Discus and Shot Put

ky6

Guest 2fast

Opelika High School has Tez Doolittle throwing 55'9"(second shot put in state),153' in discus. Chartavis Griffin throwing 46 feet shot put.Andrew Rowell is throwing 120 in discus and 159'10" in Javelin(best in state)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things:

1) Mr. Morelan, the girl's shot record is actually 47'1", not 41'1".

2) 2fast, the TSSAA does not sanction the javelin. The only time that Tennessee athletes are allowed to compete in the javelin is during the summer (AAU etc.). Regardless, there are other athletes in Tennessee that throw farther then 159' in the javelin.

Also, I have never heard of Opelika High School, where is it located?

Mr. Morelan,

If you are refering to discs with a high spin rate (due to increased rim weight) then it really all depends. In my knowledge, throwers who are beginners or are novices and are still rough in technique should throw low spin discs, while the higher spin discs are made for the more advanced throwers. If you are looking into buying a new disc for your son who you say is throwing in the 130 ft range, then a low spin disc will still be fine, but I'm sure that a higher spin disc would not hinder his throwing, and could possibly help.

If anyone else has opinions, please share because I am in no way an expert when it comes to throwing implements. I hope that helps.