Camden Central Names New Head Coach

@38320

I’m biased but he’s from good football lineage. John Ross is a former player at Henry County and the grandson of former Patriots head coach Bill Hudson, and also the nephew of current Patriots assistant coach/former NFL player John Hudson. 

Wishing him all the best at Camden! 

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I was surprised when I saw the announcement and it wasn't Josh. Seemed like a perfect fit. 

We are honoring the tradition of hiring the wrong  coaches . Like 1980 when we rejected not one but two on staff assistant coaches applications for our HC opening  The coaches Mike Mansfield and Rod Sturdivant both born and raised in Benton County but not good enough for us... I been meaning to congratulate them on all those gold and silver balls they won in Bruceton and Huntingdon but it keeps slipping my mind:roflol:

Edited by Beagle

On 2/27/2024 at 8:02 AM, stangsby3 said:

The real question is, is he going to keep the current DC? I understand Camden needs help on both sides of the ball, but the defense was really bad last year. 

Every team That McConnell coaches plays horrible defense with the exception of one Waverly team. I don't think he spends much time practicing that side of the ball. The only coach i know of that loses when scoring 50 points pretty regular. He  was doing it at Westveiw  before he started it here

Edited by Beagle

10 hours ago, Beagle said:

Every team That McConnell coaches plays horrible defense with the exception of one Waverly team. I don't think he spends much time practicing that side of the ball. The only coach i know of that loses when scoring 50 points pretty regular. He  was doing it at Westveiw  before he started it here

Camden could have been in the running last year if they had any defense. Apart from Huntingdon, Milan, and Riverside, they played really well on offense, but their defense gave away too many games. @Beagle How many of those kids are they returning for next season?

1 hour ago, stangsby3 said:

Camden could have been in the running last year if they had any defense. Apart from Huntingdon, Milan, and Riverside, they played really well on offense, but their defense gave away too many games. @Beagle How many of those kids are they returning for next season?

In the running? For what? Even 1A Dresden hung 28-0 on them in the few minutes of a Jamboree in Paris & it could've been worse without JV playing. It was incredibly worse than that the year prior at a scrimmage in Camden with same schools. Defense wasn't their only trouble. But Camden gets a fresh start this year, new coach, new look, new vibe. They deserve a chance to at least see where it falls. 

So many posts happy to see McConnell to hit the road, yet Westview fans have rented half of Chattanooga for December stays for the next decade. (Chris Coleman aside- that's the REAL winning hire to me) I'm just a football fan that loves to see the kids compete & play. I wish both of these programs luck for the kids sake. However, maybe I'm the only one, but everything surrounding this guy seems total love or hate with not much in between. It just seems odd. No hate from me, just conversation here. 

Did McConnell not have assistant coach help at Camden? Budget too tight? Right or wrong control freak 100% on everything? Just game plan to outscore everyone & not worry about the rest? So many kids play both ways at this level, how could they be good enough athletes to pile on 50 point games, yet not gain some form of respect on D? McConnell loses a coin toss in Martin & there will be grumbles from the stands, is he really ready for that after what he has/has not accomplished at Camden? Just for conversation.

1 hour ago, WestTennRaider said:

I've heard nothing but great things about John Ross. Give him a chance and see what happens. 

Exactly right! Every great coach had a first job, and probably people who thought it was certain that they would fail. When Frost was hired at Riverside he had already been a head coach but had a terrible record, plenty of posters on here mocking the hire, and fans in Decatur County sick to their stomach's that they "didn't hire a better coach"... look at how that worked out!