<b>TSSAA PLANS</b> Here it is!

ELA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is going to complain if nothing is done, except the small D-1 private schools that are racking up state championships left and right in all sports. Small, rural schools will complain about Plan III because it could put the likes of Milan, Westview and Union City in a region with Lake County, Gleason and Greenfield. Large schools would complain about Plan II because it would put the large privates back in with them, and they'd be going through the same thing the small, rural publics are going through now with the problems such as Regions 5A and 7A. Plan IV also has merit, but the ones that would be hurting would be the smaller public (and some private) schools in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville. But the fact is, larger publics (i.e., Riverdale) are more likely to overcome the larger privates (i.e., Brentwood Academy) than the small, rural publics (i.e., Lake County, South Fulton) are to overcome the medium-sized publics (Union City, Milan, Westview) and small privates (USJ, JCS, CPA).

So, my vote is for Plan II. Basically go back to the pre-1997 system, add the multiplier, and don't significantly change the enrollment limits for classification purposes. Make some of these small privates that have dominated 1A for so long have to play some real competition. Maybe I'm a little biased because I went to and played for a very small public school and repeatedly got screwed out of trips to the State Tournament or playoff advancement by one certain small private school. Problem is, I don't have a vote and don't personally know anyone that does.

Posted by bigwes68:

Everyone is going to complain if nothing is done, except the small D-1 private schools that are racking up state championships left and right in all sports. Small, rural schools will complain about Plan III because it could put the likes of Milan, Westview and Union City in a region with Lake County, Gleason and Greenfield. Large schools would complain about Plan II because it would put the large privates back in with them, and they'd be going through the same thing the small, rural publics are going through now with the problems such as Regions 5A and 7A. Plan IV also has merit, but the ones that would be hurting would be the smaller public (and some private) schools in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville. But the fact is, larger publics (i.e., Riverdale) are more likely to overcome the larger privates (i.e., Brentwood Academy) than the small, rural publics (i.e., Lake County, South Fulton) are to overcome the medium-sized publics (Union City, Milan, Westview) and small privates (USJ, JCS, CPA).

So, my vote is for Plan II. Basically go back to the pre-1997 system, add the multiplier, and don't significantly change the enrollment limits for classification purposes. Make some of these small privates that have dominated 1A for so long have to play some real competition. Maybe I'm a little biased because I went to and played for a very small public school and repeatedly got screwed out of trips to the State Tournament or playoff advancement by one certain small private school. Problem is, I don't have a vote and don't personally know anyone that does.

Point 1 - Brentwood Academy, by enrollment, is actually a small (less than 400 coed) independent school. They voluntarily play up, and did even before the split.

Point 2 - Your statement that you "repeatedly got screwed" is illustrative of the problem. Being beaten by a better team does not mean you got screwed. It means you lost. As long as people cannot accept the fact that they lost, and have to blame it in some other factor, the system will never get fixed the right way.

Will the private schools stay in the TSSAA if they are all forced to play in a total private school division? It is my understanding that they would form their own association and keep all of the revenue within their association.

I have talked to one private school coach who informed me that he has been approached by three other schools about forming a new private school association. He told me there is not enough support within the private school leadership to form a new association immediately. Most of the DII schools actually hope that Plan III will happen so that the DII schools will increase. What he told me was that most administrators wanted to give the new plan a couple of years to see how much control the private schools have in DII and if things don't improve by 2007, then they might support a total split with the state and the formation fo their own organization. A few smaller private schools in the Memphis area may join either the Mississippi or Arkansas private school associations in 2005 or 2006, but all in all, I think MOST of the private schools will stay in the TSSAA until at least 2007. This will not prevent some schools from "exploring" other legal means including the formation of a new "Independent Charter" for future use by those schools that want to leave the TSSAA in the future. I have talked to about forty different coaches and/or principals about the new proposals and all but two of them have said they would be inclined to vote for Plan III. The two coaches who liked the Multiplier Plan were both from DI-A Private school.

[Edited by ELA on 5-1-03 11:50A]

ELA...I can certainly understand Div.II coaches wanting more teams, however, I would find it hard to believe that they would not want a system that allowed them to get back into the main mix such as a multiplier or a merit based sytem or a system like number IV.

I would like to know if the private school coach you talked to was in Div.I or Div.II and were the coaches that approached him in Div.I or Div.II. Otherwise, it is hard to understand who is talking to whom.

Why would a DII school want to play in DI with a multiplier, talk about putting kids at a disadvantage, believe it or not most DII schools are in the 100 to 600 range, so why play schools of 2000? And as for being in the mix, DII is the mix, thats were the traditional big time programs are, you beat Mcallie or BAylor, or CBHS, you have beaten a quality team. DII wants Plan III that way we are divided acording to like sizes, a luxuary we have not had the last 4 years all lumped into one with know regard to size.

DII wants Plan III that way we are divided acording to like sizes, a luxuary we have not had the last 4 years all lumped into one with know regard to size.

Well VG... there's your answer.

I talked primarily to a DI private school that likes the idea of moving to DII with three classifications. He said he is tired of the hassle of dealing with public schools. I have talked to a DII coach as well.

Fully agree ---- no DII coach of any sport, much less football, wants anything other than plan 3 is my opinion. We will see proof of that, I am sure, when all the Heads and AD's of DII meet at BGA next week to run through all of this.

Plan 3- a total split- gives , what is currently a decent division, real legitimacy in terms of numbers and competition at the A and AA level. It allows school whose missions include financial aid to be true to themselves.

It is the ONLY solution to the problem---any other plan allows too much room for doubt- mistrust- and finally, further controversy.

[Edited by BiggestElk on 5-1-03 9:16P]

Well, Plan II just moves the problem out of A to AA. Personally, I like Plan III. However, I doubt that the smaller schools feel any better about being in the same division as a school with almost 600 students. Not to mention the fact that the private schools are going to scream bloody murder at the prospect of a total split. Seems the only way the public single A schools are going to avoid getting the shaft is to break from TSSAA altogether. Now, if TSSAA is going to implement one of these plans, they should do something to curb the illegal transfer problem in the public schools. What's fair is fair. As it stands now, there are some A and AA schools who moan and groan about private school recruiting, but develop a case of selective amnesia when it regards their star transfer who "lives" with his aunt in their town instead of with his parents in his school district where the team is dismal, due to (fill in the blank). If Plan II, III,or IV is implemented then students who transfer to a neighboring school district should be made to prove his or her legal guardians have moved into said school district. So let it be written...So let it be done.

Well, Plan II just moves the problem out of A to AA. Personally, I like Plan III. However, I doubt that the smaller schools feel any better about being in the same division as a school with almost 600 students. Not to mention the fact that the private schools are going to scream bloody murder at the prospect of a total split. Seems the only way the public single A schools are going to avoid getting the shaft is to break from TSSAA altogether. Now, if TSSAA is going to implement one of these plans, they should do something to curb the illegal transfer problem in the public schools. What's fair is fair. As it stands now, there are some A and AA schools who moan and groan about private school recruiting, but develop a case of selective amnesia when it regards their star transfer who "lives" with his aunt in their town instead of with his parents in his school district where the team is dismal, due to (fill in the blank). If Plan II, III,or IV is implemented then students who transfer to a neighboring school district should be made to prove his or her legal guardians have moved into said school district. So let it be written...So let it be done.

While driving to work a couple of weeks ago, I heard a program on the radio discussing this very issue of verifying childrens addressess and school supervisors were actually going to homes to see their bedrooms and checking on guardianship etc.

This was not sports related, more a case of kids/parents trying to get into better schools.

This is the dilemma whether it comes down to athletics or academics. What parent or child would not want to manipulate the system to increase their odds of success? If you have a child who is a good athlete, you would naturally want to try and get him into a good program so he may have a better chance of being noticed to pay for a college education.