Top players in state tournament

eyeonu

I haven't seen every game, so if I leave a few 'obvious' choices out, forgive me. But here are the top players I've seen at this week's state tournament.

My starting lineup would be:

G Dane Bradshaw, White Station ('Whatever it takes' describes this kid to a T. He's always in the right place, not because he's lucky but because he put himself in the right position all the time. He's a great shooter, a great ballhandler, a great rebounder for his size, has great instincts, etc. He's just a winner...should be the winner of the Class AAA Mr. Basketball in my opinion.)

G Andy Wicke, Hendersonville (Did he ever put on a show Thursday? He held Wadale Williams to 5-of-16 shooting while lighting it up himself. He made seven threes, which kept going in from further and further out as the game wore on. He's great off the dribble and great at using screens to get open as well. Great passer too. He made himself a household name with his performance Thursday).

F Corey Brewer, Portland (He left the fans ooing and aahing with his spectacular performance this week. He shot it unbelievably well and showed his tremendous athleticism time and time again. This kid has a lot of upside. He will go major Divison I).

F Jake Skogen, Temple (He has worked his butt off to get to the level he is currently playing at. He and Ryan Wadley have carried Temple to this point. He can play out on the floor or inside. He's a great shooter and developed himself into a great creater too. He's another one of those 'whatever it takes' kids.)

C John Ferguson, Portland (He's not one of the top five performers this week, but I need a true post player to round out this all-star squad. And he's the best one in Murfreesboro this week. He is a hard worker with great fundamental skills. If he was 6-10, he'd be playing major Divison I basketball next year. He works hard in the post, has a variety of post moves and is a very heady player out on the court. He's going to be a steal for some smaller school.)

My bench would consist of:

G Kellen Pickel, Bradley Central (belongs on SportsCenter's Top 10 this week)

G Justin Hare, Bradley Central (consistently great)

G Yual Banks, Ridgeway (Ridgeway probably has 10-12 kids that could start for most teams, but he's the one that has stood out this week. Great ballhandler, great off dribble, good shooter, oh and quick)

G Sir Lee Mason, Howard (could he be any quicker - a deadly offensive weapon)

F Shawne Williams, Hamilton (great talent, needs to be more disciplined)

F Rodney Henderson, Howard (a trash man, unheralded, hard worker, a blue collar guy you gotta love)

Other notables:

G Ryan Wadley, Temple (quick, polished, great shooter)

F Jonathan Ford, Trousdale County (great when he takes good shots, great athlete, still a little raw)

G/F Mark McGaha, Cosby (overachiever!, hard worker)

C Brandon Bradley, USJC (good Class A post player, don't know how he'd fit in at next level, still looks like he has a lot of improvement he could make)

G Ricky Harper, Howard (not as flashy, nor as quck, as Mason but very consistent, good mid-range shooter, good decision-maker)

G Dustin Richmond, Hamilton (quick, good shooter, good off dribble, anticipates well, seems to bring some stability to an unstable team)

G Wadale Williams, Columbia (was very down on him after watching him against Hendersonville, but he showed up today. good shooter, quick, strong, I'd need to see him more to say he's desering of a Mr. Basketball Finalist)

F Tyler Smith, Giles County (I really thought I was going to get to see a show based on all I had heard about this kid. I see the raw talent and the huge upside. But he wasn't anywhere near as dominating or impressive as I expected him to be at this level. He is just a sophomore though. But he's really been talked up this year).

G Caleb Skogen, Temple (in two years, he's going to be a great player. phenomenal ballhandler, quick, great instincts, little out of control at times, if he grow he may go Division I with the way he handles, major upside)

G Zac Walker, Columbia (very poised as a sophomore, was impressed with him, quick, good shooter, could develop into a great player with hard work)

Share your thoughts please.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list.

I disagree about how Dane Bradshaw should be MR.Basketball. White Station would win the state championship without Dane.I am not knocking Dane but that is the truth.

Wadale Williams is a heck of a player also.

Lee Humphrey is better than both those guys. Maryville was 60-8 the last two seasons. Without Lee Maryville would be barely above 500.Teams play Dane straight up. Hardly anyone plays Lee straight up.

I can't be as kind. I was not impressed at all with what I saw in Dane Bradshaw! I hate to knock these guys but Buzz "what are you thinking"? I can see this guy being @ best a practice player at Tennessee! Myself and some friends were all commenting along these lines upon leaving the other night and some White Station fans overheard us and started laughing and agreeing with us! They said there was no way the guy plays in the SEC! I don't get it!!!!!

Tyler Smith and Howard who play for giles county were without a doubt the most powerful two-some in the State Tourney.Smith has played well all year and has clearly dominated everyone who tried to step-up to him.Howard who is not even on the All-State team(which i think was an awful dicision not to include him on the team)clearly showed his true colors in the State Tourney dominated and helped to lead his team to their 1st State Championship ever!!!T-Smith and Howard are awesome!!!

eyeonu. I wanted you to know that you are not alone in believing that this kid is something special. I wanted to see this kid to see why some thought this kid was the best in the state and others could not even rank him in their top 10. I understand that he is not your prototype guard. He is certainly not as smooth as a Brewer, Smith or Haire.But this kid has a clear ability to get the pass to the right person at the right time and has an unbelieveable basketball IQ. I came away convinced that many of the naysayers about this kid have alterior motives. I think some are just hoping he is a flop so as to continue an anti UT men's basketball drivel. I hope not, since it was an apparent lack of bias an great coverage of Tennessee HS sports that drew me to this site sometime ago.