Greeneville 2024 will they compete?

greengreen22

I think Greeneville will have the athletes to still make a run but will depend on if we get out coached. 

Greeneville showed that we could throw the Ball against Upperman with over 200 yards passing but it was to little to late with not mixing it up between Quillen running the ball and the passing game (Zayden Anderson's 2 receiving TD's kept us in the game).  I got chastised on here by so called Greeneville fans for saying we needed to be more balanced and spread the ball around and couldn't just rely on the D and Quillen running the ball late in the play-offs (Which sadly I was right).  We also need to make better adjustments as a coaching staff in game.  I don't care how good our D was when we didn't go to a Bear Front when Upperman was running it down our throats (Hard to play 8 on 6 in the box no matter how good your front 6 are).  Lets see if we will finally learn to do that and if not then no we won't compete outside of the first few round of the playoffs

On 12/7/2023 at 8:47 AM, Swipes said:

I think Greeneville will have the athletes to still make a run but will depend on if we get out coached. 

Greeneville showed that we could throw the Ball against Upperman with over 200 yards passing but it was to little to late with not mixing it up between Quillen running the ball and the passing game (Zayden Anderson's 2 receiving TD's kept us in the game).  I got chastised on here by so called Greeneville fans for saying we needed to be more balanced and spread the ball around and couldn't just rely on the D and Quillen running the ball late in the play-offs (Which sadly I was right).  We also need to make better adjustments as a coaching staff in game.  I don't care how good our D was when we didn't go to a Bear Front when Upperman was running it down our throats (Hard to play 8 on 6 in the box no matter how good your front 6 are).  Lets see if we will finally learn to do that and if not then no we won't compete outside of the first few round of the playoffs

well i share your thoughts when you have that many good receiver's and not use them , somethings gotta give .................Ballard would have never let that happen............. 

On 12/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, greengreen22 said:

well i share your thoughts when you have that many good receiver's and not use them , somethings gotta give .................Ballard would have never let that happen............. 

How about getting a new HC. Is that a possibility in the future. Too much talent to consistently lose at home to inferior teams. 

12 hours ago, KEV-O said:

How many do we graduate? Key losses and what do we have coming back? That upperman game so extremely frustrating to watch and I'll leave it at that. 

Starters Greeneville loses are #4,#10, #63,#33,#44,#9,#8,#2,#52,#80.  Key Starters or Contributors we have coming back are #12,#20,#54,#65,#3, #1, #11,#55, #14,#77 (rotated on the D line).  Graduating a great Senior Class that has a lot of starts under their belt especially on D.  Luckily the JV team has been very successful over the past years along with the middle school and will see how that translates to Varsity Ball.  If we can fill in holes on D and on the Oline and give #7 time to get the ball in our speedy Wr hands  we will be alright (We already know what #12 can do with the ball in his hands running or receiving) and as long as we can make in game changes like stated before.

• Thanks 1

The title of this thread "Greeneville 2024 will they compete?" could mean a lot of things, i.e., what defines being able to compete?                 Does that mean winning the state title?              Or getting to the title game?               Or winning x number of playoff games?

The term "compete" probably means different things to each of us.           Here's my thoughts, if by "compete" we mean Greeneville gets to the 3 round then I would say YES, that is highly likely to happen.             Greeneville may have a few coaching internal things going on and the usual high school drama, but for at least the past decade they have laid the foundation as a major player in 4A and I do not see that going away any time soon.  

55 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

The title of this thread "Greeneville 2024 will they compete?" could mean a lot of things, i.e., what defines being able to compete?                 Does that mean winning the state title?              Or getting to the title game?               Or winning x number of playoff games?

The term "compete" probably means different things to each of us.           Here's my thoughts, if by "compete" we mean Greeneville gets to the 3 round then I would say YES, that is highly likely to happen.             Greeneville may have a few coaching internal things going on and the usual high school drama, but for at least the past decade they have laid the foundation as a major player in 4A and I do not see that going away any time soon.  

When we say Compete it means Compete for a State Championship.  Now thats changed over the years because when I played Compete meant competing for a Conference championship in the old IMAC and there were only 5 classifications.  Since that 2007 season (My senior year)  Greeneville has won 15 Conference Championships in 17 years and have made the Quarter finals 14 times and the Semi's 7 in the same time frame.

I feel the same way at this point, at best, even if you think your team can make the state; it's way too early to say that. I will say compete because they have potential. With so many variables, I can see why Swipes says compete. I am also seeing the Mavs competing very well but the have to replace the entire backfield. Pretty confident in staff getting this ready and pretty confident Davey will have a quarterback ready and what I believe is we bring in a dual option QB. Again with that type of QB we will need to have a good backup.