Overabundance of Ankle Braces

Guest hsbball55

Guest hsbball55

Do all of you think too many kids are relying on ankle braces/taping? I know the whole "ounce of prevention" cliche. However, don't you think kids' own ankle strength is compromised when they rely on ankle braces? Just curious about the trends. Saw a team the other night where every single player was wearing two. Got me to thinking. :confused:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Research has shown that ankle braces do not have an effect on the strength of a person's ankle. (i.e. - they do not make the ankle weaker as thought for so many years.)

I believe that this may be the latest trend for coaches, just as high top shoes, short shorts, long socks, etc. Two months from now there may be research that finds that ankle braces cause hip problems, so let's see what is going on then.

I have an extrememly weak ankle. I have tried every strengthening technique in the book, but everytime I try and play without it taped, I roll it. Braces aren't even strong enough for me. I have tried six different ones, and the only thing that works for me is tape. I don't think that it is a thing as becoming reliant on it, but more of a prevention thing. If you are a good player with weak ankles, if you hurt your ankle, it could put you out for weeks. So it is only safe for a lot of players to wear braces or tape. I don't believe that it does them any harm.

well i hurt my ankle in the TMSSAA Small school district Regional Championship against Harriman. Well make a long story short I couldnt play against Wartburg in the 1st round of the Sectionals and we lost. (thats why midway didnt go to state championship agaginst harriman) Well my freshmen season this year it would hurt the first of the year but for the last few months it is great and i am 100%

I did play in the wartburg game even though i shouldnt have but thats another story. That was the only time i wore a brace.

After that i have never worn any brace. Just old fashioned live with it.

Besides if u where a brace jsut for protection your ankle after a while will depend on that brace

[Edited by MidwayGWave32 on 2-6-03 4:08P]

[Edited by MidwayGWave32 on 2-6-03 4:12P]

I know from experience, that when i sprained my ankle, the aso ankle brace was great. But after it healed i still wore it. I was scared that i might do it again. but it just ended up hurting my ankle to wear it, when i though it was my sprain. but one day i left it at home, so i played without it. It felt great, so i figured that it was the brace that was still hurting me, not my ankle. So i'm braceless now