Division I- Division II Split

babybearmom

I heard a rumor yesterday that it was voted to become a complete split between DI and DII. I know that there has been a lot of discussions (arguements) about who is right and who is wrong. Or who is doing what. The split between the 2 divisions is as large as the Grand Canyon, but no one is able to come up with any concrete reason for all this anger. Can anyone tell me real reasons for all this hatred? I've heard all the rumors on this, now what is true?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the coaches did vote for a complete split but the TSSAA has yet to vote on that issue. If you want to know more about this topic you should go to the public/private debate message board on this site. I'm sure you'll find out more than you want to know. Good luck.

[Edited by sly on 4-10-03 2:59P]

Does anyone here think this is a good thing? I'm not sure how I feel about this whole issue, but I do know one thing, and that is that many northern states have been split for years, and don't even have close to the controversy over it like we do. They are way past that, and competitors from each division don't even think about competing against each other. It is a real shame... I'm afraid that Tennessee will end up that way.

Well, my opinion is that this is a bad idea, I think there shouldn't even be the type of split there is now. I think that the split that we have now keeps of from knowing who the real state champ is, I mean two kids get the title but of the two is the single, only state champ, as of right now we can look at past matches between the two to see who could be the possible one state champ, if they totally split it then we could never even have an idea of who is the real state champ, there would just be a lot of trash talk as to who could beat who.

Please define what you mean by a "complete split." DI and DII teams compete all the time. In dual meets and in tournaments, i.e., Bradley Invitational, Greeneville, Chattanooga Central, etc.

I know you are aware that the two Divisions hold seperate state dual championship and seperate individual state championship tournaments. Other than that, they compete together all the time, save Bradley County.

I guess I'm just curious to know why you think there's a split - or a divide between the two. I'm a Notre Dame father (Division II), and I must say that one of the most enjoyable matches we have each year is with Cleveland. This rivalry is a testament to good sportsmanship and intense competition. Believe you me, this match generates a lot of commotion twixt the two teams.

The controversy surrounding DI and DII will go on for a long time...ad nauseam. Frankly, I got my fill of this endless debate last year...I wish it would go away.

If the two divisional teams want to compete, they can schedule each other. It's that simple.

The "Complete Split' would NOT mean an end to matches or games or meets between DI and DII schools. It means that all private schools regardless of financial aid or not would be in DII and all public schools would be in DI.

In other words, Tennessee Temple, Boyd Buchanan and Chattanooga Christian would move from DI to DII.

Thank you for clearing that up...I hadn't heard about that. This subject is too complicated and confusing for me to understand. Also, I doubt the controversy surrounding this subject stems as much from the wrestling community as it does from football and basketball coaches. Whatever they arrive at is probably going to determine the final result.

I'll bet Solomon wouldn't touch this one.

I was under the impression from some things said by Mr. Carter that the TSSAA would be ok with wrestling not being split even though the other major sports would. So this has nothing to do with Football or basketball. With so few schools with wrestling programs in this state, the split hurts us. Sure some other states in the north have multiple classes, but in those places,in most cases, each class has more schools competing in it than both Tennessee divisions combined. Not to mention that the divisions are ussually based on enrolement and not public/private or scholarship/nonscholarship. Ask yourself "what can we do to improve the sport of wrestling in TN?" Let's join together and put an end to this split.

Mr. Hanson,

Your obvious bias against all those rich folks in DII is interesting but is there some reason in particular you have given your dimensions? They are real impressive on the large size. I think I saw you at the state but it could have been an eclipse.

countrypk smith

1.83 meters

81.65 kg

NCAA qualifier

mtnrasslin:

Thanks for informing me of the article you mentioned. I missed that. It saddens me to learn that the fine competition we've enjoyed over the past "is history." That is a shame.

Do you know if DI and DII schools will still be able to compete in tournaments? For example, Bradley Invitational, Central Invitational, etc?

Will this policy be enacted by other DI schools, or is it just Cleveland? As you know, there aren't enough DII schools in any city to fill a complete schedule.