Most memorable match

wrestlingfan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovinit. You would have loved Pez Whatley and Bill Emendorfer's 3 state finals. I don't think more than a total of 6 or 7 points were scored in all three matches. Both were, by today's standards, small heavyweights with very little body fat. Both were exceptionally talented athletes. Bill was a star lineman at UT. Pez had a football scholarship at Southern University in Louisiana. He returned and wrestled at UTC before a long career as professional wrestler.

Their 3 matches were white knuckler nail biters!

[Edited by soccerpro1 on 2-19-03 7:00P]

[Edited by soccerpro1 on 2-19-03 7:00P]

[Edited by soccerpro1 on 2-19-03 7:01P]

I thought the quarter-final match between Westside and Cleveland was as intense as any throughout the tourney. I believe the Westside kid thought he'd won the match on four different occasions. I noticed the UTC coaches were right there watching a great match; they had to be impressed with both guys.

I agree that the 215 quarters match was the most exciting of the tournament. The reason that Westside thought he'd won the match was that the official awarded two winning takedowns then changed his mind AFTER the calls were made and points were awarded. Cleveland made two offensive moves the entire match and Westside over fifteen, but the ref saw fit to award a penalty point against Westside with five seconds remaining in regulation. That point sent the match into OT. Then, Westside locked up a nearside cradle. The ref awarded two points, Westside saw this, dropped Cleveland and began to celebrate, and then the ref changed his mind saying there was never really control. Westside eventually chose down in 2OT and escaped immediately. This was one of the most impressive feats of concentration and determination I've ever seen.

Does ayone else have a comment on this match?

The 103, 119, and 275 DI finals were also awesome, as was the 145 DII and 171 DII finals.

Empro, you hit the nail right on the head! The ref (Jack Gallagher) did everything he could to keep Anthony Evans from winning the match. The offensive ratio was actually 16-2. Evans took 16 shots and got called for stalling? You've got to be kidding me. The warning for stalling was a joke and to award a point with 5 seconds left and Evans being more aggressive than Bonham, was ridiculous! Evans kept his composure and began the overtime period. He ran Bonham around the mat and nothing was done to Bonham. Evans locks up the side-cradle and the ref awards two points. Evans again gets a raw deal when the ref said he didn't have control. Why would you award two points if there was no control? Why not wait until you are absolutely sure (being that he has a cradle locked up.) And guess what? Evans had the cradle voided out and start again on his feet. At the start of double OT, Evans gets his escape for the win. What an act of composure by a high school student! Evans never complained or questioned any of the calls, he just kept wrestling hard and got what he deserved....a state championship.