should private schools be taken out of single A?

So, we're back to square one. The public schools according to some of you, win because they work harder, and have better coaching. That is how they make up for their apparent lack of atletic ability. I think right now i'm going over to don coady's house and smack him in the face and demand he do a better job next time he plays goodpasture. And to think, this whole time I thought he did a good job. Man have my eyes been open. I bet he wouldn't even hit me back he's probably so soft.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they do better cus they have a larger turnout...

I bet Lipscomb and Goodpasture have more kids on their football team than the average 2A school, and perhaps most 3A schools.

I bet Ezell, USJ, CPA, and a few other private schools have more kids, therefore the greater chance of bigger kids, stronger kids, faster kids, quicker kids, etc.

I do think the coaching at USJ, CPA, and places like that are great, I don't knwo about the 1A schools, I haven't seen them or heard enough about them.

I left this debate many moons ago because I found it useless to argue over a split when it is obvious to me a split will occur. Private supporters who favor no split need to be speaking to your private schools, because the weight of a different solution falls on your shoulders. Public schools have their solution and all the crying, name calling, boasting, badgering, badmouthing, etc, won't change the minds of public schools.

Any proposal on these boards are met with ridicule routinely, not necessarily of the plan itself, but with so called inequities that some believe will surface on the public side. I find it amusing how some insist that private schools have little or no advantages on one hand, but on the other hand speak of the inequities of open zone or magnet publics. Publics, to my knowledge, show no concern in this matter. Why should a private school supporter if your purpose is to thwart a split?

The private schools need to get their collective act together if you REALLY oppose a split. The public side has their act together.

DANDY all i can say is LOL. I seriously doubt the public schools have their act together lets go look @ the public record in the classrom, which is what schools are for in the first place right? What i see is not what i would call having your act together. If there is a split we have already said we should leave the TSSAA and form our own association. Since the TSSAA is run by publics for publics and not to mention we have no voice on either board of the TSSAA i think we all know what kinda act you got together. Its called the act of majority rules and unless im wrong that is the American way.

Its not hard when you are in the majority to say you are right and the minority is wrong. As far as your contention that private supporters are against a split you would be wrong again. I dont see a problem with a split other than it waters down already week divisions and that is why you see that the proposal from the TSSAA is to cut 3 or division in the Public divisions. They see the same thing we do, that if you take 10 of the top 20 teams in single A and the top 2 in 2A you need to drop atleast one division.

I myself dont care if there is a split more power to ya. But we will also lay claim to the number team in TN every year, because of this split.

tHANKS Smarty Pants

Edited by Chakra20

Dandy,

Maybe the reason the public supporters, like myself, bring up open zones and magnet schools is because that is the so called advantage that non D2 privates have! DUH lol. When we bring up the same argument, but the school is public, open-zoned, or magnet, we are laughed at...if you don't think it is an advantage to have an open zone, that's fine...then that means that private schools don't have an advantage...if you think it is an advantage, that is fine...do something about all the Memphis City Schools that have open enrollment, Maryville High School, Tyner, and all the other magnet schools...

This is the one debate that can't stay focused.

This is about the 1A privates and the 2 2A privates playing against overmatched rural county schools. Goodpasture and David Lipscomb are so good that they drove several teams to skip up to 3A and in one case (trousdale co.) they skipped from a new 2A school to 3A. Doesn't that somehow suggest to any of you what the problem is? Its not about DII schools, its not about open zones or magnets. Its about small rural schools getting the bejesus beat out of them by a handful of privates that are at least two classes below where they could be competitive at.

Someone also mentioned the public schools academic record... Let us cull out all of the special ed, low achievers, slackers, etc... and compare a privates enrollment to the top students in a public. You'll little difference at all. It must be nice to pick and choose your students, it really helps the test scores.

I said this on another thread I'll say it again.

I have a friend who plays DE for an SEC school...he tried going to my school but couldn't get in...Didn't pass the test, so he went to a public school and they won the state championship in football. He will play professionally some day...he's about 6'6 285 and runs a 4.7.

There is a kid who is at the Nike Camp right now, but couldn't get in to another private school...so he went to a city school. I feel no sympathy for public schools when they get kids like that...Privates don't only care about winning, and this proves it.

This is the one debate that can't stay focused.

This is about the 1A privates and the 2 2A privates playing against overmatched rural county schools.  Goodpasture and David Lipscomb are so good that they drove several teams to skip up to 3A and in one case (trousdale co.) they skipped from a new 2A school to 3A. Doesn't that somehow suggest to any of you what the problem is? Its not about DII schools, its not about open zones or magnets. Its about small rural schools getting the bejesus beat out of them by a handful of privates that are at least two classes below where they could be competitive at.

Someone also mentioned the public schools academic record... Let us cull out all of the special ed, low achievers, slackers, etc... and compare a privates enrollment to the top students in a public. You'll little difference at all. It must be nice to pick and choose your students, it really helps the test scores.

As a private supporter (of a DII school), it took me awhile to see that the crux of the debate centers in DI-A and DI-AA. I guess I was so blinded by the global, all-encompassing shots taken at private schools that I didn't stop and think to see where the biggest disparities existed.

In short, I'm all for creating a system that, at least on the surface, creates better opportunities for the "small rural school". I am not, however, for altering whatever that system is when the South Pitts and Trousdales and a select few win the lion's share of the new championships, leaving the "smaller" rural schools still out in the cold.

Also, I would agree that by culling out the "special ed, low achievers, slackers, etc." out of a good public school class that the tops in a public school compare similarly/favorably to a good private school. I have no problem with that assertion at all. However, let's also let the schools pick their football (and other athletic) teams out of that same group of elite students. If you think private school domination in football is lopsided now, you would see a whole new level of domination in such a scenario. If I had one pet peeve about the public supporters' M.O.'s in dogging the privates, it's with the way they assume that the typical private school athlete is a dumb jock. I have beaten the examples of Hunter Hillenmeyer http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=26519 and Will Bartholomew http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=39692 to death (and many other examples exist at other privates as well), but they apparently have rung hollow with many of the public supporters (just look at the responses - or lack thereof).

Edited by rollredroll

think about this private schools usually bring large crowds with them when they play. this results in more money for the school they are visiting. take boyd and east ridge for example. boyd has one 3 of the last four games thats played. now east ridge is a 4a team boyd is 1a but yet east ridge keeps scheduling us because we bring the biggest crowd they have all year. all schools are always trying to find more ways to get money right? well u take out private schools from 1a your going to lose a lot of money.

rollredroll!!!

I vehemently disagree that all private football players are dumb jocks! They are without a doubt better academically than their public counterparts. This helps create the large disparity. Give me a team of excellent students, who will bust there tail to be better, have parents who'll see to their needs, have the intelligence to digest complex schemes and make leaps of understanding about playing football. That would be the team for me. How about Maryville? Aren't they renowned for there academic excellence? Mix in a couple of great athletes and a team of focused, dedicated, and intelligent young men and you'll get there results. Hillsboro had been the more athletic of the two teams in the state title game the last two years... Maryville has been much better at executing and fighting to win the game.

Edited by beethoven