<b>TSSAA PLANS</b> Here it is!

ELA

Maybe we'll go back to districts if we go back to three classifications? One thing is for sure, we can't add games! They could start a week earlier, but my guess is they will leave the playoff brackets as they are and allow more bowl games because that is what the coaches want!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was based on 2002 numbers. We all know some teams will shift around between now and 2005... the final figures will be determined by the individual school's numbers as reported to the State Board of Education in January of 2004. What I've done is simply apply what has been proposed to 2002's numbers. Teams that are on the bubble could go up or down based on many factors. I don't have a firm bubble number, these are just averages!

ELA, I decided to add another good mark for looking at both split and non split.

Congratulations you are now at 100 Good Marks. I think coacht has a $10,000 bonus for you once you hit 100 Good Marks LOL

Anyway, lets keep this thread on topic. It appears to be gathering a calm and thoughtful response from everybody.

Posted by ELA:

BTW... It took me three hours to put this together!

Thanks! I am split between the two plans but my guess is the private schools will pull for the multiplier plan and the large schools will like the split plan! I think the debate for the split will now move from the small rural public schools to the large public schools! Riverdale and the large successful public programs will not want the Super Seven back in their regions!

Can anyone help me understand how the voting process will go. Would all schools get a vote or just the baord of control?

If all schools get a vote and have to select between these plans you would probably have the Privates and smaller rurals voting for a multiplier (ie the rurals would be free of the Urban Privates and yet not yet lumped in with the larger 2A schools with the split plan). The larger schools would probably vote against this and would probably win the majority vote.

If it is just the board of control I am not sure which way it would go since I am unsure of the makeup of the group.

Posted by ELA:

Thanks! I am split between the two plans but my guess is the private schools will pull for the multiplier plan and the large schools will like the split plan! I think the debate for the split will now move from the small rural public schools to the large public schools! Riverdale and the large successful public programs will not want the Super Seven back in their regions!

My guess is the school administrators will each have a non-binding vote at their fall meeting and the final vote will be made by one of the TSSAA boards when they meet in December. They could postpone it until March 2004, but I think we will know the exact plan by December. I would guess that the only final details that might need to be worked out down the road would be in how the playoffs system (brackets, etc.) will be worked out. There may still be many changes in the plan but this is what is being "sold" as the options they are seriously considering.

I can go with either proposal, but I prefer the two divisions with three classes in each. I think this plan will make more coaches and school administrators happy and give the state championships in both divisions more credibility.

[Edited by ELA on 4-27-03 8:21A]

Okay, I'm slowly getting more information and ideas about the mystery option (PLAN IV). Instead of having 3-6 classifications based on school population, this option creates four major classifications based on the potential "drawing or talent pool" that a school has within its geographic region (i.e. Urban, City, Town, Rural). As I understand it there would be one or more classes for schools based on their geographic pool:

1. Urban-Large City Schools (Shleby Co, Hamilton Co, Davidson Co, Knox County, etc)

2. City-Med Size City Schools (Rutherford, Williamson, Madison Co, etc.)

3. Town- Small Towns (Westview-Martin, Lexington, etc.)

4. Rural-(Monterey, Adamsville, Trousdale, Wartburg, etc.)

You can go to this web site to locate your school and its geographic description.

http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/

[Edited by ELA on 4-27-03 1:09P]

PLAN IV - POSSIBLE EXAMPLES:

URBAN SCHOOLS: Any public or private school located in Metro Areas or "Fringe" Metro Areas:

1. All Hamilton County Schools

2. All Davidson County Schools

3. All Shelby County Schools

4. All Knox County Schools

5. MBA

6. Brentwood Academy

7. Dickson Co

CITY SCHOOLS: Any public or private school located in Medium Size Cities:

1. Most Rutherford County Schools

2. Most Williamson County Schools

3. Most Madison County Schools

4. Most Wilson CO schools - Lebanon High School, Friendship Christian, etc.

5. Tennessee High School-Bristol

TOWN SCHOOLS:

1. Martin

2. Cookeville

3. Livingston

4. Morristown

5. Cocke CO H.S.

6. Milan High School

7. Columbia Academy

8. Lawrence CO H.S.

9. Marshall County H.S.

10. Greenville H.S.

11. Coffee CO High School

12. Tullahoma High School

13. Lincoln Co H.S.

14. Cumberland County High School

RURAL SCHOOLS:

1. Monterey

2. Adamsville

3. Clay CO

4. JACKSON CO

5. TROUSDALE CO

6. COLLINWOOD

8. Watertown

9. Stewart County H.S.

10. Wayne County

11. Smith County High School

12. Gordonsville High School

[Edited by ELA on 4-27-03 2:04P]

[Edited by ELA on 4-27-03 4:01P]

Let the TSSAA know which plan you like.... Please vote for ONE of the following and tell them why:

1. PLAN I - Keep things the way they are.

2. PLAN II - Double Multiplier Plan with ONE division

3. PLAN III - Total Split with three classes in each division

4. PLAN IV - Four Classifications based on Geographic Zone (Urban, City, Town, Rural).

Posted by ELA:

Let the TSSAA know which plan you like.... Please vote for ONE of the following and tell them why:

1. PLAN I - Keep things the way they are.

2. PLAN II - Double Multiplier Plan with ONE division

3. PLAN III - Total Split with three classes in each division

4. PLAN IV - Four Classifications based on Geographic Zone (Urban, City, Town, Rural).

ELA,

I don't think any of the above plans will be acceptable to every one.

Plan I - Just take a look at this debate thread, the rural single A publics are getting pounded by some of the single A privates.

Plan II - The multiplier just moves the problem to the next classification, plus you then have some weak small privates playing in AA when they had trouble playing in single A.

Plan III - The only plan I see as viable, but the privates have objected to this because it spreads their districts out too far geographically.

Plan IV - Suits me, but aren't there a lot of small weak private schools in the urban areas?

I would like to see a combination of plan IV intergrated with some of silverpie's plan of promotion/relegation.

ELA, what are your thoughts on this one?

RHSfan