Stopping the WING-T?

ELA

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a coach who knows how to study a defense then you can burn a team. John Mullinax was the best i seen at preparing an offense for a game. Linebackers cant always read the guards because there some plays were the guards run opposite ways or the play can go away from the guards. There are hundreds of things you can do to confuse a defense. As far as speed go's, you could always run jet which is pretty hard to stop. I believe the wing-t is the best thing to run in high school only.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that playing a split 4 can effectively stop the wing-t offense. I mean a split 4 not a base 4-4. Put your DT's in 3 techniques and DE's in 7 techniques. Your two inside linebackers should be A -gap players, and your outside linebackers should play four yards deep and four yards outside the DE's. You have effectively taken away the traps and the sweeps, which are the bread and butter of most wing-t offenses.

don't get me wrong--the defensive techniques mentioned are excellent. however, there are teams that are so good--you can know exactly what they are going to do and how they are going to do it and you still can't stop them. for example, get your hands on a tape of the knox halls team of 86 and watch how they easily whip every team they play in the play-offs--they only run 2-3 different offensive plays the entire game (mainly, jason julian off tackle) and couldn't be stopped. only germantown was able to give them a good showing. the key is personnel, period. moving on, who do you think is the best teacher of the wing-t in east tn, middle tn, and west tn. as for me, in east tenn it would have to be meadows of jeff.co. oh, if you have speed galore, the wing-t is an excellent offense for busting 2 or 3 long td runs, regardless of the competition

[Edited by JPATS5 on 2-25-03 8:05P]

The Wing-T is a lot harder to stop then just your linebackers reading the guards, unless you have Derrick Brooks and Zack Thomas on your team. Try a 3-3 or some people call it a 3-5. And to the people that think Wing-T is garbage and outdated, what justification do you have for that? The Wing-T has been around in the Midstate for many years now and a lot of teams are have been successful in stopping it. It comes down to who ever executes better. The defensive has to be very discipline. A lot of teams in Georgia are going to the Wing-T. Roger Holmes, formally at Beech High School ran the Wing-T last year and went 14-1.

Offenses come and go just like Defenses and Athletes. The WING has been here a long time. I truly think it is one of the best systems a team can use. Is it the only offense? NO. Has it been here as long as any other? YES. A lot of the plays run in other offenses came from the WING. The WING will give you a chance with average Athletes. Lots of people will give a quick way to stop it. If it is coached correctly, it is a well prepared offense that can only be stopped by a well prepared defense(or just plain better athletic ability).

• 3 weeks later...

Secondary play versus pass wing formation

SS: TE man to man, 5 yards off, 1 yard outside

FS: any back out weak side(line up weak side)

In our defense we distinguish a cover corner and a run corner.

Cover corner takes the "X"(only wide out/no help)

Run corner: man to man on wing back

Versus run, each position player has his reads/keys:

For example: if the TE and wing both pull away; then the SS and the run corner knows it's counter criss-cross coming back to them.

Check out "Attacking the Wing-T"by Kenny Ratledge(Sevier County D.Coordinator.-gives a position by position breakdown.