Division I- Division II Split

babybearmom

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

papabear3:

Thank you for putting my thoughts and feelings into words and for getting to the heart of the matter. The only exception to your post is about the public schools. We have fine public schools in our area.

The only reason my kid wanted to go to a private high school was because all his friends were going there - it was that simple. And - no - he gets no financial aid, and - no - he's not Catholic, so we pay the full price.

The main goal of DII schools in our area is to provide an education to their students, even if it means offering financial assistance to families to help make up the difference. It doesn't matter to the financial aid department if the kid wears a singlet or a tutu.

To hear some of the other posters tell it, all DII student athletes are either rolling in dough, or getting a full scholarship. Neither is true.

Papabear3, The point I really want to make is this, we(DI & DII)can go back and forth on this issue on these web sites and all we really accomplish is most of the time is hard feelings. Only the administrators and TSSAA can change these policies and I doubt many of those folks are reading any of this. So I still think if people have strong feelings about this issue then they should at least make their case to those who can do something about it. I am just a fan. Good luck to you too. Tell T.A. hey for me and good luck with baseball this year.

public schools continue to get better and better each year.Soddy-Daisy has beaten Baylor 2 years straight in wrestling,and barley lost to McCallie this year for the first time in a while(dual meet).Bradley Central has continued to display outstanding wrestling,Dual and Traditional tournaments,as usual.It is my belief that Bradley would have beaten anybody in the state this year with no problem,as Soddy-Daisy(though not easily)defeated everyone last year.So,having said that,i think we all no who has the"better athletes" right now.It is also my understanding that some private school athletes are transferring out to public schools to wrestle as well.If private schools were so good,why would kids leave?I have nothing against private schools,I'm just pointing out facts.

Didn't mean to imply that the best athletes go to private schools. It just seems that DII school are accused of recruiting the best athletes. Not always true. I can only speak for our program. If I am recruiting, I guess I am doing a crummy job. Thank goodness that state championships are not the main part of my job, or I would be long gone. Yes, Yes, Yes, Bradley Central is very good and yes you are probably right that no one would have beaten them this year. Yes, Soddy-Daisy was very good too, and Cleveland. Then, who else is at that level. Think hard.... My argument is that more competition is better, but as previously mentioned, the split is here to stay. I am just trying to explain the DII point of view. That is all. Good luck to you next year.