CHAKRA

pujo

I think it comes from the desire of these schools to excel in sports ,hire great coaches,spend alot of money to upgrade athelecics. The word gets out and the kids come.Once they get to a certain level,the kids come in higher numbers. Its a natural draw. For example ,lighthouse,they probably have a great enviroment and offer a good education,but the better atheletes drive right past Lighthouse on their way to a school with a much better atheletic program.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pujo, everyone wants whats best for their children, that's human nature. When I enrolled my son and daughter into CPA in 1986, CPA did not even have any athletic program on the TSSAA level. Yes, they played basketball, but that was it. In 2000, two years after my son graduated, CPA won the state in football. Of the senior class that played football that year, only one senior had transfered in and he did not even start. The remaining group started at CPA in Kindergarden, again before CPA even had a football program(football started in 1993). Their parents chose the school based up their/its' beliefs. Why where they successful? I believe it was from hard work and motivation. We did not even have a home football field until their senior year. We played at a local public Jr High School field. Today, it is difficult to get into CPA, not because we are picky or only look for athletes, but we are limited by our size. Many schools, including Lighthouse, can only take so many students as they are limited by their physical(building) size. Again, I can only speak to CPA's situation, cause I was there. What goes on in other schools, I can only guess. That's when it gets dangerous, me guessing!

I dont think anyone would deny that having a good athletic/academic program helpd draw students to the school. The problem we run into is the grey area that everyone speaks of. Admission Procedures of some schools such as BA have to be called into question because of the types of athletes they draw. Brentwood Academy is an exception not a rule when it comes to who gets into schools and who does not. The smaller division 1 privates have grown and proably outgrown the 1A division but i dont see how kicking them out of the whole thing is the answer. The reason for division 2 was based on financial aid availability not if your program had matured to apoint where they defeated the people that used to kick their butts.

I beleive SOME of the division 1 privates have out grown 1A sports but not all of them(Ezell Men Basketball 7-22). I think they have outgrown 1A but not not Division 1 and one of the main problems i see is that this time of political correctness has gone to far. Everyone wants things to be their way and dont care what it takes to get what they want.

Im sorry if this offends anyone but i see the public schools as that child in a supermarket that throws a tantrum when they dont get what they want. You stand there and you want to go over to their parents and say STEP BACK and proceded to whoop the tar out of that kid.(DREAM OF COARSE)

Everyone says the system is to blame but until privates where any good their wasnt a probelm so it all comes down to wins and losse. Lastly i made a post about this before but dont you people see that 7 of the 8 state champions had open zones everyone except Brentwood and i wouldnt beleive with their professional resources that all their kids live in their limits. Your cutting off you noise to spite your face if you ask me. I know Pujo only cares about 1a football but their is a much larger picture here that does affect 3 4 and 5A and should be taken into consideratino when they seperate the schools.

ANyone with open zones magnets and privates make up one division and public school with fixed zones make up the rest.

Posted by robjim:

Pujo, everyone wants whats best for their children, that's human nature. When I enrolled my son and daughter into CPA in 1986, CPA did not even have any athletic program on the TSSAA level. Yes, they played basketball, but that was it. In 2000, two years after my son graduated, CPA won the state in football. Of the senior class that played football that year, only one senior had transfered in and he did not even start. The remaining group started at CPA in Kindergarden, again before CPA even had a football program(football started in 1993). Their parents chose the school based up their/its' beliefs. Why where they successful? I believe it was from hard work and motivation. We did not even have a home football field until their senior year. We played at a local public Jr High School field. Today, it is difficult to get into CPA, not because we are picky or only look for athletes, but we are limited by our size. Many schools, including Lighthouse, can only take so many students as they are limited by their physical(building) size. Again, I can only speak to CPA's situation, cause I was there. What goes on in other schools, I can only guess. That's when it gets dangerous, me guessing!

Dang it robjim! You squeezed another good mark out of me. That was a great post. It probably had something to do with the fact you are a PLUS member. Only someone from "the other side" could come up with such a brilliant commentary.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 3-18-03 8:20P]

Posted by pujo:

I think it comes from the desire of these schools to excel in sports ,hire great coaches,spend alot of money to upgrade athelecics. The word gets out and the kids come.Once they get to a certain level,the kids come in higher numbers. Its a natural draw. For example ,lighthouse,they probably have a great enviroment and offer a good education,but the better atheletes drive right past Lighthouse on their way to a school with a much better atheletic program.

Boy have you come full circle pujo. Many moons ago I suggested that maybe some of these private schools just have better coaches and I was slammed from Lake County to Sullivan County. Now here you come along and say "they hire great coaches". You see how nebulous this whole argument is? Do you not remember my saying..."maybe they are getting outcoached"?

I`ll say this like I said a long time ago. OHA/USJ never had squat for a football team until Mickey Marley became coach.

I never said a word about anyone getting out coached.I,ve never once said that the better private coaches were not good. Several public schools have great coaches,But the difference is the amount of talent. All I said was when these private schools hired good coaches,the talent would come. Any 1a team with several college prospects can win with a average coach. Its very hard for an average team to win the state even with a great coach.

I come back to my question posted early in this thread. I personally know of tWo very questionable situations where public schools were accused of recruiting; Eric Locke moving from Cookeville to Riverdale and Abbi Ramsey moving from Grundy Co. to Shelbyville. I also personally know the circumstances of those situations and can accuse Riverdale and Shelbyville of recruiting. (They may not have broken any TSSAA rules but if it LOOKS, walks and talks like a duck....).

With all the accusations against private schools, CAN ONE PUBLIC SCHOOL SUPPORTER NAME ONE SIMILIAR SITUATION WHERE PRIVATE SCHOOLS APPEARED TO HAVE RECRUITED? We are just looking for one specific example here folks.

Does it not seem strange that the TSSAA has built its entire set of rules and structure around the principle of preventing private schools from recruiting and no one can name one single example? We are about to split the entire h/s football program, preventing Boyd from competing with S. Pitt and CPA from competing with Collinwood "because privates recruit", and yet no one can come up with ONE SINLGE EXAMPLE"!

COME ON PUBLICS. MAKE YOUR CASE HERE! LET'S HAVE AT LEAST ONE EXAMPLE! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chakra, FYI, everyone who was on the football team at Brentwood lives in the Brentwood High School Zone. There were and are no special transfers or out-of-zone players on the roster this year or projected for next year. And the professional coach(es)you speak of amounted to one, Les Steckel, who lives in zone with his wife and son Luke, has left his position to be the running backs coach for the Bills. He volunteered as a coach for the last two years, working with the QB's and assisting with the offense two years ago, and offensive co-ordinator this past year.

Gatorade; It surprises me that none of the posters have picked up on the use of "athletic scholarship". No such thing exists in TN high school sports. The DII schools can give "need based aid", not athletic scholarships. It is certainly easy to understand why this is misunderstood by many, since some like to fan the flames by misusing and misapplying the term "athletic scholarship".