Good Sportsmanship: Pickett Co/Knowledge

Tonight Knowledge Academies girls rode a long way to Pickett Co for their region game. They had a tough year and had to play the state ranked #2 Lady Bobcats on their home  court. Knowledge is a fairly new program and PC has a long history of success...5 state championships and have been to the state 6 of the last 8 years.  When they arrived they looked a little uncomfortable but when their starting five were announced, the announcer said, "Let's give Knowledge a warm Pickett County welcome. They have come a long way."  The large PC crowd all clapped for them and clapped for each player introduced. They had a good guard and the team made 4 threes. PC starters didn't play a lot and the game was still lopsided but each time a Knowledge player scored the PC student section and other PC fans clapped and cheered. That brought smiles to the Knowledge players and while I'm sure it wasn't fun to lose, I think they liked the welcome they got. The only bad part was a Pickett player turned quickly and before she could react ran into their guard. The Knowledge guard was in pain but was able to go back into the game after a few minutes. It was great to see the fans making the Knowledge girls feel a little better and while they had a tough season, I'm sure they had fun in practices, in games, making friendships with their teammates, getting to travel around and getting good healthy exercise. I hope they work hard and bring their program around. PC had some down years, but came back. Hopefully Knowledge will do the same.

22 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Picket county beat them by 80 points. I think after a 50 point lead you start passing the ball around and don’t shoot it anymore. 

In pickett's defense, it's the region tournament and they have to stay sharp.  Their next opponent is gonna be much more formidable and clarkrange could pull an upset 

1 hour ago, crow6424 said:

Picket county beat them by 80 points. I think after a 50 point lead you start passing the ball around and don’t shoot it anymore. 

I don't think Knowledge drove up to Btown to stand around and watch Pickett hold the ball.   At least they got to keep playing offense.    I would argue Pickett holding it is worse sportsmanship than letting your last 5 just play. 

1 hour ago, Alumn89 said:

I don't think Knowledge drove up to Btown to stand around and watch Pickett hold the ball.   At least they got to keep playing offense.    I would argue Pickett holding it is worse sportsmanship than letting your last 5 just play. 

You could pass the ball around for 1 minute and then take the shot. 

1 hour ago, Alumn89 said:

Agreed!! 100% for those of us that have been around the game for a minute we’ve ended up on both sides of this argument. I guarantee you Coach Smith went out of his way to not score 100 points and to allow the other kids to have a little bit of dignity in defeat.  When you have start up schools like this, they just don’t have the athletes to compete so these things happen.  Maybe the Pickett County faithful have turned over a new leaf and they will cheer for Clarkrange and their players the next game lol

Edited by UCSportsFan

3 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Agreed!! 100% for those of us that have been around the game for a minute we’ve ended up on both sides of this argument. I guarantee you Coach Smith went out of his way to not score 100 points and to allow the other kids to have a little bit of dignity in defeat.  When you have start up schools like this, they just don’t have the athletes to compete so these things happen.  Maybe the Pickett County faithful have turned over a new leaf and they will cheer for Clarkrange and their players the next game lol

Didn’t they boo Lamar Rogers off the court when he broke the wins record? 

27 minutes ago, Khall555 said:

Didn’t they boo Lamar Rogers off the court when he broke the wins record? 

That would be more like the PC faithful that we all know and love haha The parents of Knowledge Academy get the rare double bonus as their boys travel to Pickett tonight!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

That would be more like the PC faithful that we all know and love haha The parents of Knowledge Academy get the rare double bonus as their boys travel to Pickett tonight!  

I highly doubt they will be cheering for their boys, Knowledge just got their best player back from suspension. Pickett is just lucky it’s in Byrdstown and they should get the benefit of the home whistle like Jo Byrnes did against Clay earlier! 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

I would not know Pickett is one of the few gyms I have never been to. Certainly I have seen them play many times girls and boys but I have never been there.