Can Cloudland or Unaka win the region

ULfan

UP at most 23 and LOSE! Whats up! Why do you put your thrid group of kids in, in the regionals. I have tons of respect for Smith and his coaching staff but that was a wrong move. But who would figure that Washburn would come back. I must Congrats WASHBURN on the big win and good luck the rest of the way. And I am still expecting to see great games to come in this tourny. The other coaches keep this in mind " Anything can happen in basketball in the month of March, MARCH MADNESS"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats some shocking news! I didn't attend the game, but now I wish that I had of to see what went wrong. But, thats tournament basketball for you...look over anybody and they will be the team to beat you. I would like to say congratulations on a good season for the seniors, Josh and Cole you both set a few more milestones on the way to rebuilding Cloudland basketball, its a shame that it had to end this way.

Guest lander87

what goes around comes around. i bet coach smith knows what i am talking about. should have kept who you voted for to yourself. now we are the laughing stock of stoney creek. too many distractions so i am sure our team was not focused this has got to be a nightmare

Unaka needs to stay focused - any team can win or be beaten during tournaments, because it's a clean slate, they don't care what you have done in the past. It's ONE game at a time. The Rangers need to have a positive "We Can Win" attitude and play hard for four quarters.

GOOD LUCK RANGERS !!!!! ;);):o

Unaka is favored tonight, but don't overlook Jellico. The team was under .500 for the year, but they have some real athletes. Senior forward Kevin Swafford (who averages around 24 ppg) dropped 41 points on Forge Ridge in the district tournament. He's a threat inside and outside as well as an outstanding football player (WR, over 1,000 yards last year). Jellico also has the streaky William Kellogg. He's good for either 4 points or 25 points, their really is no middle ground. :D

Rolltideroll, I know that you usually know what's going on up in the hills. What was the deal at Milligan last night? I have been hearing all kinds of stuff! Why was Tolley not involved with the offense and the paper said nothing about Byrd. I heard that Cloudland did not have a 2 pt. field goal until late in the game, all 3's! I hate it for the boys. They really are some great kids on that team that have done a lot to bring basketball back in Roan Mtn. It's been a while since we have spoke, let me know what you think. How do you think the girls will do on down the road? Who is the big obstacle in the road to Murfressboro? Congratulations to all the players at Cloudland on a fine year, I hate to see it end for you this way. Keep your heads up an work hard for next season. Unfortunately, next season for the Landers begins now. There is no off season in this sport!

cloudland was a team this yr. that on any given night beat anyone or on the other hand lose to anyone. Its all about intensity. '''they are getting there but the confidence is just not there yet in basketball...Football yes, not basketball..UNAKA AS A CLOUDLAND FAN FIRST, A CARTER COUNTY FAN SECOND I WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD AND SUPPORT YOU ALL THE WAY. I KNOW YOU HAVE THE INTENSITY,AND THAT YOU CAN COMPETE WITH DIVISION2. SO MAKE US PROUD IN CARTER COUNTY. COULD POSSIBLY BE UNAKA AND UNIVERSITY HIGH IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP...

Like rolltide, I wish I could've attended the Cloudland game last night; then I could be a bit more informed as to exactly what went wrong. I began a thread: "MVP Manning/ Woodson; Chambers/Bradley...Beam Me UP Scottie." At that time I was unsure as to who voted for whom. The Thread was in no way intended to incriminate Coach Smith, because, again, I didn't know who he, or the other coaches voted for. Further, I for one, hoped that the Highlanders would reach the State tournament, just as I still hope the Lady Landers do the same.

I would hope that the many Rangers fans that spend time on coacht would see this shocking upset simply as what it was... a SHOCKIN UPSET. Supposedly Cloudland might have lost their inside game, and didn't enact the necessary killer instinct, so essential in tournament play. But that's a mere second-guess, of which no doubt there'll be plenty.

But Cloudland - boys and girls - has so very much to be proud of, not just this season, but for their many recent accomplishments, and in all sports. Remember the Landers beat the Dugger/Cole/Collins led basketball team last year. They, with that late-inning Mark Byrd Grand Slam, also defeated the mighty Rangers baseball team. Not only this, but their girls basketball team is still in contention, and a definate threat to reach the Sub State.

Add this: Several of those basketball guys return next year, with the recently acquired realization that they're an even match to the area's best teams.

No one should be so quick to play taps for the Roan Mountain Community. And lest we forget, Cloudland still has the region's premier football program.

Yes, it must've been a devastating loss, as any loss by any team, boys or girls, is this time of year. But I'm sure there must be some reason for the defeat, other than who voted for what player in the MVP race.

The loss, from this perspective, was a loss for all of Carter County; and most of us from the Creek were dreaming of another Carter County Finale. Our fear was that the Rangers would be the team to exit first, robbing us of the dream game. Well, Unaka still faces incredible odds, and it would be a monumental accomplishment if we reach the finals; but unfortunately, we now know that anything can, and often does happen during March.