Unaka over King's Academy

krichunaka

Hey Kim,

How's Irick? I hope that the crutch thing didn't concern him. And I sincerely hope that you don't have to worry about that with any of those fine young men.

Your comment about being a 0 and 10 Ranger really struck a cord with me. I don't know if you are aware of a book called "My Losing Season" by Pat Conroy or not. Same author as "Lords of Discipline". He played basketball at the Citadel in the '60's as a point guard, and it's a biography of himself and his team. Well, to the point, the book ends with a commentary on how the team learned much more about themselves and each other, and became more complete individuals, in defeat than in any previous victory. It's a good read and I highly recommend it, what with all your free time! :rolleyes:

All Unaka fans have much to be proud of in their team, they really reflect well on the community. And yes, having boys that give it their all, and learn self-respect at 0 and 10 is better than 10 and 0 and classless. Good luck Rangers, and don't listen to critics, just leave it all on the field.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Irick is fine, and in fact he had a few carries from the Tailback position last week at KA. Thanks for asking. It's folks like you and camarogirl that make these forums bearable.

I must agree with Opti where Unaka's "basketball only" athletes are concerned, and would've otherwise overlooked TheLastWord's out of line comments; but football season tends to up the emotional level in most of us. Thankfully there are ACT scores and such to worry about.

The next few months will be very interesting, especially in our little conference, where there's an extraoidinary number of college prospects this season.

Camaro, for what it's worth my article next week in Double Play will feature Cloudland's amazing eight prospects. Imagine that, John, Eight of em, headed to Baileyton....and with lots of friends. Oh, and look for the green lady wearing the crown.

And I'll certainly attempt to read that book soon.

I'm glad he's okay, those hip pointers are something else! He is one tough son of a gun. I'm also glad you said those 8 was bringing friends, I'd hate to think we was getting ready for 11 and only 8 showed up! :(

That ACT score thing, whew, I don't know who's more nervous, me or mine!

I'm looking forward to seeing the green lady, I got a glimpse of her once in Yankeeland, she shore does stand out in a crowd! Rekkin I kin find her and pujo in the amongst all them highlanders? I hope so, sure seem like fine folks.

Boy, I'm glad some of the landers can't hold it in.... you know the thread I'm talking about..... well, makes good wallpaper in the fieldhouse. It looks like some real big ol boys are rather upset. Could play both ways.... you know which one I'm hoping on!

Talked to Eric, he said Twin Springs runs alot the same offense and defense as NG, so you should be able to get a real handle on them. I hope you deal alittle (clean) payback for my boys, they were roughly handled up there. Good luck!

Opti,

I would love to tell you, but I honestly don't understand your post. It must be my narrowmindedness. In a nutshell, what I have said on here, was in response to someone named Trout who insulted our football players by saying they should play Keenburg and Valley Forge (elementary schools in our area). I responded by saying, (and I don't apologize for it) that maybe we have to schedule schools our size because there are some fine athletes playing basketball and nothing else. I'm not insulting our basketball players. I will root them on every night with the rest of the maroon madness, but I would still like to see every athlete trying to play every sport at the school. Maybe you're asking ME why our school/community makes it an either/or proposition when it comes to football and basketball? I can't say. I don't know.

IE3 as far as were concerned,North Greene is #1 in the region, kids may post big predictions on these boards,but the team is getting prepared for a tough ballgame. Hope your son does well and now you will get to see Jeff in action. We are focused and these kids are working harder than ever this year. I think their is high. Good Luck and I,m looking forward to meeting you.

It's folks like you and camarogirl that make these forums bearable. 

Wow. Thanks for the compliment. My blood might run blue and gold but I still gotta support the locals. I happen to remember that bus ride on the way to Murfreesboro when all of Carter County was cheering for us. That was something else to see all those people lined up on the side of the road. I gained a lot of respect for the other schools that day. I've tried to return the favor ever since.

As for me and Pujo, well we are pretty easy to find. I'd make it easier for you to spot me and drive the Camaro but it is just so much cheaper to ride the bus! Just look for the one screaming the loudest when #3 does anything good. That's my boy or at least he might as well be. Of course I yell loud for all of them but just a little louder for Bebo.

As a matter of fact I was just sitting here enjoying this weeks DoublePlay. Good job on the article about college. I'm looking forward to next weeks article. And believe you me, those 8 sure do have a whole bunch of friends! Keep up the good work.

And ie3 I get what you mean about the wallpaper thing. Some people are just mouthpieces. I don't hardly think that was a player. I only know of one or two of them that actually even read this stuff. Pay them no mind. Good luck to you and your team.

Hey Camaro, I see that you too are reading the Double Play Weekly. They have really taken that thing up a notch. I too liked the article about college. Much time was spent on that. They had the best article that I have read in quiet some time this week on fifth quarter football. T.C. did a great job with it and I have heard many comments about this story. I think that Tim imput as a writer and an editor will hurt "well I won't go there" the other sports source in our town. And Kim your work is very good. I for one don't see North Greene playing the Highlanders close this week but hats off to Coach Bailey and his staff for the great job they have done with this football program. A class act is Bailey and so is his counterpart Coach Lunsford.

By the way Camaro, that # 3 is one good receiver. I was talking to Tim of Double Play and he said that he felt like Hughes, King, Stocton and Christman were the best wide receiver / tight end combination in the state. The Highlanders will be undefeated when they meet Greenback later down the road.

When I informed Charles Lee he'd been named the Tennessee 1A player of the week, he replied, "What's that?'... then winked. His response defines the 2003 Rangers.

Camaro, you'd have to see it...Julie Roberson is his girlfriend. Well she's six-one, he's 5' 8" (on his tiptoes) - 145 lbs. If only we could draw pictures on here. :D

Both of you are too kind with your compliments of Double Play. As to my part, I simply want to further the Unaka cause in the face of much undue criticism, and to salute their occasional successes.

Beyond that I have for the past two-years-plus, attempted to tell the Cloudland story, albeit from somewhat of an outside-looking-in perspective.

etsports, I know you're very much aware of what these Unaka seniors and their coach have endured: wisecracks and putdowns from their "more successful" school mates, and unfortunately similar remarks from many otherwise respectable community members and so on. Add to that the phenomenol Cloudland success and......... oh well.

And ets, John, camaro - Remind me early next week to tell you about Cobby Ensor and the "film." Hilarious!!!

Hey guys!

I know that other bunch is just a kid blowing smoke, but I can't say it hurts! North Greene knows what it faces, and the boys just want a little respect, both as a team and individually. And, well, I don't have to tell you the value of emotion on a football team. They've proven they won't give up, now they feel it's time to see if they can play with the big boys, at least for a little while.

Pujo, you are right, from everything I've read, Jeff is the biggest challenge Eric will face this year. Harrison is very good, as is Garland, but Jeff should let him know just how he measures up. Sometimes a man, even a young one, wants to know how he stands up against the best.

I'll be happy if the boys can play the landers close for a quarter or two, like they did with Greenback in the playoffs last year. You always must strive to improve!

Camarogirl, I'll be watching for #3, I hope he has a fine evening (well, somewhat anyway! :D ), mine is #68, he'll be on the line all night. So far he's missed about 3 plays with 1st string in.

I look forward to finding you and pujo, it'll be nice to finally put a name to a face. Till, Friday.....

To Krich,- there is no need to take back any statements. The crutch comment was not aimed at any football player, or the team for that matter. It is a fact that low expectations breed low success. Constantly harping on how everybody else is responsible for their lack of success is a great disservice to those young men because it only makes it acceptable for them to continue to fail. And that's the truth. If you are one of those young men reading this, rise above it and turn the corner. If you are an appeaser and an excuse maker, realize the harm that you may be doing.

Now, Creekerfan,- you are still blaming basketball players for football's lack of success. I would like to know,- in the history of the football program at Unaka, have the basketball "players" always been responsible for their lack of success? Do all the baseball players play football? Do all the baseball players play basketball? Do all the football players play basketball? My forty years of observation of all the sports programs should give me a little insight into this. I can only conclude one thing: you get out what you put in. So, in with excuses, out with excuses. And that's the truth.

The LastWord,

You've made some very accurate points, and yes, we have pleny-nuff confidence that your forty years justify your candor. It's just that it would've been much better had you respected the thread for it's literal intent.

You've backhanded some fine boys on what shoulda been nothing but an otherwise positive topic.

Maybe that's the one thing your forty years didn't teach you. You, of all the people, should know that these kids do infact read these items, but YOU chose to throw the now infamous crutch remark in. Further, you've come back to the same thread, and rather than be man enough to retract your put down (again, look at the topic) you're now piling on.

Creekerfan is a true Ranger fan, and who knows much about the Unaka program, and yes, there is a twenty- plus years history of the basketball, and yes, baseball players not participating in football. I think that with the Single A only schedule Coach Ensor has imposed as his team hits stride, and with a few more wins, then that will change to the better; because as you've stated, you "get out what you put in."

Would have been much better had you started your own Ranger Bashing thread, rather than to spoil an otherwise bright moment for these men. Forty years should've handed you a little more discretion. Other "late hits," LastWord?