Olympic Trials

Maybe some of the historians can get on here and help me out, but has anybody from Tennessee ever had as much success in an international style as Boykin? The only other Tennessee native I can remember competing for world team spots is the older Boykin in freestyle and he wasn't nearly as close as Nick has been to making world teams.

1 hour ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Maybe some of the historians can get on here and help me out, but has anybody from Tennessee ever had as much success in an international style as Boykin? The only other Tennessee native I can remember competing for world team spots is the older Boykin in freestyle and he wasn't nearly as close as Nick has been to making world teams.

The Simpson brothers had good freestyle careers.

Guessing this may have been the closest I can think of......

Bill Harlow: (from wiki)
After leaving OSU, Harlow went on to win three national titles in freestyle wrestling.  He won a silver medal at the 1970 World Wrestling Championships, falling to Soviet Gennady Strakhov in the finals at 90 kg.

15 hours ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Oh how quickly we forget (or maybe some never knew)…

Nick Marable (CBHS) made the 2014 US Freestyle World Team at 70 kg and wrestled in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.  Nick was 2-1 at the event finishing in 8th after losing to multi-time world medalist Shabanov of Belarus.  He holds the dubious honor of being the first wrestler to beat Jordan Burroughs in international competition.  He won a couple of US Nationals, placed at senior Pan-Am’s, was on two World Cup teams, and placed at several international events.  I think that is going to put him as most successful in the modern era at least. 

Nick Boykin (Riverdale) is having a good run and showing he can compete and be close to the top spot in the US at the senior level.  I am pretty sure Nick has made at least one age group world team (Jr or U23) but I am not going to look it up and could be wrong.

Beyond Marable and Nick Boykin, I think Phillip Simpson (MBA) got to wrestle in the Pan Am’s maybe… don’t quote me there but he was on the circuit a while during his Army stint and competitive at the senior level. 

Behind that it’s probably Tommy Brackett (CBHS) who has been in and around the senior level a while and made a U23 Greco team in 2021, got to wrestle and place at a couple of Pan AM age group events, and has made several international tours.  He was a match or two out from qualifying for the Olympic trials this cycle.  He has finished second in various age group world team trials a handful of times.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ghouse said:

Nick Marable (CBHS) made the 2014 US Freestyle World Team at 70 kg and wrestled in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.  Nick was 2-1 at the event finishing in 8th after losing to multi-time world medalist Shabanov of Belarus.  He holds the dubious honor of being the first wrestler to beat Jordan Burroughs in international competition.  He won a couple of US Nationals, placed at senior Pan-Am’s, was on two World Cup teams, and placed at several international events.  I think that is going to put him as most successful in the modern era at least. 

Nick Boykin (Riverdale) is having a good run and showing he can compete and be close to the top spot in the US at the senior level.  I am pretty sure Nick has made at least one age group world team (Jr or U23) but I am not going to look it up and could be wrong.

Beyond Marable and Nick Boykin, I think Phillip Simpson (MBA) got to wrestle in the Pan Am’s maybe… don’t quote me there but he was on the circuit a while during his Army stint and competitive at the senior level. 

Behind that it’s probably Tommy Brackett (CBHS) who has been in and around the senior level a while and made a U23 Greco team in 2021, got to wrestle and place at a couple of Pan AM age group events, and has made several international tours.  He was a match or two out from qualifying for the Olympic trials this cycle.  He has finished second in various age group world team trials a handful of times.  

Thank you. 

On 4/20/2024 at 11:47 PM, ghouse said:

Great Synopsis.

I think Simpson won the Pan Ams. It appears he was balancing military duties while wrestling internationally. 

Bill Harlow was a 3x national champ / world team member placing 2nd in the 1970 world championships.

Clearly Marabale and Harlow are our most decorated Tennessens on the international scene.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, YOUTHCOACH16 said:

Great Synopsis.

I think Simpson won the Pan Ams. It appears he was balancing military duties while wrestling internationally. 

Bill Harlow was a 3x national champ / world team member placing 2nd in the 1970 world championships.

Clearly Marabale and Harlow are our most decorated Tennessens on the international scene.

On 4/20/2024 at 11:47 PM, ghouse said:

If people knew the guys he beat that year haha.....he had an incredible year

James Green

Dustin Schalter

Moza Fay

Hunter Steiber

Logan Massa

Adam Hall 

Jordan Burroughs

• Upvote 2