Run 'em up Rankin!

LordFrost

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i will give him credit, he has loosened off of it, but i think its b/c he doesnt have the talent to run up the score like he used to...thats part of it anyway.when say the other team couldnt stop them, probably not the 1st team. but whe ur up by like 4-5-6 touchdowns goin in to he 4th quarter, then come on, put some 2nd teamers in. he would leave the starters in until like 2 minutes left in the game. this is where he earned his nickname.

As someone who has seen every Riverdale game, home and away, but two over

the past 10 years, I can tell ya that Rankin never 'ran up the score'.

The 94 team for example. Many a game the starters played only one or two

series the entire second half. But someone alluded to 'the talent to run it up'

and yes, back before Blackman came along the 3rd or 4th or 5th string

tail back at Riverdale was a pretty good one.... Riverdale's first 22 or so

are probably as good as some of the earlier teams (with the exception of

94 and maybe 97) - but #39 or #58 may not be as good as they were

back then - Kind of like Alabama in the 70s before scholarship limits went

into affect :D

I agree with muffin's last post. There's only so much your 2nd and 3rd strings can do to stop from scoring. I was watching a game from this past season the other day, and the 3rd string was in for Franklin. Just a simple little hand off up the middle, but the defense was non-existent. Do you want the guy to fall down if he happens to break through? It was obvious he wasn't using much effort. And especially with the talent that Riverdale has had, lopsided scores are to be expected. And ya know, why not put a lot of points on the board? It can scare future opponents. I know there were several times I was hoping we'd score 60 just for the heck of it. Just my two cents.

Gary Rankin is one of the most kind-hearted people I've ever met...He may not show it on the football field...but I'll bet his players have seen it...I've seen him do things for kids...that a lot of people wouldn't do...and I know that he cares about his players...and the players on the opposing team...

I don't think he would ever intentionally run up a score...but sometimes it happens...and you can't ask a group of kids to play under their potential...