Giles 84 Lewis 55

smokeyvol1

Tonights game just goes to show there is more to Giles County than Tyler Smith. Eric Howard and Travis Gentry had a great game. Eric had 29 while Travis scored 25. Tyler wound up with 14. For some strange reason coach Holt had Tyler playing out on the perimeter almost the whole game. While Tyler had a hard time getting going it sure is nice to see not only one but two others step in and get the job done! When you have a player like Tyler its not often you get to steal the headlines but I'm hear to tell you this is NOT A ONE MAN TEAM! Every game has been total team effort and its nice to be able to show the rest of Tennessee we are made of several really good players, its just not often you get to hear about them when you have a Tyler Smith on your team. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a big guy like Tyler let's the other guys really fine tune their game because more than likely everytime Tyler gets the ball in the paint Tyler's gonna get double teamed.

The Bench Mob was huge scoring about 30 points. Travis had 25 alone just coming off the bench!

How about that windmill dunk?!?! Was that not awesome?

Sure Giles won by 29, but from what I saw Coach Johnson's coaching strategy worked well. He seemed to want to get Smith out of the game and make the other players beat them. Well the Panthers definitely shut down Smith as he was off all night, but the other players really stepped up big for Giles.

I really think it was sad to see Smith in there with 3:00 to go in the 4th quarter with a 27 point lead against Lewis County's B team. I'm not sure whether Coach Holt was hoping to see Smith jack-up his average or dunk on some hopeless Panther freshmen. Either way he did neither, as our young boys played unintimidated against the man-child and stuck to the defense scheme laid out by Johnson and Cox.

Lewis County looked good up until halftime and made the game respectable unlike the last one. I think they will make a huge run now right up until the district tourney where they will make some noise.

Not trying to sound like a GCHS fanboy, but I don't know what you're talking about. Sure you held Tyler in check, so what? That doesn't mean that you're team's going to be making a peep during tourney time.

Also, it's not like all the GCHS fans have been harping just on Tyler Smith, this is the #6 TEAM in the state.

Guest lewisfan129

for once someone besides myself saw deeper into the giles county game than the score. thank you mr.honesty that was the best post ive seen in a while. its nice to see that someone actually knows what they're talking about rather than just getting on here and trash talking. if anybody actually paid attention to the game rather than screaming "we want dunks", they would have noticed that tyler smith was pretty helpless. he had no points in the first half and he took several wide open shots. the two absolute best plays of the game though were panther big man jeff sparkman blocking an alley-oop and another panther putting a body on tyler smith, stopping him from an alley-oop. i used to see tyler smith and saw no holes in his game whatsoever, but now im convinced he's still got a pretty good way to go before he can compete with the big boys. giles county is one of the best teams ive maybe ever seen in high school, but they are still very beatable on any given night.

Lewis Countians..... come on. You can't possibly think you shut down Tyler Smith. Was it not obvious that holt wanted to put him out on the wing and make the other players step up ? At ANY time during the first half we could have dropped Tyler down low and he would have scored at will. This was simply an experimental game on the coaches behalf and what better team to experiment on than Lewis County ? It was quite obvious to me that Tuesdays game plan was carried out. And yea, Tyler is still learning, still growing as a player. Afterall he is only a sophmore. This team and this game particularly was not all about Tyler. They're learning, growing as a team and since week 3 I have seen an unbelievable turn for the better. I didn't understand though why Tyler was still in the game with 3 mintues left. All I can figure is like you said, Holt wanted him to keep his stats up, I dunno. Whatever the reason, I don't agree with it.

Like I said, you held Tyler under 20 points....so what? Your coach must feel really special that his "gameplan" shut Tyler down. Well he must have forgotten that there are 4 other players on the court besides Tyler. Eric Howard who's probably averaging like maybe 8-10 points a game (he's a true point guard who makes great decisions) went for 29 and Travis Gentry part of the "Bench Mob" went for 25. When you're getting near 30 points a game from bench play alone, you're not going to lose.

Hey Goldenboy what's your e-mail address? As a part of the cheering section, I take great offense to this and would LOVE to tell you what REALLY went down. I'd also like to know what exact chant you were referring to.

#30 chants:

30 got splinters (he was playing bench)

30 plays tennis

30's in band

30 plays flute

30 is 3rd string

30 is a freshman

30's in middle school

Get 30 out, we're not impressed

30's garbage

You have to understand that #30 and us (the cheering section) were both talking trash b4 the game but it wasn't really anything bad we were just joking around. 30 was even laughing and half the time we were chanting stuff 30 was laughing.