Private Schools shut out of girls' basketball crow

Here are the facts. Public schools won three of four girls' state championships this past week. Harpeth Hall won the D-II championships in which public schools do not compete.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. These things go in cycles. Overreacting to any cycle does not alleviate any possible problems or inequities.

Let's let the kids play and act like adults.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many private schools are in AA and AAA in basketball? Isn't it one, Lipscomb? It's not just about titles, it's about playoff and region wins and losses, regular season games too. And basketball is just one sport, look at the "big picture" in Class A/1A and in 2A in football (where 2 private schools are cornering the market on state titles). How many softball titles have been won by private school teams in A the last 15 years?

We will have to look at the amount of titles, sports, etc.

You have to look at football, basketball, girls soccer, volleyball, etc.

No one cries or says anything even though Germantown has gone to the state title like 18 times in a row! An outstanding accomplishment, something any program would be proud of. Now if this was a private school, teams would say GHS was recruiting. GHS probably gets a lot of girls to come to their school to play volleyball, their sport recruits itself.

to quote gomer pyle:

"sur-prize, sur-prize, sur-prize", no private champions in girls basketball. for one thing, tennessee's rural schools do nothing better than they do girls basketball. we (and i include all tennessee) have been serious about our girls basketball for a long time. until recently, we were a dominant power nationally, and we still produce girls teams that can play with anyone. it is something we should all be proud of.

plus, basketball seems to lend itself to underdog success (at least until some idiot gets the shot clock). can anyone say chaminade?? (does anyone remember chaminade?) basketball (sans the shot clock) is a game that rewards fundamentals, discipline, and hard work. the rural publics can still compete in the small classes because memphis isnt in them, and as yet no private has decided to field a team of all sec prospects. maybe they cant?

as for the boys, the memphis schools have a set-up so much sweeter than the privates that it makes my head spin. (as an aside about girls, i would be curious to know how melrose obtained the hamilton team. did they merely purchase the franchise, or did the hire away the coach and pick up the players in free agency??) at any rate, having boys teams from the likes of sparta or lebanon playing in the same class with memphis city all-star teams is a joke.

i have said it before, and i will say it again, until i become as tiresome as t-gen, our classification system is broke, and it is the shame of the tssaa that they have still taken no steps to address it. a public private split would correct SOME inequities. it would create others. and it would not bring about the sort of changes we need.

Yes Girls basketball in general has to have more publics than private.(in dI) I think that their is only one private in 2a and none in the 3a classes.So that means that 15 of the 24 spots must go to publics.Plus I also know that in region 5a, all there is mainly is privates, and in a few regions/ substates, this is just off my assumption, that there is no way a private can get in the state(because there are none) So you can talk about all this stuff, but look at the facts.But I have to admit that that was a very good try. The boys are in the same boat. Oh yes and about your comments of big schools recuiting, they probably do but you know what they all do.But the small rurals, who have to play the privates, don't have the chances because of distance of travel for a kid .

..." It's not just about titles, it's about playoff and region wins and losses, regular season games too."

Heck it`s just about any game. We public schools should just admit we don`t like losing to those snobby nosed private guys in any sport, in any game! That`s why we didn`t propose a system in which we feel it would be fairer and still compete against them. We just decided to say screw em. We don`t care if public schools win with open zones. We just know it unfair when you guys do it.We just don`t like your type. Who cares if it may come across as a little bigoted that we don`t want to play against you guys. We aren`t the least bit interested in all Tennessee high schools competing together. We don`t even care if we lose as long as it`s not to a private school. You private guys think you`re too good to go to a public school and therefore you must think you are better than us and well....we just don`t want to lose to you guys anymore. Some of you 1A privates in recent years have really developed good sports programs. And well....we don`t like it. It`s not like it use to be. You guys are making us look bad.

Even the word..."private". What`s up with that!? What are you guys doing that is so private? Something you don`t want us "less fortunates" to know about? That`s another reason we don`t want to play with you. You`re like some Country Club that we can`t get in and don`t know what goes on there. We highly suspect you guys are cheating. heck, how else can you be so good. And well...we are just tired of it.

And you private guys have so much money. What more do you want??? You want to win state championships too? Geez...if we ain`t got football, we ain`t got nothing. And well....we`re just tired of it! If we had your money we could win too. We know money is what makes kids good athletes and you have more than us and it is unfair and well...we`re just tired of it. I know this kid from the next County over he is 6'0" 200 pounds, but if he had your money he`d be 6'5" and weigh 270 pounds and he`d be all-state. But he hasn`t got your money and well...he is tired of it too.

And we have seen some of your locker rooms too. It seem your lockers are nicer and that`s unfair too. If we had your lockers we might could compete. We are tired of our crappy locker room and don`t want to compete against someone who thinks they are better just because they have better lockers.

And another thing we public schools don`t like is that you guys seem so motivated. Heck I can remember when we could go out and win state championships. I can still remember the butt-whippings we use to give you private schools.But then you privates had to go out and spoil things. You went out and some of you private schools got better. Now I`m not blaming all you private schools cause some of you guys have stayed in your place, but there are a few of those private schools that went too far on this motivation thing. They went and got crazy on working out and training hard and improve themselves to a point that well...we just don`t like it. Now we are left to motivate our kids to get better or just try to get rid of you privates. Well we figured the easiest thing to do would be to get rid of you guys. We`ll see how you guys like playing against tougher competition. You`ll have to go out and try harder while we can stay here and keep the status quo and well....we like that.

VG

Tongue in cheek :D

Yes I admit that were tired of losing to snobby old privates. But here is the point that i am trying to make and I'll say it again and again..Private schools are mostly in big areas with many kids, rural (1a/2a publics) are in areas with not many kids. The privates work really hard, but you must also remember that they have at least twice the number of coaches than those that they are playing. Oh yes and what about those opened zones? Well if the house is an extra 40 miles to the school than how many parents do you think would let there kid travel that? So then you go and say well you know those big schools are close enough to each other to recruit, but if i'm not mistaken how many big schools are there in the privates classes? That is my point and i'm sticking with it. It is different and should be separated and that is why!