Division I- Division II Split

babybearmom

Has anyone bothered to ask some of the wrestlers (both D1 & d2) their opinion on this issue or are they just dumb kids and the adults know what is best for them? The sad thing is the wrestlers just want to compete on the mat. The adults (most of which have never wrestled) want to give alot of lip service but do very little to make Tennesee wrestling better because they are in a turf war with another school or schools!!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tnmat, it's not the TSSAA that's keeping the two divisions apart. Mr. Carter is on record saying that wrestling is the one sport that could be, and he would like to see, united. It's the coaches and principals, mainly DI. It's nice that you are still so involved however. Keep it up and maybe you can facilitate some change.

This topic is so funny. Many get on here and state lies and or are just misinformed. I feel certain that no policy will be made or changed by this forum. So instead of DI and DII fans going back and forth on this issue, which in my opinion just divides us even more, they should contact their school administration and coaches to get the answers they're looking for. Then they should possibly contact the TSSAA or their TSSAA representatives to get their thoughts on this issue. Just a thought.

Sly, what lies are you referring to? On my part, I personally talked with Mr. Carter. He stated, on more than one occasion, that wrestling was the one sport that, if the coaches came and said they wanted to unite, he though that it would pass (is that a run on sentence or what). The problem, according to the TSSAA head, is that the coaches and administators cannot agree on uniting. Personally, I feel it's DI's fault wrestling is not together. Don't care about the other sports.

No, the choice was the DII schools....to give financial aid or not too. The schools that are currently in the DII class voted to split and give aid. Thats also the reason some private schools are DI because they decided not to give financial aid. So if the DII schools want to be in DI maybe they should do away with financial aid.

But sly, you do receive financial aid. Every student that goes to public school receives aid from tax payers dollars. My dollars, that fund your school, pays for your education. And not only do I help pay your tuition, I also pay my daughters tuition at her private school. I send her to a private school because the public schools in the area in which I live are unacceptable. Now, I have come to accept the split. It is the way it is and it is not going to change. But once again, the Public School belief is that all the athletes are on financial aid. That is incorrect. The vast majority of the students pay their way. There was no one on our team last year that received aid. There are students who are on financial aid, the aid is based on need. A financial aid form is sent to Princeton, New Jersey and they tell the school how much aid the student qualifies for, if any. Period. Just like college. And it doesn't matter with the student plays sports or not. It is a non-issue. We do not give scholarships. Just aid, if they qualify. If someone wants to go to school here, we do not turn them away because they cannot afford it. That is our schools philosophy and we have been here for over 125 years. I cannot speak for the other DII schools. We will also continue to wrestle anyone and everyone. The best competition that we can find, regardless of division, just like we have done in the past.

Chris Lewis

CBHS

Sly, you still haven't given a real solution to the split. As you and many others know, some schools have to offer financial aid to their students because of the religious institutions they are. The boards decision gave those schools no choice. They were thrown out. I was wondering how much tuition Bradley charges for their students. Do they offer FREE books to their students? Do they offer FREE or REDUCED lunch programs? Do they offer any of these things to there students? Just wondering? What is the difference in this financial assistance and the ones the private schools use? Seems like a fair question me. When a family is in need of financial help you offer it because IT IS NEEDED. Thus we have NEED BASED FINANCIAL AID.

Papabear3, I appreciate your effort but that is the same old story....and please don't wear out the checks and balances blurb for finanical aid....you know and I know there are ways around financial aid restrictions. So unless there is a new or better agrugement I still don't see a change for the split and this web site won't change the minds of the powers that be. Since you are with CBHS then maybe if you want to be part of DI you can get the administration at your school to do away with the financial aid that is given and become part of DI or they could file with the county government to become a public school and then you to can recieve all those tax dollars too. Of course then you couldn't pick and choose which students attend your school and if there are zoning issues in your area you would have to comply with them as well. Good luck.

takedown42, the real reason is case you've forgotten was there were rules(quota) in place at one time when we all competed together but some private schools broken them and then they challenged them. In the end the private schools didn't want a quota rule so they were given a choice....to give financial aid or not to. Each school was given a choice. Again schools like McCallie, Baylor, MBA, and others decided to give financial aid and be part of DII. Schools like Boyd Buchanan, Temple and others decided NOT to give and they are part of DI. All the private schools were given the opportunity to stay in DI. But I think you already knew that. Oh yeah, we do have reduced lunch programs stop by some time and I'll buy you lunch. My treat.

[Edited by sly on 4-15-03 1:36P]

Well, sly, you are correct. I could go in to the administration and try to get them to drop financial aid and walk away from a 250 year LaSallian (Christian Brothers) philosophy on education that no one be denied a Catholic education. But, even if i was successful, the DI schools overwhelming voted to remove all private school from DI, regardless of financial aid. So it would only help for a year. I was just trying to present the facts and was hoping that not everyone was so jaded. As for the "Of course then you couldn't pick and choose which students attend your school and if there are zoning issues in your area you would have to comply with them as well." Well, we could just offer a class that no one else in our county offers to make sure that we continue to get the "best athletes."