Dyer Co. Punishment

overtime

Guest handydan

First to altshauf. We do agree that the kids should not be punished on either side, but I did not see any remorse regarding the life that was ruined by Dyersburg in the form of the junior high player that was not even given a chance to play ball. Dyersburg and the TSSAA took away his only hope for becoming something, but I guess he just didn't fit the so called perfect mold for which the coaches at Dyersburg select their teams.

I also would like to respond to your comment about me getting a job for the newspaper. Do you think I would be like Dale Constance (Former editor of the State Gazette) and get fired for supporting Dyer County athletics equally to the almighty Dyersburgs? That is something that you can chew on. It's sad that there is that much jelousy that a man lost his job over it. I'm sure people won't rest until several others get fired. I'm really surprised that Coacht has not lost his website over people posting negative comments about Dyersburg. Oops I probably shouldn't have said anything. People might get some ideas.

As for you mg. The only thing that will keep Dyersburg from the same punishments as Dyer County is the good ol' boy system. You know- Sam Miles and his relations with Mr. Ronnie Carter. If that is the case the lawsuit at Brentwood will be followed by another.

A final statement on this wonderful rivalry is this: Everthing was always fine between the two schools until Dyer County started winning. When a team (Dyer County) is so weak for so long it is hard for people to handle losing to them and this is not just Dyersburg it's everywhere. Just because Dyer County is winning it is assumed that they have to cheat. This is simply not true. Could it be that they were just finally due?

Again I'm not saying they have done no wrong because they have. They have been punished for their wrong doing and so should everyone else. However, these minor violations have in no way created this team- that would be old fashioned blood, sweat, and tears combined with God given athletic ability.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest handydan

I want anyone who reads these posts to understand that I am not against Dyersburg or for Dyer County. I only want consistency to be seen in all sports, towns, and programs. I have just watched this situation grow and it seems almost too fishy that two schools both with great basketball teams competing for county wide athletes have committed violations and only one has been punished. May I add- punished severely. I hope all this comes to an end and each team can represent Dyer County at the Boro this year. Man wouldn't that be something for West Tennessee if Dyersburg, Dyer County, and Halls all were playing for a state title.

overtime, if you were a fan of the GAME. then you would realize that you are deathly mistaken. once again, you sit on the left side of the bleacher while i sit on the right. i have FRIENDS on both teams, yes if you dont see it, then someone else does. dyer county is undisciplined, dyersburg is disciplined, that is all there is to it. no, my friend, you are the one who doesnt have a clue as to what YOU are talking about.

handy, yes we do agree. no this players future in high school basketball should not be over. in the same since, if he doesnt fit the system of the school, then every person at every school who doesnt fit in at their system is the exact same way. those are the rules. no matter where you are, if you dont fit in with the team, then you dont play for the team.

as far as dale constance, well i beleive what i want to beleive about him. no i dont beleive that it was equal attention. otherwise, why is he out of the job right now? anyway, im talking like you think that you are some sort of politician of prep basketball. no i dont think that you would be a dale contance. no of course not. you would be a butch hopkins disciple like someone said before, you would probably name the gym after him. that is who you could be, but no, wait, you couldnt get the job in the first place.

Did you play? It is apparent that you are looking for a little post high school revenge because DC had their way with you the last few years. You have no idea what kind of discipline goes on behuind the scenes at DC. Last year Hopkins set Cyrus for 2 games for missing practice. Butch and DC have done wrong, they have and will be punished. Dyersburg has a good program,but they are not perfect. You will never suceed as a coach if you are not willing to give players a chance to make a mistake and LEARN from it. Wasn't Jeremy

Taylor involved in an on court altercation last season? Yes he was. According to you he should have been dismissed from the team, but thankfully Coach Brown allowed him to stay on and hopefully he will get the opportunity to further his education because of it. You cannot run a program like Woody Hayes used to.

PEOPLE:

Don't question why a player was or was not thrown off the team. You all, like Yoda, are not there everyday. Maybe it was the first offense, the player apologized, got suspended, disciplined, whatever. Kids deserve second chances, but not fourth and fifth ones.

It is really hard for a DC/Dyersburg fan/player to evaluate the other program when you are not a part of it. Give it 5-10 years when you learn a little more about coaching, life, and the game. Things are not always as they appear.

IF, and I mean IF, punishment is handed down, it should be this:

Dyer Co. should be able to play the regular season, but no post season tournaments, kind of like the NCAA. Don't punish the kids for the stupid and irresponsible acitons of a few adults. I realize you are punishing the kids to a certain degree, but at least they still get to play. Let the program suffer, not the players. You will be surprised on how fast things get cleaned up.

Just a humble opinion by a basketball fan.

obviosly you can run a program like woody hayes used to. does the milan bulldogs football team bring that to mind. anyway, say what you want about jeremy taylor. DID HIS ALTERCATION HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM?HMMM.....I THINK IT DIDNT. so you see how intelligent you look when you try to put down a college student, as well as try to put the blame for dyer countys wrong doings on dyersburg. yes i played. and oh, by the way, about basketball, i was born with one in my hands, so i know alot more about it then the average bear. anyway, bring your maturity up a bit, and realize that i am not a fan of butch, but i like dyer county sports as well as dyersburg and halls. maybe here in a little while you can think before you write, and maybe we can comminicate on the same level, because im not planning on coming down to yours.

[Edited by altshauf on 12-18-02 3:33P]