The future continues to look bright for the Mustangs!

stangsby3

4 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

Absolutely hurt us with him being hurt. I hope the surgery is a complete success and I will pray for the doctors, for Gray, and for his family. This rehab will test him mentally and physically, but he is a tough dude and there is no doubt he will be back stronger next year. But this is bigger than just one player. We've had some extremely talented young men come through the last 10-12 years and what to show for it? We have always been a successful team, but is it really a success if we have no hardware to show for it in those years? Croppy likes to argue (no disrespect croppy) that our success is what most teams strive for, and although I agree, it's not enough with the talent we've had. Sure, we won our region with out regular season game plan, but when all the other good teams change to their post-season game plan, we still stick to our regular season game plan and that will not be enough to win you those big games. I highly doubt I could be as successful as Swenson if I was the head coach, but at least I know when it's time to open up the playbook. I'm not necessarily calling for his head, because it could be a complete disaster when the time comes for him to move on, but I will criticize him for his short comings. I love football, this town, and this team! If I had to choose one level of football to watch for the rest of my life between high school, college, or pros, it would be under those Friday night lights every time! GO MUSTANGS!! 

How are you so sure the talent at Huntingdon the past 10-12 years could win a state championship? What are the gauges being used to dictate these beliefs? 

49 minutes ago, TheLongestYard said:

How are you so sure the talent at Huntingdon the past 10-12 years could win a state championship? What are the gauges being used to dictate these beliefs? 

Regular season blowout wins over Peabody and Riverside. Teams that were good enough to play for (and win) state championships. Close losses in the playoffs to teams that advanced to the championship game. The team's talent is not debated my many.  

My opinion for what's it worth. Huntingdon will always be a great regular season teams and win a few playoff games but maybe it should be time to rethink your whole offensive scheme. Union City to. Your offense probaly keeps some kids from playing that could help your team. If I was a good athlete at both of these schools why would I want to go out there and have to block 90% of the team. There is no doubt if they went more pro and spread these two schools could produce a state championship team ever couple years. 

7 hours ago, TheLongestYard said:

If you look at the losses over the last 10 or even 15 years the majority of the teams that have defeated Huntingdon have gone on to win or play in the Championship. Some losses were by a TD or less. The only 2 losses Huntingdon had this season, both teams played for the gold.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, TheLongestYard said:

I'm not a Huntingdon fan by any means but they should have 2 additional gold balls imo. 2012 and 2017. I'm sure Gordy, Greenback, and Cornersville fans have a differing opinion but I don't care. The mustangs were the most talented team in the state those years. 

39 minutes ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I'm not a Huntingdon fan by any means but they should have 2 additional gold balls imo. 2012 and 2017. I'm sure Gordy, Greenback, and Cornersville fans have a differing opinion but I don't care. The mustangs were the most talented team in the state those years. 

I wholeheartedly agree...H'town usually gets their wins by simply overwhelming whomever they're playing with raw talent and depth. Even in their losses, you can't really ever say that the other team was more talented. Again, not trying to bash the coaches but running the "best option" 100% of your snaps just takes away half of the opposing coaches headaches when implementing a defensive gameplan.

• 2 weeks later...

Scheme is largely fine , defense and running the ball wins championships. Playcalling and decision making has certainly been an issue . It needs more misdirection .. When we ran the offense , QB was under center and made misdirection a bigger part of the offense  . In shotgun everything is in the open . It’s championship or bust next year for the stangs.. hopefully Eubanks is healthy I see them taking it next year if he is .