Lebron James Again

bogus

MAryville...first I want to commend you and your brother for your GPAs. Please use your knowledge to analyze this... You said that you and your brother worked your butts off to have a better career in life. How much time do you think LeBron James has spent working in the gym on his game? Your nose was in the books about as much as LeBron was in the gym working. He still has a GPA of 2.7, and where do you have the right to call that dumb or lazy, those are the people who have and "F" average the last time I was in high school.......

Second...You stated that other athletes with scholarships got into college and received more money. How much money does a typical student that doesn't play sports bring to the colleges? Then ask yourself how much money would a LeBron James bring to a major college basktball university if he played there? I can understand your point, but as I stated back in the summer, if people want to do something about the amount of money athletes are getting paid, stop going to games, watching them on TV, and buying odds and ends that the NBA or any other professional team market. You see, a team owner can only give a player money that customers have given through revenues by us, the fans. If you stop buying, you stop their revenue. My main complaint with you is about your statement of mediocre status. That would be like someone wishing you or your brother make an "F" on your tests. I wish you and everyone trying to do anything positive with their lives only the BEST that life has to offer. I don't wish you to have a mediocre job despite your excellent GPA. I wish you the best job that you deserve and life has to offer you. Please rethink your "mediocre" statement, its never "funny" to not acheive your full potential in life. :(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop hating on James....He will be a good pro;however, the media has put him up so high that the only place he can go is down :) ...... One thing u guys are forgetting the way the lakers are playing they might get to pick james!!!! :D That is scary the 3 best players in the world Shaq,KObe,James :(

A 2.7 isn't bad. A 1.7 is pretty bad.

Not everyone is capable of a 4.0...and I take it by your brother's 4.5 that your school district doesn't use a flat 4-point scale. Mine does, and I wouldn't be surprised if James's does. My GPA would have been quite a bit better if honors classes had been 5 points for an A and AP classes had been 6 points, like a lot of other districts do.

Generally, college eligibility is a 2.0 and a total of 68 on the four subscores from the ACT. And Maryville, I know your frustration as far as not having as many scholarship opportunities. But you have to remember that most athletics scholarships don't come from the general fund. There's athletics endowments and other donations specifically for the athletics department at most schools. Their scholarships don't come from the same budget as the scholarships for the rest of us.

I went to Maryville and worked for my GPA and have to have to say shush to the man who claims we would have 2's in a private...I don't think so. But to anyone hating on LeBron they should stop. You all are being jerks, who cares if he doesn't go to college. How come you all don't say anything about all the Baseball, Hockey, and Soccer players who never go to college? These guys especially baseball end up making little money and staying in cheap motels (in the minors) and are no older than 18 & 19 yrs old somehow it always ends up being the b-ball players who all of you all want to tell to go to school why is that. Yeah kid skip that $50mil and go to school yup, ignore those guys who get a degree while playing yup that's a myth. You all the days of the homeless star may end with these huge contracts and advanced medicine LeBron doesn't need a degree he will be fine who cares if he is not working when he is 35 he is set and doesnt need to. He doesn't have to support you so leave it be I hope he tears that boring NBA up it needs life. I hope he goes pro. Why don't you get on the baseball boards and complain about Seah Burroughs not going to school? Get lives.

Does anyone know which NBA teams he practiced with? I know he practiced with the Nets. Would he still be eligible for college ball if for some reason he chose not to go to the NBA? just wandering.

Posted by boyd9:

Does anyone know which NBA teams he practiced with? I know he practiced with the Nets. Would he still be eligible for college ball if for some reason he chose not to go to the NBA? just wandering.

The Cavs got in trouble because he worked out with them this summer. I haven't heard anything about him working out with the Nets.

I *HIGHLY* doubt he would be eligible to play in college due to some of the handouts he's probably received along the way.

Well Maryville has advanced honors and honors classes that give you extra points towards your GPA. Also, like I said, if I was a failure in life for 55 million dollars, I wouldn't be too totally mad about it. Also Carl Stewart, 4A Mr. Football, and Lee Humphrey, 3A Mr. Basketball canididate, both excel in sports and academics. They both are proud of the 4.0 gpas and they both excel at their sports. Lee Humphrey also would have been a star quarterback at Maryville had he not given up football for basketball. Academic scholars bring money to the university through their selective major, in science the student might bring in money through an invention, or in engineering maybe a draft of a building. The difference is, colleges get publicity from athletes, bigger publicity than academics. However, with this publicity also comes a cost. The facilities, the transportation, the equipment all cost money. A big name going to your school, whether it be in athletics, theatre, or science is going to bring some type of money or publicity, its just which brings the most. See, my brother didn't make the high school baseball team because he was a shy kid that didn't have a name. He didn't have a name because we had only moved to the town a year before he started high school. He was young for his grade, infact he was barely 13 when he started high school, maybe younger. He played baseball in little league with the the boys in the class of 2002 and 2001, but he was in the class of 2000. He requested to be held back in 8th grade, but they denied him saying that they could no longer challenge or teach him anything. So he was the youngest guy in his class. When he tried out for the baseball team, all that had the big names made it, and he was left out. He was much better than anyone in the class of 2001 and 2002 and he proved it numerous times on the field, but still his sophomore year the coaches ignored the smart kid. They chose the younger players, the ones that he proved to be better than. His junior year he gave up, knowing they wouldn't take a junior over the great incoming freshmen. So he stuck to his bookwork and earned a spot in the top 10 percent of his class. Then in college he walked on, he was at a disadvantage, however, because he couldn't throw a curve quite as well as the high school pitchers and his arm wasn't as strong. As a junior he's caught up, but he still sits the bench during the college games. In summer ball he was the best pitcher on the team, he sported an era of 3.15 in 18 innings with 15 strike outs and only 2 walks. He outpitched the best pitchers on the actual college team, but still he sits the bench...because he's smart. Okay, now...I'm going to stop here because you probably don't want to hear anymore about my brothers life. Just one more thing, my brother was born with epilipsy, he had it until the 3rd grade, since 3rd grade he's had straight A's and played baseball since he was 8. He played on every all star team possible from 8 years old on. And played on 4 traveling baseball teams, he earned his spot playing baseball with time, and skill, but he was forced to take a back seat to the dumber players that are just as talented, or less talented. Seems kinda weird!?

That was a great story about your brother. I wish him only the best and you also. But, please give props to LeBron and anyone else trying to better themselves and has a positive attitude. Here are two things that Cuach Unger from Lees-McRae told me when I played for him at King College....If you BUST your butt and have a positive attitude, good things will happen to you. Stay positive and make someone's day by bringing them up and not putting them down :o)

:):):D:):)

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-7-03 12:54A]

Like everyone else I would like to commend you and your brother on your hard work and good grades. I find it hard to believe that so many coaches would shaft your brother simply on the basis that "he was smarter", but if that truly is the case(and that doesn't make any sense if it is) then I also commend your brother for his hard work in spite of this. HOWEVER, if you think that public school is as tough as private school academically, pleeeeease be realistic. There have been "students" at my school who have had to leave because of their grades and gone to public school and end up with 3.5's and higher. I remember one person who failed out of my school and went to the public school I would be zoned for and had a 4.0 through the rest of high school. My best friend left my school to go play football at one of the best public schools in the city and he sported a 4.0 before transferring back to our school after the first semester. My friend and I have always scored in the same range academically. He said that it was a joke compared to our school and that he RARELY had any homework to do(as opposed to our 2 hours a night). So while you may be judging your statements based on public schooling, please don't make a blanket statement saying that 2.7 is stupid, after all it is a B-, and I don't think that is stupid by any means. Also, don't think that I'm trying to knock on public schools, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them at all, but there is no doubt that they are not nearly as tough academically as private schools. I also know that my school requires more credits than public schools just to graduate, so whereas instead of taking a gym class I'm taking more math and english. And seriously, where did you hear that 2.7 is the lowest GPA that you had to have to get into college? I very well know that there is a minimum GPA to get into schools, I'm not "stupid" as you have said and I don't need you to tell me that there's a minimum GPA. For someone that has(or had) a 4.0 you should at least have the common sense to know that you can get into college with a B- average. Another thing, you're going to call me lazy? I played on a traveling baseball team this fall and I had to go to practice 2 nights a week, one of our practice sites was over an hour away from my house and I had to drive that far to and from practice at least once a week. The other three days that I wasn't having team practice, I would practice for at least an hour on my own(either hitting, throwing, lifting, or working on speed) as well as working 5 hours at my part-time job after school. Put that with out of town tournaments every weekend where you don't get home until Sunday night and it's pretty hard to keep up with school work. I would be willing to bet SERIOUS money that I work just as hard as you and your brother, so don't call me lazy.

I think james is good and that he will still be good in the NBA, but i think he would be better off going to college for at least 2 years, that way when he steps up to the pros it wont be as much as a tallent change. i mean there is still going to be a big difference but not as much as high school straight into pro.. and if he somehow gets injured ruining his athletic career then he will still have some education to fall back on instead of going all out for money... EVEN though it is a ton of money.