Forrest Hires Justin Palmer

RocketHouse

16 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Doubt if you care what I (or any 'Ter's) think, but I like it. If you can't get the big gun, this type of hire is excellent...offensive production at Shelbyville looks like he can score, and he's young enough to connect on that level with kids. I wouldn't hold the mediocre success at Obion against him either, as a 6 win season there is exceptional. Only downside would be keeping him if he's a success...all the factors are there to chase the money.

yes to all this. 

This is a good hire. Not my school but I hate to see him go from NW Tennessee.

I can't speak for his time prior to his Obion Central years. But OCCHS was FAR MORE well known for their band than their football team before he got there. The energy & effort from that team was night & day different the last few years. There was definitely some buy in from the players. Why didn't he win more? He took this team from nothing to respectable. OCCHS is farm boy central. Just big strong country boys that love football but they don't have a long list of elite speedy athletes. We play them every year & they were a good group of kids that played good clean hard nosed ball the right way. Nobody hangs 60+ on Haywood as a fluke. There were glances of bigtime football at OCCHS with Justin Palmer.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpottedGoat said:

This is a good hire. Not my school but I hate to see him go from NW Tennessee.

I can't speak for his time prior to his Obion Central years. But OCCHS was FAR MORE well known for their band than their football team before he got there. The energy & effort from that team was night & day different the last few years. There was definitely some buy in from the players. Why didn't he win more? He took this team from nothing to respectable. OCCHS is farm boy central. Just big strong country boys that love football but they don't have a long list of elite speedy athletes. We play them every year & they were a good group of kids that played good clean hard nosed ball the right way. Nobody hangs 60+ on Haywood as a fluke. There were glances of bigtime football at OCCHS with Justin Palmer.    

Agree...can't always judge by W's. What's available to work with has an enormous amount of impact on the results you produce, and he seems to have gotten absolutely all you could ask for with what he was given.

When hiring a coach, you can get the home run, take a chance on someone, or usually can get that "solid" mediocre guy,...not many are in position to name their coach of choice, and choosing from the latter, I'll take a chance on potential every day of the week. No matter how respected any coach in any sport is, someone took a chance and hired them to their first job. The "mediocre" coach reminds me of a life stance I learned from my grandfather...do as you've always done, you'll get what you've always got". Hire someone because they can get you seven or eight wins, and one or two playoff wins a season...be prepared to do no better than that.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, CaptainLongbeard said:

Don’t run him off like you boys have done to the other coaches. It looks like he is a good coach. Won pretty big in that area in the past. 

There's some squirming going on up in the Fiery Gizzard, and it ain't rainbow trout!

17 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Agree...can't always judge by W's. What's available to work with has an enormous amount of impact on the results you produce, and he seems to have gotten absolutely all you could ask for with what he was given.

When hiring a coach, you can get the home run, take a chance on someone, or usually can get that "solid" mediocre guy,...not many are in position to name their coach of choice, and choosing from the latter, I'll take a chance on potential every day of the week. No matter how respected any coach in any sport is, someone took a chance and hired them to their first job. The "mediocre" coach reminds me of a life stance I learned from my grandfather...do as you've always done, you'll get what you've always got". Hire someone because they can get you seven or eight wins, and one or two playoff wins a season...be prepared to do no better than that.

Great post as usual. Grandpa's saying cuts deep at Forrest. 

On 12/11/2023 at 5:38 PM, Tide21 said:

a coach can only do so much. You have to have the players. If Forrest has the players they will be good. If not they won’t. I am pretty sure they ran a offense similar to Union city while he was there 

We have the players and by all accounts we have a coach now so good should be in the near future.  

On 12/12/2023 at 9:24 AM, CaptainLongbeard said:

Don’t run him off like you boys have done to the other coaches. It looks like he is a good coach. Won pretty big in that area in the past. 

In the last 10 years we have fired one after 6 years of chances and two others have vaulted to 6A jobs.  We should be good next season and very good in 2025-26. How much fun would a South Pitt vs Forrest thread in 2025-26 be? 

On 12/11/2023 at 5:53 PM, TCSports1 said:

Trying to be respectful to our kids but since the cat is out of the bag  https://www.tcsports1.com/news/football-12-11-2023-rockets-launch-new-football-era

Watched your interview last night and was impressed. I was pulling for one of our alumni but after looking into Coach Palmer's record at Shelbyville and Obion and listening to his answers I understand why he was selected and am now on board. Too much talent on hand to give the job to someone trying to run a program for the first time. Last three hires from this county were Stephenson, Waddell, and Cook. All were first time head coaches and only one had a somewhat successful first year and two were disasters in year one.  

On 12/11/2023 at 9:33 PM, tradertwo said:

Doubt if you care what I (or any 'Ter's) think, but I like it.  Only downside would be keeping him if he's a success...all the factors are there to chase the money.

Some opinions on here are worthless. Yours has value. If only downside is success on the football field, sign us up! Let's don't hire a coach because he might win too many games and go to a bigger school said no competent fanbase ever.