The future continues to look bright for the Mustangs!

stangsby3

1 hour ago, @38320 said:

2024 2A State Champs           That's who Huntingdon is. They were closer this year than some realize. 

I can buy that, but Huntingdon really needs to incorporate something of a passing game. Not counting throwing the ball on third down behind the sticks either...just an occasional first & 10, or better yet 2'nd and 2 or 3. If they can just keep the defense from absolutely playing the run on virtually every down, they'll be even more of a threat to score on any snap on offense.

I doubt that at the point they started passing against Riverside that it would have changed the outcome, but looked like it could have changed the final score if they'd just stuck with it because they moved the ball as well as anyone I saw against Riverside with it. Still haven't got a clue why they went away from it when they did.

15 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I can buy that, but Huntingdon really needs to incorporate something of a passing game. Not counting throwing the ball on third down behind the sticks either...just an occasional first & 10, or better yet 2'nd and 2 or 3. If they can just keep the defense from absolutely playing the run on virtually every down, they'll be even more of a threat to score on any snap on offense.

I doubt that at the point they started passing against Riverside that it would have changed the outcome, but looked like it could have changed the final score if they'd just stuck with it because they moved the ball as well as anyone I saw against Riverside with it. Still haven't got a clue why they went away from it when they did.

See the coaching staff for why we got away from the passing game against Riverside. Happens every year. We continue to produce consistent winning teams year in and year out just to be shafted by the play calling. Looks like we have some speedy studs coming in from the middle school next couple of years. I know the success doesn't always transfer from middle school to high school, but that middle school team looks pretty darn good. Let's just hope for the coaching staff to finally realize what we have and let them throw a little more. But, I ain't going to hold my breath and neither should any other Mustang fan.

2 minutes ago, stangsby3 said:

See the coaching staff for why we got away from the passing game against Riverside. Happens every year. We continue to produce consistent winning teams year in and year out just to be shafted by the play calling. Looks like we have some speedy studs coming in from the middle school next couple of years. I know the success doesn't always transfer from middle school to high school, but that middle school team looks pretty darn good. Let's just hope for the coaching staff to finally realize what we have and let them throw a little more. But, I ain't going to hold my breath and neither should any other Mustang fan.

I get that it would be hard to change what you believe in when you've had as much success with it as Huntingdon has...there are a ton of programs who wish that they could average as many W's over the time that Swenson has been there as they have. The two big questions that I'd have if I were a Mustang fan would be are we satisfied enough with our results to be afraid to change? And do we really think we could get that one or two extra wins if we took more chances? 

I honestly don't know if Riverside or Huntingdon wins that game with the same balance of run/pass between them...Riverside was solid everywhere and would have been tough for anyone to beat. After watching in person, I can't make the argument that Huntingdon loses if they throw the ball on every possession like they did...they didn't march down the field and score, but they moved the chains with it when they had to.

20 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Me either Trader

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I get that it would be hard to change what you believe in when you've had as much success with it as Huntingdon has...there are a ton of programs who wish that they could average as many W's over the time that Swenson has been there as they have. The two big questions that I'd have if I were a Mustang fan would be are we satisfied enough with our results to be afraid to change? And do we really think we could get that one or two extra wins if we took more chances? 

I honestly don't know if Riverside or Huntingdon wins that game with the same balance of run/pass between them...Riverside was solid everywhere and would have been tough for anyone to beat. After watching in person, I can't make the argument that Huntingdon loses if they throw the ball on every possession like they did...they didn't march down the field and score, but they moved the chains with it when they had to.

Riverside would have been still hard to beat either way, but I wouldn't be as salty if we made it close. That's the thing, I would hate to get rid of Swenson with all his success, but there has to be a change somewhere. Now days, it's hard to win these big games with just running the ball, there has to be some kind of passing game to set up the big runs. We have the horses to do both, run and pass, but it just seems like they don't want to take the time to develop players for that kind of game. I'm a nobody, but I need a little more out of the play calling, especially in the games that actually count.

2 hours ago, MustangGuru said:

Eubanks, tearing his meniscus in his Knee had to do alot with the lack of Offensive play scheme as well... not saying it would have been a victory, but Gray was not able to run as effectively due to the injury.  

Prayers for our QB as he will be having reconstructive surgery on the knee tomorrow in Nashville. 

You're right in your statement but throwing the ball to the middle of the field was working. Not criticizing the staff for not going into the game with that offense in place, but when the game situation forced your offense into it, and you moved the ball better that the entire first half, why go back to what had not worked all game? It also stands to reason that if the offense had been more balanced in the regular season, that the team would execute it even better.

I'm not here to argue or criticize, just engaging in a discussion where my viewpoint is meaningless to the Mustang coaches. Sometimes the obvious to one isn't necessarily correct, but it seems obvious to me that your chances of success would be better with more options.

I hope that the young man has a 100% recovery...I've been there (long ago) and it ain't no picnic rehabbing a reconstructed knee. Not minimizing what he'll have to go through, but methods and practices have evolved light years since my 10 weeks in a cast, year long suffrage to build back muscle, years before full range of motion procedure. Had family experience the same not too long ago, and she walked next day with a short period before "fully" back to normal. I will remember him before my head hits the pillow, and I'm sure that he'll be in good hands.

Elite doing the job?

17 hours ago, MustangGuru said:

Eubanks, tearing his meniscus in his Knee had to do alot with the lack of Offensive play scheme as well... not saying it would have been a victory, but Gray was not able to run as effectively due to the injury.  

Prayers for our QB as he will be having reconstructive surgery on the knee tomorrow in Nashville. 

Absolutely hurt us with him being hurt. I hope the surgery is a complete success and I will pray for the doctors, for Gray, and for his family. This rehab will test him mentally and physically, but he is a tough dude and there is no doubt he will be back stronger next year. But this is bigger than just one player. We've had some extremely talented young men come through the last 10-12 years and what to show for it? We have always been a successful team, but is it really a success if we have no hardware to show for it in those years? Croppy likes to argue (no disrespect croppy) that our success is what most teams strive for, and although I agree, it's not enough with the talent we've had. Sure, we won our region with out regular season game plan, but when all the other good teams change to their post-season game plan, we still stick to our regular season game plan and that will not be enough to win you those big games. I highly doubt I could be as successful as Swenson if I was the head coach, but at least I know when it's time to open up the playbook. I'm not necessarily calling for his head, because it could be a complete disaster when the time comes for him to move on, but I will criticize him for his short comings. I love football, this town, and this team! If I had to choose one level of football to watch for the rest of my life between high school, college, or pros, it would be under those Friday night lights every time! GO MUSTANGS!! 

• Upvote 1