Volunteer Falcons

LetsGoirish

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central 8 Volunteer 5

Ofeiro took the loss in relief.

We need to learn to close the deal. Up by one in the seventh with one out and could not get it done. Too many mental mistakes. Throws to the wrong base, getting picked off, failing to slide when we need to and not not touching home.

On one close play at home our runner had the throw beat. the problem was he did not stick out his hand to touch the plate untill he was past the plate. I know folks like to pick on my old high school coach, but he was right this time. I was hopeing he would not see the runner miss the plate, but he did.

We play Elizabethton today at Daniel Boone in the Washington County Tournament.

Look at the picture in the paper. His left hand is dragging behind and never touched the plate. His body then slid around the plate and no part of him ever touched the plate. I saw it and I was hopeful the umpire would not see it. If you are a player, I can assure you that I had a much better view of the play than you did.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 3-29-03 7:03A]

Volunteer 8 Greeneville 7

Ofiero went the distance for the win.

Volunteer was up 3-2 going into the top of the seventh inning. They got the first batter out. Then all hades broke loose. Greeneville scored five runs to make the score 7-3. Then the guys made a tremendous come back and scored five runs to win the game. There was one out when the winning run scored. That means they will probably be playing Saturday. Great win guys. The only negative was at least four unearned runs. By the way the winning run was scored with Cody Baugh (their stud) pitching.

I just noticed that no one has mentioned Wed. night's game with Elizabethton that Volunteer won 8-1. Smith went the distance for the win. That makes us 2-0 in the tournament. We play Daniel Boone tomorrow (Friday) night at 6:30 at Boone's field.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 3-27-03 7:07P]

Daniel Boone got beat last night. That means Volunteer will be playing in the championship game Saturday afternoon regardless of what happens tonight. Both Elizabethton and Greeneville are 1-1 and Boone is 0-2. Either Elizabethton or Greeneville will be 2-1. The worst Volunteer can be is 2-1. The tie breaker would go to Volunteer because they have beaten both of the teams that could tie them.

I have no idea who they will be playing. No scores from the Thur. games have been reported and with on team having only played one game anything could shake down. That part of the tournament was played differently than the Boone portion. The three visiting teams are not playing all three nights. They are playing a double header one night, a single game one night, and having a night off. Crockett is playing all three nights. In the Boone portion all the teams play each night.

The Wednesday night scores where Unaka 13 South Greene 3 and David Crockett 2 Unaka 0. South Greene played Crockett and Morristown West last night. Morristown West plays Crockett and Unaka tonight.