Pemberton Leaves Rhea for Campbell County

Things have been souring at Rhea between Pemberton and the community for a few years now. That I know for a fact. As to why they soured - I only know the rumors and what I hear from parents that still have kids in the program and I wouldn’t want to spread unfounded or biased rumors. Let’s just say that there is a large part of the Rhea fan base  that is very happy he is leaving and that is not the normal reaction when you lose a coach with a win loss record like Pemberton has. 
He probably should have left a few years ago….I will loosely quote Harvey Dent in saying “you either leave a hero or hang around long enough to become the villain” 

The Eagles have been down the last couple of years but these issues go way back farther than that. I will let some of our other folks that are closer to the situation fill in the blanks.

GO EAGLES!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RCfan said:

Things have been souring at Rhea between Pemberton and the community for a few years now. That I know for a fact. As to why they soured - I only know the rumors and what I hear from parents that still have kids in the program and I wouldn’t want to spread unfounded or biased rumors. Let’s just say that there is a large part of the Rhea fan base  that is very happy he is leaving and that is not the normal reaction when you lose a coach with a win loss record like Pemberton has. 
He probably should have left a few years ago….I will loosely quote Harvey Dent in saying “you either leave a hero or hang around long enough to become the villain” 

The Eagles have been down the last couple of years but these issues go way back farther than that. I will let some of our other folks that are closer to the situation fill in the blanks.

GO EAGLES!!!

Yes -very true. I attended every game last year and I have only missed a few games in the last ten years. I try to make every home game, but I just can't always make the long road trip games. Coach Pemberton took over a program that was in shambles before 2013 and built them up pretty quick. He has coached some great players that have played at the small college level. But it is impossible to sustain - unless you are Alcoa.  I will say the home attendance has dwindled, even before Covid. The season ticket holder seats did have a waiting list. Now you can sit wherever you want. The home crowd is not intimidating in that huge stadium. When they introduce the coaches over the P.A. -  it is eerily quiet. I believe the fan base wants to throw the ball 50 times a game and have that quick strike capability. But that's just not Rhea County football. I love Coach Pemberton for what he accomplished at Rhea County. I really do wish him the best. But for some reason it soured in 2017. I will say maybe the most telling oddity is how very few former players attend current games. (That could be a lot of factors inc. work, school, moves,...) But I do hope things get back to the rockin' glory days. It's a great atmosphere with Eagle Stadium beside that mountain. Maybe someday the businesses will close on a Friday night and the community will come out and support the Golden Eagles. 

53 minutes ago, Random1234 said:

Good riddance, the real question is who will be next HC? Anyone from current 

Is Pemberton's OC & DC along with coaching staff gonna follow him to Campbell Co.  Is there anyone on the current staff that will transition to HC at Rhea or are they just wanting to start over???  Whats your thoughts Eagle faithful...

Coach Pemberton has been pretty good where ever he has coached. His Wing T may be a good fit for Campbell County as they usually have good size up front, they just need to add the skill to it. The WIng T gives teams like that a chance to control the ball, shorten the game, and win.  The Price twins had a good run up there and gave them a lot of good wins and certainly did a great job with the facilities and raised the interest in football. I thought last year they were way short in skill position players and it really cost them.  I thought they made a good move toward Grace, they will do well there. 

8 hours ago, Wardawg1969 said:

Jason Fitzgerald most obvious followed by Doug Greene, Tyler Manes, Josh Roberts and Matt Moody.

Doug Greene? You mock us? ......You know Rhea Alumni John Allen is an assistant at Dalton. He's been a head coach for many years. But, just my opinion, that you have a principal from Oak Ridge and I believe it will come through that connection. 

12 hours ago, Random1234 said:

Good riddance, the real question is who will be next HC? Anyone from current staff? 

This seems right.  Man has outperformed all expectations and now the modern social media mindset has kicked in.  If it can happen in Rhea county, no place is immune.

Edited by Rerun92
  • Sad 1

Going to be quite an adjustment for the folks at CC going from Justin Price's offense to the winged t.  

That said, Campbell County has already lost a couple of its better players to AC and word is that several more are leaving.  If the offensive philosophy is going to change, now is the time to do it.  

Pemberton knows the winged t like few others do.  If the kid buy in it might eventually work.  

5 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Coach Pemberton has been pretty good where ever he has coached. His Wing T may be a good fit for Campbell County as they usually have good size up front, they just need to add the skill to it. The WIng T gives teams like that a chance to control the ball, shorten the game, and win.  The Price twins had a good run up there and gave them a lot of good wins and certainly did a great job with the facilities and raised the interest in football. I thought last year they were way short in skill position players and it really cost them.  I thought they made a good move toward Grace, they will do well there. 

Agree on all points. The Price bros could do really well at Grace and Pemberton’s offense could do well at Campbell County…… IF…he can mesh with the locals and they are able to adjust from watching their team throw it all over the field to throwing 3-5 times a game. He will turn all those little speedy receivers they usually have into speedy little wingbacks. He will take the best back or most athletic linebacker and put them at fullback where if he is the right guy he will get the yards. That may sound crazy but if the team buys into the concept, it will work especially in a place like coffee county. Pemberton knows the double wing T as good as anyone in coaching the last 20 years.