Rivalry Thursday 2024 schedule

28 minutes ago, WoodlawnFalcons said:

Does Scott Cummings make the Lenior City game interesting? I don't see the appeal to unaffiliated fans. Id rather see a back to back state champion Knox West team on tv than Loudon vs Lenoir City. 

Yeah no question, I would rather see West, but like I said if you're from round here, Loudon and Lenoir City is a huge game, battle of the Bridge(that separates the two communities).  Second oldest rivalry in the state.  This year will be edition 98.  And yes, Cummings makes it interesting because when he won the state championship at West and left for Cleveland, he was replaced by the Loudon head coach Jeff Harig.  

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

Yeah no question, I would rather see West, but like I said if you're from round here, Loudon and Lenoir City is a huge game, battle of the Bridge(that separates the two communities).  Second oldest rivalry in the state.  This year will be edition 98.  And yes, Cummings makes it interesting because when he won the state championship at West and left for Cleveland, he was replaced by the Loudon head coach Jeff Harig.  

I did not even put the HC story line together good job there ORcat

57 minutes ago, WoodlawnFalcons said:

Very weak Rivalry Thursday schedule. Only 3 interesting games to the unaffiliated fans. 

You gotta think about what other games are available for any particular week. Some weeks will be lots of lopsided affairs and some weeks will have too many games to pick from. What games would you replace some of these with? 

43 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I have always thought the same teams were played on there every single year seems like. Personally, I welcome a few new additions. I get tired of watching the same teams year in year out.

I don't like when OR plays on Thurs. Fri nights are way mo betta.  I know coaches don't like it because they lose a day of prep. AD's are not crazy about it because TV kills the gate.  But I am glad there is a game to watch on TV each week.  So, thanks Packer, I know you read this.  

Edited by oridgecat

32 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I don't like when OR plays on Thurs. Fri nights are way mo betta.  I know coaches don't like it because they lose a day of prep. AD's are not crazy about it because TV kills the gate.  But I am glad there is a game to watch on TV each week.  So, thanks Packer, I know you read this.  

I definitely applaud him for doing it. I really don’t understand the hate a lot of people have for him. I mean, yeah, he’s goofy as all get out, but so am I at times. Some folks really dislike him. Just odd to me.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I definitely applaud him for doing it. I really don’t understand the hate a lot of people have for him. I mean, yeah, he’s goofy as all get out, but so am I at times. Some folks really dislike him. Just odd to me.

I don't think that people really dislike him, yeah he's a little goofy, but he can be quite annoying.  You know he's from Texas.  Only two things come from Texas and I don't see no horns.  I'm kidding, I'm kidding Packer.  Thanks for all you do for hs football in the area.  

5 hours ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Traditionally playoffs start in November so I did not know if 1st round would be on 11/1 or 11/8. I do know that any classification can play on thursday or friday in the regular season so I don't know why you have the days set up like its the bluecross games.

Last year if I remember correctly,  the last week of the regular season 1A / 3A / 5A played Thursday games while 2/4/6A played Friday.  Maybe it helps the brain trust at the TSSAA to split the games so they can get a better handle on who makes the playoffs. 

Is this correct?  

4 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Last year if I remember correctly,  the last week of the regular season 1A / 3A / 5A played Thursday games while 2/4/6A played Friday.  Maybe it helps the brain trust at the TSSAA to split the games so they can get a better handle on who makes the playoffs. 

Is this correct?  

No

23 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Is this correct?  

I believe those Thursday games had more to do with the referee shortage

36 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

No

Ok.  Mostly.

16 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I believe those Thursday games had more to do with the referee shortage

I agree the shortage of referees has led to more Thursday games but the last week of the regular season saw roughly 68 public school games on Thursday.  81 on Friday.

https://tssaasports.com/sports/scoreboard/?sport=football&week=11

Looks like the games played Thursday were heavily 1-3-5A.   Mostly.  But, I didn't go thru with a fine toothed comb.  

Edited by Southtowner
Link