<b>TSSAA PLANS</b> Here it is!

ELA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA,

After talking with a head football coach in 4-4A in which I saw all of the plans in detail. One plan I would love to see is a 4 class, all inclusive with a multiplier plan. I have taken a liking to the region format system that has taken shape. One person should be thanked immensely on the fact that this current discussion is taking place is Ooltewah High's Ed Foster. His motion on the TSSAA Legislative Council to shelve the proposal for the total public/private split to let "cooler heads prevail" is what is allowing this to take place.

Also, did you hear about Brainerd's Robert High's proposal/question and Ronnie Carter's answer at the Chattanooga meeting? A GREAT, SCARY, but also a hilarious question.

While driving to work a couple of weeks ago, I heard a program on the radio discussing this very issue of verifying childrens addressess and school supervisors were actually going to homes to see their bedrooms and checking on guardianship etc.

This was not sports related, more a case of kids/parents trying to get into better schools.

This is the dilemma whether it comes down to athletics or academics. What parent or child would not want to manipulate the system to increase their odds of success? If you have a child who is a good athlete, you would naturally want to try and get him into a good program so he may have a better chance of being noticed to pay for a college education.

Well, the difference between athletics and academics in this argument is that a child can attend a different school for academic reasons and not have a negative impact on a student who is equally qualified. For example, a student who has attended the preferred school his entire student-life will not be demoted to algebra II from Calculus because a new tranfer came in and knocked him out of his spot in the class. The only people who are remotely impacted are the local taxpayers.

Conversely, if an athletically gifted student transfers to a school illegally so that he or she can play for a team for the sole purpose of noticed by a college, he or she knocks someone out of their position. Granted, the kid getting demoted, if not good enough to hold their position most likely wasn't in danger of being pursued by a college anyway, but they were removed from their position in an unscrupulous fashion. Therein lies the foul.

If a student attends a school with a dismal academic history, but scores a 1600 on the SAT and 36 on the ACT and has a 4.0 GPA, is he more or less likely to go to college on a full ride than a similarly gifted student from a magnet school?

There are about 100 similar analogies which can be applied to student-athletes regarding athletic prowess and the pursuit of a college scholarship.

Bottom line...talent will get noticed regardless of where you are.

The real reason parents want their kids to transfer in most cases is so they'll be with a "better" crowd, either academically or athletically. And I don't blame them for wanting the best for their children. I just don't agree that a scholarship swings in the balance.

This will be my last post on this topic. My posts have a way of being misinterpreted and degenerating into someone calling me out (so to speak) and me having to defend my honor. If I offend anyone, I apologize in advance.

Off topic...I just realized that I am a little long-winded and apparently have some kind of a fetish for commas!

• 3 weeks later...

My question is, why all the talk about just having three classifications if there is a total split,it still wouldnt be fair to 1-A schools,im sure there would be enough true 1A schools to form a division,why throw them in with the larger schools with enrollments of atleast 600 to 800 students.it still stinks for 1-A.how hard could it be to put them in equal divisions and use a multiplier to separate the privates ?im sure alot of 2 and 3A schools would disagree,but i dont think they will dominate the 2-A and 3-A schools like they do 1-A,personally i think all the private 1-A schools should be playing in 3-A and 4-A

The vote will be for the split but I don,t think the TSSAA is going to like it. It will be 4 classifacations for the public schools. It will still be tough for small schools,but much better than the sysyem we now have. Iam for a multiplier that would put the privates in 3a and keep five classifacations. They say it will be watered down,but Idon,t think the small 1a schools woud mind picking up the gold ball,as far as I know ,none of the privates turned it down, they seemed real proud of it.

youre probably right there pujo,i just hope they make it a more level playing field,you and I both know that cloudland would have been state champs the 2001 season if it had not been for a certain recruiting private school,there wasnt another public school in 1-a that could have beaten them,they had a pretty good chance last year too but same story same ending

Edited by cuda44069

We would sure have had a better chance,but Collinwoood and Bruceton would have been tough. It won,t be long before everyone will get to see who the true 1a champs is . I really believe we can win it this year if we work hard this summer ,and have no injuries.

ok, I will say this again and I will keep saying it while members of this board keep throwing around stupid comments like "recruiting private schools." This does not help the debate one bit to be throwing around the "r" word like you know it actually happens. I'm sorry, just because a school is private or open zoned does not mean they recruit or that their success is based on recruiting. You are just flat wrong to accuse the privates in this way. Envy has no place in this debate.

Why don't we talk about the real competitive disadvantages here, like a metro privates having a greater pool of kids to draw from. If you have followed this forum any, you would have discovered that there is pretty much a consensus about that. Now what to do about it is still up for debate. I think also that there would be great competition at the 1a level without the metro privates there. Just don't assume that there is cheating when a program experiences success.

Not being so nice this time.

My Question is do Private Schools and Magnet Schools have an advantage they can use to have students come to their schools that normal public schools don't? It seems like they do, and they should be separate from the Public schools who take only students in their zones and do not recruit or offer advantages that some Privates do offer.

Privates and Magnets can offer something a regular school can't. Therefore "unfair" advantage, level the playing field for everyone. Even if the single A privates schools have to play up in the AAA, AAAA, and AAAAA divisions in football. I don't believe any privates should play A in any sport.

If you don't separate the Public From the Private the privates will do whatever it takes to keep getting the best players and dominate the higher classes too.

Just what I think. G'day.

Again,

Show me 1 instance in the past five years where you know a student was "recruited" to any private school. I'm sorry, it is WRONG to assume that just because a private school is not restricted to any particular geographic zone that they automatically cheat. Sorry, I don't buy it. In fact, what is to keep any school public or private from recruiting? It's just too easy to fabricate a local address. Please, I know it is deeply held belief in this state that privates cheat to succeed, but it is flat wrong and slanderous to assume that it is fact.