McKenzie Rebels HC candidates?

36 minutes ago, west10EZ said:

You may be correct , my guess it’s someone with HC experience … Carr, Foster, Hodge … those 3 would be my first interviews but I only know of two currently . 

Obviously, the coaching carousel in West Tennessee has been active this offseason. More active than what I expected. I knew there would be three head coaching  jobs for sure that will be available, maybe four. All four of those schools that I expected to get a new head coach, did in fact, get a new head coach. Right now, we're at 14 schools in West Tennessee that'll have a new football coach in West Tennessee.

Of those 14 schools, only three of them still have an opening. I will throw an interesting nugget at you, the 11 schools that filled their vacancy, either hired from within, or took another coach (whether if it's head/assistant) from another school in West Tennessee.

I have this odd theory that some schools will want to hire a head coach, just to hire a head coach. With that being said, it doesn't necessarily work out. Scott Stidham left South Gibson for Independence. He had the #1 player in the state in Ty Lockwood that was scheduled to play for him in 2022, but elected to have shoulder surgery and miss the year. He also had a player that is currently at Western Michigan in running back, Tre Hartwell. They ran more of a I-formation type offense with play action pass. Not to mention, Dexter McCluster is on that coaching staff. They're a 6A school with good athletes. In 2023, they lose Hartwell, and the offense changed to the Wing-T. The same offense that Stidham ran in Medina. To put it nicely, the offense plummeted in stats, and defense in that region figured them out. They were average, and it's not a good fit right now off 840.

I knew the Lexington job would be open last summer. I think everyone in Lexington had a feeling that it was going to be Hollingsworth's last season before the season began. With that being said,  they also had John Ross Hudson on staff. Hudson left Lexington as an assistant to go to Camden. That occurred while the Lexington job was still open. Kind of told me that Lexington was going to get a head coach somewhere, and they did.

Liberty hired Robert Gillard as their football coach. And yes, he did have heading coach experience at Kenwood and Austin-East. He spent 3 years at Kenwood as a head coach, and won around 10 games total. I love Tyler Reeder as a person, but he struggled at South Side, especially post covid. 

USJ hired an assistant in Derrick Pritchard  and South Gibson hired Ben Johnson, an assistant from Westview. I know McKenzie would do their homework, and I'm not worried about who they will hire. However, saying they'll bring a head coach just solely because he has the "experience" doesn't mean it's good.

8 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Obviously, the coaching carousel in West Tennessee has been active this offseason. More active than what I expected. I knew there would be three head coaching  jobs for sure that will be available, maybe four. All four of those schools that I expected to get a new head coach, did in fact, get a new head coach. Right now, we're at 14 schools in West Tennessee that'll have a new football coach in West Tennessee.

Of those 14 schools, only three of them still have an opening. I will throw an interesting nugget at you, the 11 schools that filled their vacancy, either hired from within, or took another coach (whether if it's head/assistant) from another school in West Tennessee.

I have this odd theory that some schools will want to hire a head coach, just to hire a head coach. With that being said, it doesn't necessarily work out. Scott Stidham left South Gibson for Independence. He had the #1 player in the state in Ty Lockwood that was scheduled to play for him in 2022, but elected to have shoulder surgery and miss the year. He also had a player that is currently at Western Michigan in running back, Tre Hartwell. They ran more of a I-formation type offense with play action pass. Not to mention, Dexter McCluster is on that coaching staff. They're a 6A school with good athletes. In 2023, they lose Hartwell, and the offense changed to the Wing-T. The same offense that Stidham ran in Medina. To put it nicely, the offense plummeted in stats, and defense in that region figured them out. They were average, and it's not a good fit right now off 840.

I knew the Lexington job would be open last summer. I think everyone in Lexington had a feeling that it was going to be Hollingsworth's last season before the season began. With that being said,  they also had John Ross Hudson on staff. Hudson left Lexington as an assistant to go to Camden. That occurred while the Lexington job was still open. Kind of told me that Lexington was going to get a head coach somewhere, and they did.

Liberty hired Robert Gillard as their football coach. And yes, he did have heading coach experience at Kenwood and Austin-East. He spent 3 years at Kenwood as a head coach, and won around 10 games total. I love Tyler Reeder as a person, but he struggled at South Side, especially post covid. 

USJ hired an assistant in Derrick Pritchard  and South Gibson hired Ben Johnson, an assistant from Westview. I know McKenzie would do their homework, and I'm not worried about who they will hire. However, saying they'll bring a head coach just solely because he has the "experience" doesn't mean it's good.

They are Mckenzie….with a lot of rich tradition and a roster that will win be favored to win it all next year … they aren’t going to hire someone with no experience… they’ll have the pick of their choosing … someone no one expects… they have new facilities and a d1 QB … if i’m wrong i’m wrong but my guess is that they’ll be an experienced and successful HC 

31 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Very true on the last part. There are a lot of Coordinators who are apart of successful programs and see the ins and outs of it but don’t get interviewed because they don’t have “experience” and there are a lot of head coaches who are successful because of their coordinators but they had the connection to get the head job. 

1 hour ago, west10EZ said:

They are Mckenzie….with a lot of rich tradition and a roster that will win be favored to win it all next year … they aren’t going to hire someone with no experience… they’ll have the pick of their choosing … someone no one expects… they have new facilities and a d1 QB … if i’m wrong i’m wrong but my guess is that they’ll be an experienced and successful HC 

Who is the D1 QB? Did he play in the state championship game?

13 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

What's wrong with the Wing T? Y'all don't want Scott Stidham to come over from Independence? Or even Swenson? Haha.

Regardless, McKenzie is going to be fine! I hope they don't settle for a coach. They're going to be okay!

Nothing wrong with it you can definitely win games with it, but as fan It is just a hard watch for me. Especially when a team uses almost a whole quarter to go 60-70 yards and then they fumble the ball and turn it over I'm screaming like you just did all that work for nothing lol.

22 hours ago, 1983 said:

Yes I agree, Surber is a great Sr. leader to have for a new coach.  They have a great shot to get back this season.  I do think the Rebel fans will have to lower expectations after this season.  It could be a few years before you see this kind of talent you have had the last few years.  

I totally agree, it will be a long time if ever.

12 hours ago, TheCountian said:

yeah, I may have went a little far with that LOL.  Gotta try to get an edge somehow.  I guess I was just going off of what he did in middle school.  He was the best of the three at that age,  Rushing and passing yards.  I know you can’t use that, but it’s fun to be positive for their team, right?  He was just a freshman this past season.  I would have liked to have seen him play QB a little more this past season He had a broke wrist or something l part of the season and then the other part where he did get to come in at QB we were up by 50 so no pass plays were called.  But he can run.   Melton will be special too.  People don’t realize how fast he is.  The Arline kid has been hitting the weights hard.  This season will be his breakout season which will only be his junior season.  This is fun talking some football and having opinions.  Don’t mean to come across as argumentative, just my opinion and having some fun. 

Yeah comparing to Surber and Cassidy is not fair. There is a lot more than to it than just being a good athlete. With Surber and Cassidy come intangibles to be honest most kids just don't have. These two are and were super intelligent individuals. Calmness under pressure like you wouldn't believe. Team first mentality and didn't care about being in the spotlight and does whatever it takes to win. When teamates make mistakes they would talk them up instead of displaying disgust or blame. Would never quit competing no matter the score. You see this with Eubanks @ Huntingdon and the D. White kid had it at Moore Co.   I'm not saying the kids you mention don't have those qualities - I have no idea about them, but kids don't need the added pressure of trying to live up to improbable expectations just let them be who they are.

32 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Ever? Thats a stretch. 

Maybe but in my opinion the last 4 years for McKenzie the talent level is as good as y’all have ever had and it is rare for small schools.  It doesn’t come around too often.

33 minutes ago, RexKwonDo said:

Yeah comparing to Surber and Cassidy is not fair. There is a lot more than to it than just being a good athlete. With Surber and Cassidy come intangibles to be honest most kids just don't have. These two are and were super intelligent individuals. Calmness under pressure like you wouldn't believe. Team first mentality and didn't care about being in the spotlight and does whatever it takes to win. When teamates make mistakes they would talk them up instead of displaying disgust or blame. Would never quit competing no matter the score. You see this with Eubanks @ Huntingdon and the D. White kid had it at Moore Co.   I'm not saying the kids you mention don't have those qualities - I have no idea about them, but kids don't need the added pressure of trying to live up to improbable expectations just let them be who they are.

Great post