DB Basketball.

bdawg122712

8 hours ago, noonesfool said:

As a former Topper, who principalled Coach Poore in Greeneville, I hate to say this. Special things are about to happen to DB basketball for a long time to come. 

That’s if kids don’t transfer out, etc. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but you know how that is in this day and age. Always have to consider that at any program unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

That’s if kids don’t transfer out, etc. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but you know how that is in this day and age. Always have to consider that at any program unfortunately.

So true Science! But kids can transfer in as well. Poore is a task master. Not everyone could play for him. There are a lot of kids that can thrive under his coaching and tutelage. I think the 2 previous seasons are more likely to resemble the future than this year.

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

So true Science! But kids can transfer in as well. Poore is a task master. Not everyone could play for him. There are a lot of kids that can thrive under his coaching and tutelage. I think the 2 previous seasons are more likely to resemble the future than this year.

I hope so. As an OR fan, I always like to see DB do well. When they aren’t playing us, at least.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rebelyell10 said:

I guess ole poore forgot to plan for the manager of gate city to make a three to best db tonight!!   I was there to watch ole poore lose a 4 point lead in 9 seconds

LOL! You're like a scorned lover. You're watching, not playing. A stalker at DB games. Maybe DB should get a restraining order before you do something crazy. 

On 2/7/2024 at 11:18 AM, CoachMo45 said:

I was motivated to write this when I read that John Sevier Middle School has some promising basketball players.

My basketball journey started in the 9th grade when I lived in St. Petersburg FL.  I attended a large high school (5000+ students) and was the first sophomore to start on the varsity.  Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg offered terrific athletic competition as there was an abundance of really good athletes.  I learned early that if you didn't have the talent, fundamentals, conditioning and mental toughness to compete, you would get your rear-end handed to you.  I thrived in that environment. 

I benefitted from great parents, great coaches, and a support network second to none.  There have been very few high school athletes who have enjoyed more opportunities than I was presented with.  Notice that I haven't said I was better than anyone.

In high school I worked extremely hard every day to enhance my skills as a basketball player.  Most days I got up at 5 AM and practiced many hours each day.  It paid off, I was offered over 200 Division One scholarships.  I made 57 straight foul shots in game competition.

In 1963 I was on the Ed Sullivan Show as a first team Parade All American player.  There were five of us, and Lew Alcindor was part of that group as a 15 year old sophomore from Power Memorial High School in New York City.  I decided to attend UNC and became Dean Smith's first high school All American recruit.

In high school the fans gave me a nickname, The Rifleman.  I led the nation in scoring my junior and senior years.  I shot 65% from the floor with everyone trying to stop me.  If I had played with the 3-point shot in effect, I would have averaged over 50 points.  You have to have confidence and believe in yourself if you are to become a really good shooter.  It has to be achieved by hard work and learning how to execute the fundamentals the correct way.

After serving in the military and doing social work with foster kids in New Hampshire, my first teaching/coaching position was at John Sevier Middle School.   I was blessed and honored to have had the opportunity to coach so many high character young men for 15 years.  When I coached at Sevier, my basketball teams won 96% of their games.  We had three undefeated teams.  I don't know of any basketball team in Tennessee that has won 96% of their games for 15 years.  If a team has achieved this, they certainly developed a winning culture.

My teams at Sevier lost to Johnson City only twice in 15 years.  Those were the same players who won state championships under George Pitts.  Who's your Daddy?

I want to give credit to the coaches I learned from.  I played for three Hall of Fame college coaches:  Dean Smith, Larry Brown and Hugh Durham.  Billy Cunningham and Dave Cowens were teammates of mine in college.  I got to compete against Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Jon McGlothlin, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, JoJo White and many other really good players.  I played against Duke five times, and we won each game.  I played against Kentucky once, and we won by 15 points.  My job was to guard Louie Dampier, and he didn't score a point.   I did my job!  

I will close by saying John Sevier Middle School will always have a special place in my heart.  Every player who played for me was a very special person.  Thank you for providing me with so many great memories.  I do hope that I made a difference in your life as a basketball player, and more importantly as a student/athlete and person.

I wish the best for every young man and young lady playing basketball in this area.  As Dave Cowens often said, "Show me what you've got!"

Ian Morrison - Coach Mo

OMG, how many times have you posted this on CoachT?  Why didn't you mention that you had some of the best players to ever come through Volunteer and never accomplished nothing.  You tried to play a slow down controlled game with a roster full of athletes.  Probably the only players in that time period that were better was Science Hill.  I remember you wearing a shirt that had all your accomplishments printed on it. Who does that?  Only you!!!

Wolves 2022,

I did see your critical response to my post.  I have no problems with negative remarks directed my way.  Are you OK?

I don't know who you are, where you went to school, or what kind of an education you received.  Do you have critical thinking skills?  My initial impression is that you should have paid more attention in English class.  You have an opportunity here to tell us about your accomplishments.

I referenced John Sevier Middle School in my post because it was entered on a DB thread.  I do hope that you have the intellectual capacity to understand that. 

Since you requested it, I will refer to my time at Volunteer High School.  When I started coaching basketball at Volunteer, the school had experienced one winning season in 17 years.  There had been no conference championships and no district wins.  Bill Lane wasn't writing about Volunteer as a basketball powerhouse.

I agree with you that I did have some of the best players to ever come through Volunteer.  Those players won several conference and district championships, and we competed in the sub-state twice in my five years at Volunteer.  In my time at Volunteer, each team had a winning season.  Four of the five seasons I was coach, we won over 20 games.  We were 15 and 2 against Central High School, 15 and 1 against Hapy Valley, and had a winning record against Daniel Boone.  We had a victory over Dobyns Bennett which I think was the first in school history.

At least eight of my Volunteer players received scholarships to play college basketball.  You decided to say those players "never accomplished nothing"!  I do think you need to take a remedial course in English.  Are you OK?  Do you really want to tell those players that they "never accomplished nothing"?  In contrast, I think they accomplished a great deal.

If you remember me wearing a shirt that had all my accomplishments on it, it must have been an extra, extra, extra, extra large shirt.  Who does that?  Only me!

When you order your extra, extra, extra small shirt to list your accomplishments, will there be anything on it?  Are you OK?  

Since you seem to think that you can evaluate basketball talent, please let us know your qualifications.

15 hours ago, Rebelyell10 said:

Have to remember to tell your players not to stand behind the backboard when they throw the ball inbounds also hahahaha

why u not saying anything about the game wacky wacky

how many kids go to gate city again??

Gate City usually has one of the better basketball teams in the area. They've only lost 5 games this season with 3 of those loses coming during a Christmas tournament, and 2 of those loses were to privates. Doesn't matter how many students you have in a school, it's how many athletes you have. (see Alcoa). There has always been athletes at Gate City. They've turned out many Div. 1 athletes at that school. And they've had many state championships over there. There is no embarrassment losing by one point to them. Like I keep telling you. Go ahead and have your fun this year because we won't be hearing from you for the next 5 years at least. 

1 hour ago, Rebelyell10 said:

Why are you on this post bragging on your self when this is  about db basketball???   Start your own post about volunteer (lol)….no one cares to hear about your past glory days!

Actually, I mentioned Sevier and he came on to talk about his time there. I went back and read his post again to see if I missed something that brought on this backlash from two obvious losers. Nope, I read it right the first time. He was simply saying you can accomplish a lot if you are committed and work hard. He told the story from first-hand experience. Also, what is bragging? Is it bragging if it's all true? Or do you call it bragging when you know you could never come close to even a fraction of those accomplishments. Quitters and losers are always offended by someone they see as a bragger. Funny how that is. 

• Like 1