Perhaps some rural publics will now understand...

RealGoEagles

Last night a Pearl-Cohn student brought a gun into their basketball game with Hillsboro. The gun went off, hitting the student carrying it in the thigh. Thankfully, no one else was injured.

This is just one of a variety of reasons that people in the larger Metro areas choose to send their children to private schools.

Now that's not to say that you should fear a gunshot wound at a Metro basketball game, but this brings up the possibility and it is an environment that many parents with the means to, chose to avoid.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree here with GoRealEagles. BA kicked out a kid two years ago for bringing a gun to school and misusing it in class. From what I read, he was going to make a presentation (speech)on the gun, but did not do the right thing. Guns can be brought to private schools as well. I think all three of us that have posted went to BA so this is not a biased post.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 2-8-03 12:10A]

Of course Stan, because none of us can be as right as you are.

Teach us.

I went to public schools until eighth grade. Naked crackheads running through the halls, dead bodies found on our soccer field, not to mention down the road at J.T. Moore a kid had the back of his head blown off in math class because a classmate thought it would be cute to bring a gun to school.

Ironically enough, never problems I suffered through in high school.

But I'm wrong those things probably didn't happen right?

Tell me, what did happen when I was in the Metro school system.

P.S. can you teach me the whole omnipotence thing you seem to have mastered?

I agree Realgoeagles, I don't care how financially tight things became, I would always find a way to keep my kids away at all costs from any Metro School. There are no guarantees in the Privates but the odds of your child having a future are much greater.

If I was suddenly moved to small rural Tennessee, I would let my kids attend the public school in a heartbeat. I see posters from Collinwood, Cloudland etc on here and they have something that helps the kids a lot....support and community.

There is a definite difference between urban/rural situations. I don't blame parents in urban areas for sending kids to private school if it's in their best interest. Parents have to make that determination themselves. I just get frosted when people make sweeping generalizations of any kind and bashing public education as a whole is an example. The vast majority of public schools in rural areas are doing a great job educating kids and providing them as many opportunities to succeed as possible. There are teachers in those urban public schools which should be commended as well they just have too many outside influences to overcome sometimes.

You are right, I am in no way blaming the teachers. In fact some of the people who have the most passion for education are in Urban Metro Schools. Sadly their hands are often tied on how they approach things by a system that worries far more about political correctness rather than education.

Posted by NWhoopaholic:

There is a definite difference between urban/rural situations. I don't blame parents in urban areas for sending kids to private school if it's in their best interest. Parents have to make that determination themselves. I just get frosted when people make sweeping generalizations of any kind and bashing public education as a whole is an example. The vast majority of public schools in rural areas are doing a great job educating kids and providing them as many opportunities to succeed as possible. There are teachers in those urban public schools which should be commended as well they just have too many outside influences to overcome sometimes.

Guest cole703

The rual public schools are closer to being like the small private schools than they are to the urban public schools. Both have strong parental and community support that most urban schools lack.

Why because he speaks what he beleives. The truth of the matter is that hes right. There is a reason that so many people in urban areas send their kids to private schools. Now its different reasons for each and everyone of them, but this is just as viable as any of them.

The point is well made that rural public schools are just like private urban schools in more ways then they are urban private schools. Also money plays a huge role in the equation explain this one to me....

Williamson County has the 24th highest per capita income in the NAtion and i belevie that directly corresponds tot heir sucess on the field. Taking public and private into consideration. Brentwood Academy, Brentwood, CPA, Franklin, Centennial, and BGA i would dare to say i woudl put an allstar team together from these teams that would rival anyone in the nation.