Is South Pittsburg the best in 1a

powerp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the misinformed: The "Georgia Boyd" comment is from someone who likely doesn't realize that Chattanooga is right on the TN- GA border (check a map.) Also this person doesn't realize that neighbors and relatives come from around the tri-state area to support this team (it's a 25 minute drive from Alabama, 5 from the Georgia state line.) Yes there are students from these areas also (whose parents make huge sacrifices to attend) but I am having a real problem coming up with any players on first or second string in any sport who are from across state lines. It is completely legal for them to do so, but I'm just not aware of many who do.

Who the heck is "Georgia Boyd"?

How is SP the standard by which all other 1a teams are measured? Didn't they go 1-9 or 2-8 2 years ago? I know they have a great tradition and a fine team but let's not get carried away...

Go to Earl Nall and check the last 10 years and compare records. Trousdale is the only better and they are no longer 1A.

In regards to Earl Nall's ratings, don't put much into them until week 4 or 5. They're based so much on last year right now that it's going to take a few games to sort of "level" everything out.

I actually found Sonny Moore's ratings to be pretty good, too. I used those in winning another pick 'em contest two years ago for games I had no idea about.

Who the heck is "Georgia Boyd"? 

How is SP the standard by which all other 1a teams are measured?  Didn't they go 1-9 or 2-8 2 years ago?  I know they have a great tradition and a fine team but let's not get carried away...

Go to Earl Nall and check the last 10 years and compare records. Trousdale is the only better and they are no longer 1A.

A big reason SP is better for the last 10 years is that Danny Wilson and crew won state and were in the finals a couple of times...S. Pitt's performance for the last 5 years wouldn't even get them in the top 5 1a teams in the state. Not to say they aren't a great team this year, just taking issue to the "standard" thing.

After all, by that logic one could say that Vanderbilt is the "Standard" to which all SEC teams look too...if you look at the last 100 years...

The last five years S.P. record is as follows. 1998 13-1 (lost in semifinals to eventual Champ by 10, Trousdale beat the West representative by 50) 1999 15-0 State Champs won Clinic Bowl by 30 2000 2-7 a season to forget, first losing season in around 20 years. 2001 9-5 Semifinals with a team full of sophmores, 2002 11-2 disappointing 2nd round loss. 50-13 record over the course of the last five years. I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty good.

The last five years S.P. record is as follows. 1998 13-1 (lost in semifinals to eventual Champ by 10, Trousdale beat the West representative by 50) 1999 15-0 State Champs won Clinic Bowl by 30 2000 2-7 a season to forget, first losing season in around 20 years. 2001 9-5 Semifinals with a team full of sophmores, 2002 11-2 disappointing 2nd round loss. 50-13 record over the course of the last five years. I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty good.

Certainly looks good to me.

Hey Mayarndette why u always on here talkin smack about SP we wish we had Cloudland on our schedule too, just if yall can make it on to the playoffs and we'll give yall a piece of SP football the way it really is !!!! Down in the dirty baby!!!!

backer, Maynardette is probably referring to the 2001 game at Cloudland.

I think the meeting - and that assumes, which most of us do, that both teams get that far into the playoffs - will be a true classic.

But back to Maynardette... I think she has plenty reason to be confident. Cloudland did, afterall win by nearly 40 points; but I'm sure you guys are much better this season, because as I remember, you had pretty much a sophomore team in 01.

But come to think of it, Byrd, Benfield, Sheets, Cook, Stockton, Gibbs, Lunsford and Sheets were too, sophomores. But I think it will be a record-breaker at Cloudland....it would be at Cloudland, wouldn't it?

backer, Maynardette is probably referring to the 2001 game at Cloudland.

I think the meeting - and that assumes, which most of us do, that both teams get that far into the playoffs - will be a true classic.

But back to Maynardette... I think she has plenty reason to be confident. Cloudland did, afterall win by nearly 40 points; but I'm sure you guys are much better this season, because as I remember, you had pretty much a sophomore team in 01.

But come to think of it, Byrd, Benfield, Sheets, Cook, Stockton, Gibbs, Lunsford and Sheets were too, sophomores. But I think it will be a record-breaker at Cloudland....it would be at Cloudland, wouldn't it?

If they meet again it will be at Cloudland in the Semi-finals. But there is a lot of football to be played between now and then. SP would have to get by Boyd Buchanan and Gordonsville first if not a few other teams and Cloudland would have to win their part. I would like to see a rematch, I just hate to have to make that drive again. :)