Ryan Week!

TheBigRedDog

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If coach Rutledge was smart, he would go ahead and let the middle school play in this one for experience. He should take the varsity out for a nice dinner and have them in bed by 9:00 so that they can catch up on all the sleep they have missed the past couple of fridays. However i dont think it would be a bad idea if Rutledge went ahead and let the JV dress out as well, just incase needed.

If coach Rutledge was smart, he would go ahead and let the middle school play in this one for experience. He should take the varsity out for a nice dinner and have them in bed by 9:00 so that they can catch up on all the sleep they have missed the past couple of fridays. However i dont think it would be a bad idea if Rutledge went ahead and let the JV dress out as well, just incase needed.

My sentiments exactly. MBA will humiliate and demoralize Father Ryan. Ryan just does not have the hosses it use to have.

The formation of the Super 7 in football has created several new rivalries. Now that MBA and BA play each other at least once (usually twice) each year, I think the rivalry has shifted in that direction. The heated rivalry with Father Ryan, at least for now, seems to have cooled.

I do not agree with you guys that the Irish are terrible. They have not enjoyed as much success as they are used to there recently, but playing in DII has a lot to do with that. The league is very tough. They started the year with a big win over Franklin County and are showing signs of improving. I wish their players and coaching staff much success in the future. Good luck Friday night.

I echo gobigred's sentiments. I am interested in, and am concerned about, every game, but given the presence of new rivals, coupled with Ryan's semi-decline since the end of 1997, the rivalry just isn't as intense. Back in the old 11-AAA days, with a few exceptions, Ryan and MBA played 9 public schools and 1 private school (each other) annually, so that battle was always intense; now, both schools play at least six other privates per year. I also think the rivalry flickered somewhat when FRHS moved away from Elliston Place to Franklin Road (how long ago was that - 10 years ago or so?).

Does the cannon painting tradition still continue?

As for the game, MBA needs to play each game like it's a state title game, this one included. Roll Red Roll.

Good points, guys. I guess the times have changed. The rivalry with BA was just starting to grow when I was there and the rivalry with Ryan was starting to fade a bit. I do think, however, that if Ryan was more competitive the rivalry could still be a good one.

I don't know if the cannon painting continues since our buddy, Brad, decided to move them out of public sight, onto the porch of the Carter building. Even if they(Ryan) were defacing our property it was still a great tradition. I'll never forget the year they caught the guys that did it and Mr. Regen made them come over and repaint them black in front of the entire student body. Good times.

When I said Ryan was terrible, I meant it in the nicest possible way.

no more "Evil Empire of Elliston Place." Used to be THE game. Some sweet ones at Dudley field (and some not so sweet ones). Will never forget 41-0 in 1991.

I just wish I had been on hand for Ricky's running up the score in '99 when all those Ryan players were ejected..

It's like the SEC and the split. If you're a UT fan, Florida (BA) has dwarfed Alabama (Ryan), especially as the latter took a nosedive recently. Will never fail to enjoy a win over the Irish, though...

edit: that was 1992 when Regen made the guys paint the cannons back to black in front of everyone....DR really kept the torment to a minimum tough; he wouldn't let everyone camp out around them and give them grief...I just remember them on the cover of the Bell Ringer under the Headline: "Good will always defeat Evil becase Evil is Dumb." That stuff was in good humor (akin to stealing mascots, etc.) I understand they took it too far last year...

Edited by MBAalumnus