryville?  The city council?  County commission?  

2 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

Not being funny, but I'd love to know how everyone in the area could control enrollment.  Knoxville too.  Everytime I turn around there's a new house built on an empty lot.  Who's responsbile for that in maryville?  The city council?  County commission?  

This was once on the table back before the down turn in the economy back in 2008. Once things started to get better Maryville put all their eggs in the basket on improving the elementary schools and not as much towards the high school. It's been known for years about the expansion of Denso and Amazon coming to town so why wait til they get here to do something. Yes all towns around have got caught in this mass migration to East Tennessee and we all hate it except the turds that are benefiting from it.

• Upvote 1