<b>TSSAA PLANS</b> Here it is!

ELA

The TSSAA plan is out and a recent article in the Times Free Press touted the following plans as possible options that school administrators will vote on in the fall. The 4th option is still a mystery but my TSSAA sources suggest it MAY be a radical approach:

PLAN I: Leave the system just the way it is now.

PLAN II: Do away with Division II and use a multiplier system (1.5 for non-financial aid, and 2.0 for financial aid schools) just like the one used in Georgia.

PLAN III: A total split with three classes in each sport (including football).

PLAN IV: Unannounced in the article but believed to be an Urban, City, Town, and Rural split with all schools (public and private) included.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the multiplier plan as I think it is a disgrace that theses kids do not get the opportunity to compete with each other on the field oron the court. Perhaps with the multiplier in place, the publics/privates would play each other on a regular basis.

It seems to me that the MBAs, BAs, McCallies would not really be harmed as they would be competing agaisnt the largest public schools which is where they should be, at least in my opinion.

I have no idea what Plan 4 is.

Wouldn't a multiplier and all teams in one division just end up in championship games like Brentwood Academy vs Riverdale? Talk about going in circles. I don't see a need to drop from 5 to 3 classes in football when only around 20 private school teams would be going to Division II. Five would be just as good as it is now. You'd have some current Class 2A teams drop into Class 1A but fewer teams would be affected in the larger divisions. Is this a scare tactic by the TSSAA to influence schools to vote against a total split?

Indian, I think you've "Hit the nail on the head!" In any case, how do you think three classifications would work out? Maybe Silverpie would run the math and come up with a list for both options? I would ask Swamp but he has retired from CoachT.

Exacttly what they want to happen. They want people to be up in arms about this decision. I think we will be going with a multiplier, simply because it makes the most sense. I have said it all along that if they split the schools entirely you will have less classes no doubt. I know its beating a dead horse but here we go....

1A and 2A public schools could easily be combined because there is not much a differnce between the two. What ive stated before is also that our championships per thousands of people in the state is way out of whack in comparison with other states.6 championships is all that is needed in a state of this size. 8 freakin champions in a state the size of TN is rediculous.

IMHO, as well that plan 4 would be way to difficult to implement but if the TSSAA is made outta money then they could do it.

With the attitude the public schools have carried throughout his whole thing i would imagine 3 would be the way they would want togo, but they want to keep the same number of classes but I ask why. You are taking 20 teams out of the two divisions but they are the prolly 10-15 of the tops teams in those 2 classes. Wouldnt that just make it more watered down than it currently is?

I mean i understand this all about winning some games and so forth and i understand why Collinwood would really want this. They just had the best team they prolly had in many years and they just got beat up once they played one of the decent private schools.

I hope they choose the multiplier its the only one where everyone gets to play everyone and then people are placed in oppropriate divisions with the number of students that particiapate in sports.

Overall i dont think the extremist public supporters will back any of these proposals. UNless plan 4 comes out to be something they can actaully do.

It will be interesting to consider how the vote will go on this one.

There is probably zero possibility of the Public Schools voting for the multiplier as there is too much representation from Class 3, 4 and Class 5 Schools who don't want to see the current Div II schools back with them.

The larger schools will have no problem with just a 3 Division Group for Publics, however there will be an outcry from the smaller rural 1A's who now find they are lumped in with Trousdale, Milan etc. I doubt that the current 4A schools would be too pleased with this also. This would be the preference of 2A, 3A and 5A schools and probably get their vote.

We all know how popular it would be to leave everything alone but I think secretly that is what the TSSAA would like.

Can't comment on Plan 4, but it sure would be nice to see one.

Good assessments, OnlineLC.

If the small rural 1A schools would be against a three class, all public classification, that would beg the question, "What do they want?" I can partly sympathize with their wish not to play the small privates, but if they are not willing to play the TCs and Milans, then one has to wonder if they just want things legislated so that a state title is easy to come by for them.

As for the current 4A schools, I think many would not mind a three-class public format. Not every team is a Maryville, who would play anywhere with little gripes, but I think a fair amount of 4A schools would compete with decent to good results in a new AAA.

I personally favor a multiplier, although it will lead to the same future complaints IMO.

If it isn't a total split we will be having this same discussion in 6 years at the latest. Single and double A schools want the privates out so if you move them up to triple and quad A they will be crying foul in a few years.

The problem is the private schools want their "cake and ice cream all to themselves" aka we will get our kids away from the so-called thugs in the public schools BUT we want to compete and win the public school state championships. Can't have it both ways!!!!!!!!!!!

The Supreme Court has already ruled the TSSAA can't have a strict recruiting rule, thanks to Brentwood Academy and Carlton Flatt, so you have to separate them once and for all. Do what the masses have already said and let the privates go there way and the public schools go there way.

Ronnie Carter stated that 64% of all the state championships, not just football, in Tennessee have been won by teams in five urban counties since 1970. He also stated that the problem is an urban/rural not public/private. Someone asked the question how many state championships have been won by public schools and how many by private schools since 1970. He did not have that information. I believe this is the whole issue and I believe it would be at least 70%, if not more, when private schools actually competed against public schools during the tournaments for the state championship the private schools win. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

PLAN III SPLIT WITH THREE CLASSIFICATIONS

PUBLIC ONLY - Football:

DI-CLASS A (2005)

Oakdale

Greenfield

Copper Basin

Gleason

Coalfield

Sunbright

Red Boiling Springs

Lake County

Pickett Co