Ridiculous - 4 team districts

MCbobcats

On 2/26/2024 at 6:58 PM, MCbobcats said:

I didn’t say they did.  Don’t have a clue about anything about Upperman or anyone there.  I just know that there have been and there will be teams that tank under the direction of their coach as long as the current system stays as is. 

Tullahoma coach should have tanked to stay away from the Bees again.  If I’m not mistake he is 0-3 versus coach M and it has all been by double digits.  

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Maybe I should've done a better job of explaining as to why the baseball format is the best. Basketball is more of a "put 8 minutes on the clock, roll the ball out, and play."

The reason why I think baseball is more interesting is due to pitching strategy. If you go based on the district your team is in, one of the teams between Riverside, Adamsville, and Scotts Hill will make to the spring fling. You can even guarantee that two of those teams will make it based on the current format for this district/region in postseason play. I don't remember the seeding of y'alls district tournament last year, but the 1 seed would've played the winner of Bolivar/Madison (play in game) while the 2/3 seed would play each other. Therefore, the 2/3 game would likely used a #1 pitcher, where as the #1 seed would get the benefit of playing a team that already played a game, which assuming they would used their #1 pitcher already because of a single elimination game (Bolivar/Madison). Also, the home team gets the benefit of the last at bat.

The previous format for region play was the Monday (elimination game), Wednesday, and Friday (sub state game) format. What we witnessed was teams would used their #1 pitcher for that Monday game, may go number #3 pitcher for the Wednesday game (not an elimination game), but will used their #1/#2 pitchers for the sub state game on that Friday.

In the current format, the emphasis is more on a "pitching staff" and teams would burn their #1 in an opening regional tournament game, which is now not an elimination game. The strategy of how pitching, to me, is better. I hope that make sense!

I get that the baseball format is improved from what it was previously, but not that there could be a comparison between the two. The fundamental difference is that in baseball the defense controls the game and the pitcher controls the ball 100% of the time, and in every other sport the offense has control, and several players have the option of controlling the game. Just for the record, I never liked that one dominant player in baseball had that much influence in the outcome of a game, which could be the polar opposite without that one player.