Rivalries. . .we've heard about the best.

SemperFiBlue

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be neat if somebody actually was able to design a website that displayed the historical records and had some interesting tidbits about each prep football program in the state of Tennessee. The only problem is, finding all the historical records for each team would be a process that could take quite some time.

If I had the know-how on how to design a website I think this might be a project I'd consider taking up, only I'm 24 and I don't know anything about designing or running a website.

But I bet such information would be useful.

I think Coffee County needs to start selling annual Media Guides like colleges do that displays historical records and interesting facts about the school. It sure would be nice.

Pplayer11, do you know how long South Pittsburg has been playing those teams and if they've faced them every year and when was the first games between the two schools in each case?

Hey Spear24, has Tennessee High and Virginia High been playing each other consecutively since 1921? That would be alot of meetings! It seems like every rivalry out there has been suspended for some time or another. Did that not happen in this case?

South Pittsburg vs Marion County High (Jasper)

This season will mark the 79th official meeting as members of the TSSAA. They didn't compete every year during WWII and perhaps once or twice during the Korean War.

Somethings are more important than football even in South Pittsburg. These schools did play prior to formal organization of Tennessee High School Athletics but the official records seen in the Chattanooga paper refer to TSSAA sanctioned games (SPHS 39, MCHS 35, ties. The TSSAA was formed in 1925. I think the schools played twice in one season in the 1920s.

Marion County High was founded in 1910 previously known as Prior Institute.

Whitwell High was founded in 1923 or 28.

South Pittsburg was founded as a City school and became a county school around 1973 or 1974. Every time some jacka** is Jasper talks about a consolidated county school South Pittsburg threatens to pull out of the county system.

Regardless the TSSAA was formed in 1925 so thats when the official records start. The Pirate-Warrior Clash as it is known pre-dates that as does a few other rivalries around the State.