Dyer Co. Punishment

overtime

I wish everyone who is so eagerly awaiting the ruling from the TSSAA would stop and think who is going to suffer the most from all of this. There are some on here who are hoping that Dyer Co. gets the death penalty. Whatever sanctions, if any are taken, the ones who will suffer the most are the student athletes and that is not somthing to be excited about. I know some of you are just kids yourself, but there are some that are adults and for you to be so caught up in all of this that you would want a young persons athletic future ruined is PATHETIC. You know who you are and you really need to get a life. The answer to all of this is IF the TSSAA has a reason to discipline the program it is the coaches and possibly the administration that should be punished. Even if it means the coaching staff resigning or being let go. If the TSSAA does not find enough to do anything I hope that some of you will get on here and offer an appolgy to the DC students and fans. Now I know that there are some over zealous DC fans that need to grow up and they to need to offer an appolgy if the TSSAA rules against DC. The boys basketball players nor any of the other sports should have to pay the price if there really has been a problem.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post. You're very much in agreement with a post of mine on another thread on the subject. I sincerely hope that if punishment is doled out over this matter it hits those who've brought this on to Dyer County athletics, not the athletes themselves. I am giving you a Good Mark Overtime.

Guest handydan

As jockrock so proudly brought to our attention Dyer County has been involved in some questionable situations over the past two years. However, the only thing in question is from which view point these actions have been seen. There is always two sides to a story.

Take story one for instance-The jersey in the face scenario. Montrelle was a 14 year old freshman who had just fouled out of a game and was frustrated with himself as well as the coach. I believe he has grown tremendously from that time and has turned into a fine floor leading captain. From the way you people are talking he should have been burned at the stake. Get real!!!

Take story two: the Halls game. A player asked to use the restroom and as he left some of his teammates followed. They did not leave on a direct order from the coaches and they were punished accordingly.

Story number three: Alleged illegal contact of several Dyersburg players. Several players (we all know who they are) were all cut by Dyersburg either because the Dyersburg coaching staff had conflicting personalities or maybe even they didn't see talent in them. No matter what the reason, they were dismissed from the team. As a player if I could not do what I love at one school then I would probably transfer to the closest alternative-in this case Dyer County. This hardly constitutes recruiting. If you want to talk recruiting lets hear it. Daniel Chatham, Mario Stewart, Terrance Maclin, Shaunda Strayhorn, Tara Butler, and Megan McNeil were all heavily recruited from a Dyer County feeder school to attend Dyersburg. All of these players are integral parts to their respective teams.

And another thing on the recruiting issue. Just to inform all the fans out there-The young boy that received the illegal bus ride as an eighth grader and pronounced ineligible to play at Dyer County by the TSSAA was not even given an opportunity to play at Dyersburg. He was a real star in Junior High and basketball was his only means of staying out of trouble. If kids are supposed to be first in high school athletics, it was definitely not depicted in this story.

From what I have seen through reading all this propaganda and a little bit of research, Dyersburg is interested in Dyersburg and its glory-not kids. It just amazes me that Dyersburg rejects can go to Dyer County and actually make something of themselves rather than being swept under the carpet like old dirt. eg (Cris Crisswell) cut from Dyersburg went on to be all district and region as a senior at DC.

I'll be the first to admit that Dyer County has made some mistakes and the TSSAA has punished them accordingly. The bus trip cost the coaches a one game suspension and probation among other sanctions. The fight cost the players involved a two game suspension. The Jones issue cost him a four game suspension. All the mistakes have been paid for.

The punishment should fit the crime and as far as I can see no punishment has been issued towards the violations committed by Dyersburg. Does Sam Miles have that much control of the TSSAA board of controls? I hope not and I pray for consistency when all this is said and done.

[Edited by handydan on 12-18-02 9:57A]

listen! would this be different if it wasn't you all's school were axing? no one should be able to get away with the things dyer county has done in the past year. come on! i don't really think that dyer county's athletic program should suffer, BUT i DO think they should FIRE BUTCH. he has gave their whole school a BAD REPUTATION. everywhere they go people are going to consider them as the school that has to go and get other kids to represent their school. he has a problem with LOSING a couple of times.

HE NEEDS TO GROW UP, NOT THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE!!!!

Dyer Co. hasn't gotten away with anything. They have been punished for recruiting, for the fight and I really think that the punishment was too harsh for the crime. The TSSAA (Sam Miles?) did everything they could to make it as hard for Dyer Co. to get back to the 'Boro as possible, but the team prevailed. Kenia, unless you are a kid in high school, you need to GROW UP if you want to see innocent student athletes punished for the mistakes of their coaching staff. I have posted on several occasions that IF there has been a violation by the coaching staff then Butch should be the one to suffer the penalty.

There is no way a coach should be able to get away with as much as Dyer Co.'s coach. Even if it is not the kids fualt the school should be punished accordingly. You cvannot sit here and tell me though that is completely the coach and admin. Some of these are the kids. However i see the need not to punish the parties that have not taken part but something must be done to prove to the rest of the schools out there that are doing the same things that the TSSAA will not accept anything that they prohibit as being "O.K."

Both of you have made excellent points in your posts. I would hate to see kids punished for the mistakes of an adult. Like in college athletics, the kids at Alabama and Kentucky (football) are being punished because of the actions of previous coaches and administrators. It's not fair to the children who buy into a coaches philosophy and work their butts off to please their coach, teammates, and themselves. As adults, we need to take a good look in the mirror and see if the programs we support are doing what's best for the kids (ex. teaching discipline and team work) or if they are simply trying to feed their own egos! By the way, if D.C. gets punished (and I hope the team doesn't) it will probably be for the scrimmage they had last spring vs. Milan when they weren't supposed to.

cannot keep my mouth shut any longer.....here it goes...

go to tssaa web site and e-mail a complaint on dburg high....i dare you, i challenge you, you are not a man if you don't....your daddy wears pink panties and your momma has hairy legs if you don't make a complaint against dhs...after all, you have the proof......if you don't complain, then put that pacifier back in your mouth.....

after the investigation, you can then blame ronnie carter for dburg being cleared......after all, he is the CEO....

why will they be cleared....cause they have an athletic director who has been around for about 40 years and can read the rules....he has control of the sports system and makes sure his coaches are doing what is right....

outside of me, you will not see anyone else get on here and defend dburg high, why, cause everyone else outside of this county knows that, except for a few in newbern.......

blame anyone you want, but if you don't be a man and make a complaint to the TSSAA, then blame yourself.......or is it because you are affraid of the truth about dburg?

hey handydan,

yeah, this is the guy that brought up the entire incident with montrell a few years ago. all i wanted to do was give my opinion on butch. like i said "i think that he is a little soft on his players!" like i said as well, im in college on my way to becoming high school coach, and if ANY of my players threw something in my face, they would be gone for good. im not saying burn montrell at the stake, im saying he is off the team. i know i wouldnt have it, no matter who it is. but because he is gonna be a star he is left on the team, and his older backups dont get a chance to play when they have been disciplined and they have less time left than montrell.

oh, and obviously you missed the point on the recruiting situation. and if you want to name those players then you go right ahead, but for a fact i know that daniel chatham was being recruited by butch!!! he DECIDED to come to dyersburg. ANYWAY, WHAT I WAS SAYING WAS ALL ABOUT DISCIPLINE!!! when i mentioned darwin and keenan i was saying that they hade been EXCUSED from the dyersburg team, and they are now playing for dyer co. do you really think that i would say that they were being recruited while going to school at dyersburg??? hmmm... i think that you tried a little TOO hard with your research and investigation buddy. if there is anyone on here that needs to grow up its you bud. do you really think that you work for some newspaper while you investigate all of what we say? i dont think that you work for the dyersburg news, and if you do, then they need to find someone else to put in your place. you, my friend, seem as though you live on playing like you know everything about sports.

final thoughts:montrell should have been kicked off varstiy, or the team 3 years ago. (btw, do you really think that he has grown up into a great captain? well, with the eyes i looked through 3 years ago and 3 weeks ago against dyerburg, he still looks like the same trash talkin, jersey thowin, kid that i saw then as i see him now!). butch needs to go, handydan needs to grow, and then i can root for dyer county just like the good ole days...

aight handy,

well here is one thing that we will probably agree on. i dont want the "violations" to affect the kids. im clear on that. i want dyer county to go to state. i want dyersburg to go to state. i would also like halls to go to state. if all of these problems have continued through the years at dyer county, then butch needs to go. if brown has done it at dyersburg, then he needs to go. its as simple as that. but i do want to say one thing about chris criswell. granted chris was a very good ball player. think about it though... looking at your senior season, you see that you are competing with victor driver and thomas harris, then i think that i would move too. but the thing is that chris wasnt released from the dyersburg team in DISCIPLINARY fashion. it was a choice, and he made the right decision, and made coach north sorry that he cut him. so, congrats to chris...

I have never said I have any proof of any wrong doings with Dyersburg. I do think that there has probably been some illegal contact by coaches. What I said was I didn't want to see the student atheletes at DC punished. If there is a problem let the Coach and adminstration take the punishment.

atlshauf, be careful saying what you will and won't do when you are just one year out of HS. Never say never, I think players can be disciplined without being removed from the team. Montrelle's best chance in life is getting a college degree from basketball. It would have been a shame for a coach to take that away from him as a freshman because of a stupid mistake. If Butch had gotten rid of him I bet Dyersburg would have welcomed him with open arms.

[Edited by overtime on 12-17-02 6:01P]