Creatine

BigRed62

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a website to check out. It is the NFHS site and it is the authority for high school athletics:

http://www.nfhs.org/sportsmed/Creatine-Andro.htm

I hope this helps! About six years ago, I had a player almost die from creatine use. He was following the directions "to the letter;" however, he was using it during the week before camp started. He was running three miles a day, lifting weights, and he was in top athletic form. NO FAT, and great muscle tone. The doctor said no athlete should use this stuff while doing extreme aerobic training (i.e. running).

I am a coach and former college player. I was and still am an advocate for creatine. As said in a previous post you must consume huge amounts of water during the time you take it. This is why I do not ,however, advocate using it durng the season. I think Tennessee started doing this a few years ago; their players use it duirng the off season, but about 2 weeks before summer camps start they stop using it until after the season. There is no way that you can consume enough water during this time to stay hydrated. I researched and asked several doctors before I started using it, and they all said if you had a balanced diet you probably didn't need it. They also told me that only about 2 % of high school kids have a truely balanced diet. SO in my opinion its a great off-season supplement terrible in season .

What people never want to talk about is that researchers do not know what will happen if your body stops producing creatine naturally. People have not been taken creatine long enough for this to be researched adequately. Coaches are pumping this down kids throats because of the results it produces, without really knowing what happens over an extended period of time. If the research shows that it is not harmful in any way I am all for it, until then I will not recommend it for anyone.