THE EBE…

littlejohnny

1 hour ago, Whoweft said:

I mean, I am sure McCallie would prefer to win every weight class if it could.   There is something to be said about a program's progress and direction.  Given where McCallie was last year--and the number of those guys you call "average" that are 8th and 9th graders that finished on the podium this year-- McCallie is headed in the right direction. 

Even in this event--McCallie seemed to be taking some steps.  I have not looked at this stat before --but Seed to Place Differential (how the team performed relative to expected performance): 

McCallie +25 (the highest)

Baylor  +7 (#5 of 26)

Father Ryan -14 (last - #26 out of 26)

No seeding takes place in the TSSAA State Wrestling Championships.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, cbg said:

No seeding takes place in the TSSAA State Wrestling Championships.  

I dont think D2 does but D1 A and AA do seed based on must be sectional champ AND prior state placement during wrestlers career. After that it is blind draw and if someone from a sectional is seeded the 4th place from that same sectional will be on same side of bracket as the seeded wrestler with 2 and 3 from sectional blind drawed on the other part of the bracket. 

On 2/17/2024 at 10:52 PM, Volgrappledad said:

Speaking of Ryan not recruiting.....just curios how many times Tran, Roark and Calvin prayed in their Rosary beeds before going to FRHS among others..

This is hilarious. Let’s quit hiding behind fake names and put real names out there and see just how brave everyone is too talk #### about kids then. I’d say it will be very few if any. To be honest if I knew who your son was and if he was any good at wrestling I just might have took him out of town to a tournament with Nashville Catholic when they were all young. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Whoweft said:

I mean, I am sure McCallie would prefer to win every weight class if it could.   There is something to be said about a program's progress and direction.  Given where McCallie was last year--and the number of those guys you call "average" that are 8th and 9th graders that finished on the podium this year-- McCallie is headed in the right direction. 

Even in this event--McCallie seemed to be taking some steps.  I have not looked at this stat before --but Seed to Place Differential (how the team performed relative to expected performance): 

McCallie +25 (the highest)

Baylor  +7 (#5 of 26)

Father Ryan -14 (last - #26 out of 26)

McCallie did a great job of wrestling to their seed or above it BUT those stats are extremely misleading imo and especially unfair to Father Ryan. As previously stated by @FargoStrut, Aiden Hare was seeded #1 at 113 for winning the west regional, but if it were truly seeded, he would have been the #5 probably and ended up taking 4th with a monster win over Kibelbeck in the quarters. He had a great tournament and based on that stat it looks like he fumbled. Kid has turned into a great wrestler and is going to contend for a title VERY soon. With the west being a bit weaker than the east, it puts Ryan at severe disadvantage when looking at that specific stat. 

16 minutes ago, CarlSpackler88 said:

McCallie did a great job of wrestling to their seed or above it BUT those stats are extremely misleading imo and especially unfair to Father Ryan. As previously stated by @FargoStrut, Aiden Hare was seeded #1 at 113 for winning the west regional, but if it were truly seeded, he would have been the #5 probably and ended up taking 4th with a monster win over Kibelbeck in the quarters. He had a great tournament and based on that stat it looks like he fumbled. Kid has turned into a great wrestler and is going to contend for a title VERY soon. With the west being a bit weaker than the east, it puts Ryan at severe disadvantage when looking at that specific stat. 

Carl, you make a few valid points and probably worded it better than I did while making the same point. First, you cant compare podium placement with bracket placement in a non-seeded tournament. The argument about  seed to placement "domination" only holds water if the tournament was truly and properly seeded. Secondly, with the East division having a slightly disproportionate number of better teams and  wrestlers, it stands to reason that more east division wrestlers would "out-perform" their placement (sometimes mistakingly referred to as seed) in the bracket at the state tournament. The opposite would be true of west divison teams and wrestlers. Hare wrestled to his "seed" or better, while he did not wrestle to his placement on the bracket that was not seeded. The ENTIRE McCallie lineup wrestled their butts off this past weekend and the total team points reflect this fact. The fact that y'all had half the number of champions that Baylor or Ryan had show the importance of having a complete team, even in an individual tournament. Total team points should be the metric being used, NOT seed to placement differential in a non-seeded tournament. 

4 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Just curious abt this. So, in the 113 lb bracket, are you calling Axel the 6 seed and Hare the 1 seed?? If so, yes Axel exceeded his seed to place differential by 3 and if Hare was "your 1 seed", he receives a -3. This would be true if brackets were seeded properly, instead of placed. However, it doesnt make seed to place true when they're not. If your being realistic about the brackets, both kids should probably recieve a ZERO in expected outcomes bc neither placed higher or lower than most reasonably expected when brackets were revealed. Same with Big Gentle and I'm sure there are probably others as well, he's NOT the 2 seed even if he's "placed" in the traditional 2 seed slot of a non- seeded tournament, therefore he shouldn't merit a +1.  Make sense?

I see  your point and agree the stat is mostly useless based because of the Region placement/modified seeding  format.  

3 hours ago, Roark7 said:

This is hilarious. Let’s quit hiding behind fake names and put real names out there and see just how brave everyone is too talk #### about kids then. I’d say it will be very few if any. To be honest if I knew who your son was and if he was any good at wrestling I just might have took him out of town to a tournament with Nashville Catholic when they were all young. 

STALLING!

1 minute ago, FR615 said:

Jake Yost needs to reign quite a few of you parents in. 

No. Pointing out that Father Ryan fans whine (a lot) is not a matter that should be discussed among McCallie's administrators and coaches. 

Father Ryan has some amazing wrestlers and coaches. I mean--these kids get after it.  I see why year after year, Father Ryan is awesome. 

But you guys, the parents and fans--at least the obnoxious ones-- are not awesome.  

I have not seen anyone from McCallie trash talking about sweeping the duals and traditional  state championships this year.  Sure we are all thrilled we won--but we just witnessed our guys lose 12 of 14 weight classes. So, we have a lot to work on.

So hats off to the Father Ryan wrestlers,  your kids were impressive (5 individual winners)--even if some your parents and fans were not. 

3 minutes ago, Whoweft said:

No. Pointing out that Father Ryan fans whine (a lot) is not a matter that should be discussed among McCallie's administrators and coaches. 

Father Ryan has some amazing wrestlers and coaches. I mean--these kids get after it.  I see why year after year, Father Ryan is awesome. 

But you guys, the parents and fans--at least the obnoxious ones-- are not awesome.  

I have not seen anyone from McCallie trash talking about sweeping the duals and traditional  state championships this year.  Sure we are all thrilled we won--but we just witnessed our guys lose 12 of 14 weight classes. So, we have a lot to work on.

So hats off to the Father Ryan wrestlers,  your kids were impressive (5 individual winners)--even if some your parents and fans were not. 

You have to be kidding. Have you even read this thread?

Edited by FR615