Lebron James...

QueenBee

Well...I think being from the south may cause some people to react the way they do I mean, why is everyone so crazy about him going pro? It's no big deal if he doesn't want to go to college and he wants to play now let him. Whats wrong with the NBA recruiting kids straight from high school? I think its fine I mean they aren't saying don't go to school, come on now CALM DOWN.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lordinfamous... a college education has almost nothing to do with money or earning a living. Very few people understand this point. THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE WERE IN COLLEGE! Education does help most people earn a better living, but life is about more than just earning a living. I'm not upset about LeBron James, I wish him well, but it is the precedent that it sets for the future. Almost everyone knows this kid is a one-in-a-million super stud, but he now becomes a role model for every half-way talented (and thousands who have less than half) high school and junior high athletes who think they can drop out of school and turn pro. Again, the numbers are stacked against them... less than 3% of all high school athletes play at college and less than 1% of college athletes turn pro. We need to focus on education for 97% of all high school athletes. Again, it is not Lebron James that we are focusing our frustration at, it is the system. I have one word to say to sum it all up, "EXPLOITATION."

ELA,

I agree 100% that high school athletics is headed down the wrong road with Lebron James. Our sensibilities are out of whack. Money does not justify the means, no matter how small or large the sum may be.

Most child actors have crashed as adults, and they have had problems adjusting to the next phase of life. Some child actors have actually chosen to attend college and postpone some of their acting gigs. Imagine that!

There is no substitute for the college experience. For those who don't wish to attend college, there should be an alternative that prepares one for life after adolescence.

Did anyone hear Jim Harrick, Georgia's basketball coach, during his interview on Dan Patrick's show the other day? He said that he recruited kids who wanted to experience college and get a degree, and in the process have fun.

Yet, professional sports is a business, and different than college. If a person wishes to be employed by a pro team who wishes to hire him, it is difficult to deny that person the opportunity.

But anyone who borrows money based on future earnings is not wise. Write this down, Lebron James is going to have some tough times down the road. And in his wake, there will be casualties.

Name some child actors that have crashed as adults. You said most so I expect that you can at least name 4 since I named 3 who have not.

I guess that college is about what you want it to be about. For me, I want it to be about getting a degree so that I can make money. For you, it may be about having fun and enjoying the college experience .

If you look at the #1 rated players how have left early for the NBA, none of them have failed. They are all better off than they would have been if they had went to college. McGrady, Garnett, and Kobe are the only 3 who were rated #1 in the last decade. As for players who are not rated #1, they should consider college because it will help them make more money in the long run. I guarantee you that Lebron will be a huge success too.

What is the point of going to college? The real reason you go to college is to get an education. You receive an education in what you would like your future job to be. Some people might say it is the expeience of college. The experience what is the experience and if you are going for the experience are you really going for the right reason. If Lebron wishes to go to college for the education then go. If your going for the education it doesn't matter what time of year you go. Why should he go to college and take somebodies place who wants to receive an education free and may not be able to afford it. College is to give you an education for your future job not for the experience. Lebron will get alot more experiences when he is a multimillion dollar NBA SUPERSTAR. When he's doing what he wants to do not what we want him to do. I still haven't read a good idea why he shouldn't go and do what he loves.

College is not about what type of job you will work in when you graduate. If you want that type of experience go to a technical school or vocational school. COLLEGE IS ALL ABOUT AN EDUCATION. Look up the definition of a liberal arts education or "higher education." It is about expanding your mind and viewpoint of the world around you... NOT EARNING A LIVING. Believe it or not, money is not the driving factor for most educated people. This just shows how far down our values have fallen in life. Our schools no longer teach the "real value" of an education. The purpose of education is to expand your mind, if that helps you earn a better living, so be it. The purpose of education is to make you a better citizen. The purpose of education is to make you a more compassionate and understand intellectual. NOT MONEY! If your only motivation in life is to earn money, you can do that selling drugs or stealing from those of us who try to live by the rules. EDUCATION IS ABOUT EDUCATION! It's no wonder why some people on here think it is okay for an 8th grader to be lured into a semi-pro contract or sneaker deal. LOOK, I coach for a living and love athletics, but I will be the first to tell you that if you can't read, write, add, subtract, multiply, divide, and know a little about your world and civic responsibilities, you will NEVER know what is like to be a full and responsible citizen. I know of some adults, like my mother-in-law who had to drop out of high school when she got pregnant, but she went back to school and finished her degree. She is very well read and studies all the time even though she is near the age of 59. Unfortunately, many of today's youth are perfectly happy to NEVER read anything other than a few sites on the Internet. Math, science, and social studies are something they have long since tried to forget since they left school.

My advice is and will ALWAYS be to "Stay in school, go to college, and then go pro if you have what it takes." If you are under the age of 27, don't even bother to respond to these posts, you may not be old enough to appreciate it... YET!

[Edited by ELA on 1-19-03 4:45P]

:x LordInfamous is in colllege and on the Dean's list and is proud of it, I also intend to stay on it. I am a Comm major and my first day in Comm230 I learned that even with a masters I would be lucky to start off making $18,000 my first year out of school, did you know people with masters make $14,000? I'm sure you do, but ELA i agree with you college is fun, I have only been in school for a short time, and spent the first 2 mts as a 17yr old but since I have turned 18 :) I have realized what a wonderful thing college is. I am serious about my studies but I know college is also a social training ground and an opportunity to have the time of your life. But, I hope James goes pro becaues he will have a great time playing pro ball going to huge parties (he already is best friends with a bunch of rappers) and just having fun. I had an uncle who was drafted by the Lakers out of high school but he made a mistake and didn't make it to the first day of practice and never wore the purple and gold, but I hope James is smart (he will be) and goes on to be a bigtime star, he will get a degree by the way, but I am sure he will have fun being a superstar.

Todd Bridges, Sologne Moon-Fryge, Tempest Bledsoe, Gary Coleman, Danny Bonni???can't spell it, Beaver, they all stunk it up as adults. You all remember Pepe Lopez that kid who was on all the covers his Jr. year of high school and was supposed to be all world, and ended up at St. Johns? Where is he now???? BUT ANYWAY LEBRON NEEDS TO BE IN THE NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by LordInfamous on 1-19-03 10:08P]

You have made some very valid points. Good points that go towards LeBron James going PRO. You said that colleges are for expanding the mind and having a better understanding of the world. I honestly agree with you 100%. But tell me when was the last time a college education paid the electric bill, or put food in your mouth. You must have both a fed mind/soul and a fed stomach. The harsh reality is that someone is willing to pay millions of dollars to put a player in a uniform and let him showcase in front of thousands of fans every night. And the sad thing is that people keep paying to see him. I would never pay $150 to see him play or buy a PPV event to watch him. But, I will also never tell someone not to do something that I would do. You give me an offer even half the size he is getting and I will be laughing all the way to the bank with a college book in the other hand. The last time I checked, LeBron James is still eligible to go to college on his own time. Why not have both money and knowledge. Knowledge without money makes a poor but educated mind. Money and Knowledge make a Rich and powerfully Educated person.

It all sounds good, but after he gets the millions, do you really think he will see the need and go back to college? You're right about one thing, my point of contention is not with this young man but those who are "using him." Of course, hundreds of young people out there are thinking as they read this, "Boy, I wish someone would use me like that, I would laugh all the way to the bank." Who knows, this may end up one of those great American success stories? I guess I'm just fed up with this whole notion of paying millions and millions of dollars to young athletes to by-pass college to go pro. Maybe we should let them have their "big shoe deals" and still play college ball. I promise you this, if the NBA were not willing to accept this boy right out of high school, he would be headed to Ohio State, Kentucky, or one of the great basketball programs in the NCAA. Along the way, he would still earn millions and enjoy a college education. In the end, the result would most likely be the same. All I have ever said is allow these young men to grow up and enjoy their youth before going to work as a professional athlete.